Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS T2, iPhone 6, Cybook Orizon, Cybook Gen3
Using calibre's editor independently

As stated in the subject: would it be possible to use the editor as a "standalone application"?
I'd like to use it to create/edit epub files without necessarily going through the calibre's library.

Thanks
sbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Yes, you can invoke the book editor without starting calibre.
See calibre manual for command-line usage:

ebook-edit [opts] [path_to_ebook]
Launch the calibre edit book tool.

Whenever you pass arguments to ebook-edit that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks.

[options]

--detach
Detach from the controlling terminal, if any (linux only)

--edit-file
Edit the named file inside the book

--help, -h
show this help message and exit

--version
show program’s version number and exit
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
If you are on Windows, you can also drag and drop your epub file onto the ebook-edit.exe.

Or you could create a link to ebook-edit.exe on your desktop or wherever you want it and drop epubs onto that.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You can bring in html files, you can type directly into a new html file you create in the editor, but you can not bring in text files or other files and expect them to be converted.

The editor is currently lacking spell checking and other functions found in word processing programs, so those functions are best done in that sort of program.

Atlantis Word Processor has these functions and publishes to epub, so it can create, but not edit epubs. You can fix problems and republish again, but not tweak the finished epub in AWP. That is the job of epub editors like this one.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
If you are on Windows, you can also drag and drop your epub file onto the ebook-edit.exe.

Or you could create a link to ebook-edit.exe on your desktop or wherever you want it and drop epubs onto that.
Or put a shortcut to it in your Send To folder and send books to it

Or add an item to the windows shell menu (eg Edit) that opens file in editor when you select it

Or put it in the Windows Open With list for epubs and AZWs

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
This was the kind of solution I was looking for, but I'm on a Mac and there's no individual .app file for me to use.

@mrmikel: I don't need to write a book, I just wish to replace the "old" Sigil application.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On the mac you can simply run it via

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/ebook-edit

in a terminal. It should be possibel to create a launcher script for it that you can add to your dock, but I'm not a Mac guy, so I cant give you details on that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
sbin
Voracious reader

I'm not (yet) a mac-girl either, I'm still adjusting. I'll make do with the command line. Thanks
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
I am a Mac guy, though not deeply so. I've managed to create a script that launches ebook-edit from the dock, but it won't accept files dropped on it. If anybody else has managed that I'd be grateful for hearing how.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I am not a Mac person and don't plan on becoming one, but according to stackoverflow you can create an Automator app:

Quote:
I don't know of a way to have the raw script accept drag-and-dropped files, but there are a number of options to wrap it in something else that accepts drag-and-drop, and passes the files to a script. IMO the quickest option is to wrap the script in an Automator application. Run /Applications/Automator.app, select Application as the type for your new project, drag the "Run Shell Script" action from the actions list (second column) into the workflow (right column), set its "Pass input" to "as arguments", paste in the shell script, then save the app. Done.

Other options for wrapping a shell script include: AppleScript, Platypus, and DropScript.

Looking at the Applescript method, it sounds like you should use:

Code:
on open filelist
  repeat with i in filelist
     do shell script "ebook-edit " & quoted form of POSIX path of i
  end repeat
end open
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I am not a Mac person and don't plan on becoming one, but according to stackoverflow you can create an Automator app:
Thanks! The particular code you suggested didn't work for me, and anyway I only want to launch one book at a time. I used this instead:
Code:
while ( $# )
	ebook-edit "$1"
	shift
end
and everything worked swimingly.

Further details, for others who might want to do this, in the Automator dialog:
Shell:/bin/csh
Pass Input: as arguments

EDIT: I should have realized, but this script will only take books dropped on it. It does not launch the program independently. That's ok for me, but you may have a different work flow.

Last edited by loximuthal; 02-22-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loximuthal View Post
Thanks! The particular code you suggested didn't work for me, and anyway I only want to launch one book at a time. I used this instead:
Code:
while ( $# )
	ebook-edit "$1"
	shift
end
and everything worked swimingly.

Further details, for others who might want to do this, in the Automator dialog:
Shell:/bin/csh
Pass Input: as arguments

EDIT: I should have realized, but this script will only take books dropped on it. It does not launch the program independently. That's ok for me, but you may have a different work flow.
Try this instead:

Code:
if [ "$1" != "" ]
	while [ "$1" != "" ]
		ebook-edit "$1"
		shift
	done
else
	ebook-edit
fi
So it only calls your code if arguments are passed, else it just calls ebook-edit.

DISCLAIMER: I am allowed to know this since I am a linux guy even though I'm not a Mac guy.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
loximuthal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
DISCLAIMER: I am allowed to know this since I am a linux guy even though I'm not a Mac guy.
I'll give that a whirl when I get home. I should have thought of that myself, seeing as I do a fair amount of Linux shell scripting here at work
Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
loximuthal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by loximuthal View Post
I'll give that a whirl when I get home. I should have thought of that myself, seeing as I do a fair amount of Linux shell scripting here at work
Well, a fair amount for an office full of non-programmers, including me. That particular syntax didn't work, so I've got to sort out the details. Which won't happen for a while, as life is kinda full and the tiny script I originally had does 80% of what I wanted. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and I'll head that way when I can.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Because I'm an idiot and I forgot to make the while and if loops start...

Here's the real code:

Code:
if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
	while [ "$1" != "" ]; do
		ebook-edit "$1"
		shift
	done
	echo "if-loop"
else
	ebook-edit
fi
I actually tried this on my Ubuntu box this time.

It works, but only starts the next book once you close the first one. Fortunately, calibre has a --detach parameter, so:

Code:
if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
	while [ "$1" != "" ]; do
		ebook-edit --detach "$1"
		shift
	done
else
	ebook-edit
fi
This works for me. My previous code didn't work for me any more than it worked for you.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-25-2014 at 03:23 PM.