Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
semsaudade
semsaudade began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader for a large ebook collection

Hi everybody. I tried to look around between different threads, but I can not find what I'm looking for. In a nutshell, I would need an ebook reader that could easily handle large collections of books in ePub format (about 10,000 titles) saved on a SD card.

The books are not all properly tagged, so it would be really useless a device missing a proper a file manager and basing its indexing exclusively on tags (author-title) of files (I also know that some e-readers might freeze or remain frozen for a long time when there are too many titles to index).

Also I have no need for a wifi connection: indeed, the ideal would be to download books from PC to the memory of the e-reader or on a microsd (perhaps without having to use proprietary software for the connection: a USB cable and a chance to see the e-reader as a disk drive connected to the PC would be ideal).

Is there something like this (and, of course, is a quality product and not cost a fortune)?

Thanks in advance to all for your help and kindness!
Giancarlo
semsaudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
You need a reader that supports folders rather than tags to organize the library. PocketBook, Onyx and Bookeen are the brands that you should look at.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Also the new Icarus Illumina HD
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm merely curious:

Why would you want 10,000 ebooks on one reader?

Reading 100 ebooks a year would still take you 100 years - assuming you didn't amass more titles. Add that time to your current age and the prospect becomes...well, rather unrealistic. (Of course, if you read 200 ebooks a year, then you might be able to accomplish your task of reading 10,000 ebooks in only 50 years. This is quite reasonable if you're a young person in his or her teens. By that time, though, they might be able to implant the collection inside a person.)

Of course, you may want them on your Reader just to know that you have 10,000 ebooks, and that if you wish to look at them you can do so.

I recognize that a desire to actually read these books might not be of paramount importance, and that another reason may be a motivating factor, sort of like collecting stamps. (I did this as a youngster, so I can fully empathize with that kind of thinking, if that's the case.)

Have you considered putting your collection into calibre? If not, you may wish to consider that as a more viable alternative.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-05-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
semsaudade
semsaudade began at the beginning.

Device: none
Curiosity

Thanks for your kind answers!

To Dr. Drib, I think I am kind of a collectionist (as you say) and like to have all my ebooks with me all the time. I use Calibre, but it is quite heavy and it organizes books in its own way (it makes copies of files and keeps books in folders and subfolders in a quite complicated way, in my opionion).
semsaudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Something like a Nook HD would be good for what you want. It's small, you can manage files, organize in folders however you want, put the entire collection on the SD card and pop it in....for that amount of books, the Nook HD would work better than any e-ink reader.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
You need a reader that supports folders rather than tags to organize the library. PocketBook, Onyx and Bookeen are the brands that you should look at.
Hint for PockeBook: Switch of the automatically updating of the library. It serves time after starting the reader. You can do it instead when it's really neccesary.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Recently I got a Kobo Aura, and put a 16G card in it. I now have about 10,000 on it divided between the main memory and the SD card. It does have wifi, but after registering it I turned the wifi off. When rebooting, you have to check to make sure it's still off.

I really like it. I'm a Sony fan, but between the fact the new ones aren't being sold in the US and that there's nothing new in them I'm interested in anyway, I decided to try to Kobo.

It seems to handle the high number of files well, although I did load it up the first week I had it and at around 20,000 found the response time was just too long to bother with. I'm not sure I'd put too much more than the 10,000 on it, but may play with that more in the future.

I use the Calibre plug-in (Kobo Touch Extended If I remember correctly) to load "Collections" from Calibre to the Kobo. But the Library search on the device works just fine. When I know the title or the series name, it's easier so far to pull the books up that way. (I put the series name in the title, so it's always there. I don't make them a separate column in Calibre.)

The light is nice, and I like it better than the (1st Gen) Paperwhite and the Nook Glow. The touch type of screen does seem to 'miss' some page turns and I have to touch multiple times sometimes. I suspect it happens because I touch the same part of the screen over and over and probably leave too many fingerprints on it after reading for a few hours. Turning it off and using a microfibre cloth seems to fix the problem.

So far, I'm enjoying it very much.

Otherwise, I find it easier to take my total collection on a tablet. I have an Ipad mini and a Nexus 7 that have the space and the ability to store the files in folders. Then I just touch on the book I want and it asks what app to open it up in. I like them a lot, but find I can't read for long periods on a tablet. Eink is more comfortable for me.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote