Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
maximus83
Nameless Being

An epub app that works on the Fire without rooting?

Has anyone found a good Epub reader app that works on the Kindle Fire without having to re-root to Android?

I did the rooting but found that I didn't really need hundreds of Android apps, I only use a few, so I went back to the factory OS/configuration. But the ONE thing I want that (of course!) doesn't seem to be available is, an epub reader for content that's not available in Amazon's .mobi format. I'm not expecting Amazon would provide such an app, of course, but hoping something is out there that could be sideloaded or whatever.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Has anyone found a good Epub reader app that works on the Kindle Fire without having to re-root to Android?

I did the rooting but found that I didn't really need hundreds of Android apps, I only use a few, so I went back to the factory OS/configuration. But the ONE thing I want that (of course!) doesn't seem to be available is, an epub reader for content that's not available in Amazon's .mobi format. I'm not expecting Amazon would provide such an app, of course, but hoping something is out there that could be sideloaded or whatever.
I sideloaded Aldiko on my KF without rooting...it works just fine.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
maximus83
Nameless Being

Thanks.

I just learned about Mandano Premium reader (mentioned in one of the sticky posts). It costs $4.99 but is supposed to be outstanding.

http://slideme.org/application/mantano-reader-premium

Here's the sequence I used to install it on a regular, non-rooted Kindle, worked fine.

1. Go to site above, sign up and create an account. I found it was easier to do this on my regular desktop PC.
2. Log into the account, browse back to the Mandano Premium page, and click to pay (you'll be able to pay using Paypal, a Visa, or whatever).
3. After you pay, it's time to download their apps. Browse to the above link on your Kindle Fire in the browser, and log into your new account. You need to be connected via WiFi for this to work.
4. Click the link on the page to install SAM 4.5 (the SlideMe application marketplace app--this is the app that sort of lets you browse their various apps and install them).
5. After you follow the onscreen prompts to install SAM 4.5, now on your Kindle, go Home, and then find the new "Me" icon for the SAM 4.5 app, and open it.
6. Click the Menu icon at bottom of screen, then click "Storage Locker." This is where the Mantano reader app that you paid for will be available.
7. Login again if prompted, using your new Slideme account.
8. In the storage locker, tap the Mantano Premium Reader item. You should see 2 buttons: Compatibility, and "Download" or "Redownload."
9. Press the download/redownload button.
10. Follow the on-screen prompts to install Mantano.

This all worked great for me, was very intuitive. From what I've read, Mantano is an incredibly nice reader for epub books and is well worth the money. I'll report back on my reactions to the reader.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The top apps would probably be Mantano, Aldiko, BlueFire, FB Reader and Moon+. You don't have to root the Fire to sideload apps onto it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
yogibare143
Tolkien Rules!
yogibare143 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kindle Fire
I use Mantano. Works great!
yogibare143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Mantano is what I use. I also use for library books the Overdrive media app.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I just installed Cool reader for android
It reads both Epub& .mobi so now I can read my.mobi books from Amazon without
having to switch back over the the Old stock interface/launcher to use the native kindle app
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Liza59
Liza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: ereader
I second the Overdrive app. I use it for my library epubs and any other ones. It's also free. Look for the link to DL directly from overdrive. (Make sure that under the more options of settings you have selected to allow installation of apps under the device options.)
http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/
Liza59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mantano is what I use. I also use for library books the Overdrive media app.
Blossom, a question on that. Since you have Mantano (which in my experiences thus far and comparing it to other reader software I've used on other devices, is the coolest reader ever), what benefit do you find that the Overdrive client software gives you? Is it mainly just convenience of checking out and downloading books from your library site, and then integrate them easily into Mantano reader?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Blossom, a question on that. Since you have Mantano (which in my experiences thus far and comparing it to other reader software I've used on other devices, is the coolest reader ever), what benefit do you find that the Overdrive client software gives you? Is it mainly just convenience of checking out and downloading books from your library site, and then integrate them easily into Mantano reader?
I prefer Mantano but yes I have to plug in the Fire and open ADE and drag the book in ADE to the Fire. I have over 800 books in ADE and it doesn't handle the KF connected too well. I use OMC because I can download the book directly to my Fire and read from there. If ADE wasn't such a pita I would use Mantano.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I prefer Mantano but yes I have to plug in the Fire and open ADE and drag the book in ADE to the Fire. I have over 800 books in ADE and it doesn't handle the KF connected too well. I use OMC because I can download the book directly to my Fire and read from there. If ADE wasn't such a pita I would use Mantano.

What is ADE?
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
What is ADE?

Adobe Digital Editions.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
maximus83
Nameless Being

So I have Mandano premium, works fine with other epubs. I installed overdrive and downloaded Adobe epubs from my local library, and added my Adobe ADE account info in Mandano. But when I try to open the books downloaded from Overdrive in Mandano, it says cannot open the file. The books open fine in Overdrive.

Any idea why mandano cannot open these overdrive epub files, even though I entered my Adobe ADE account info?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
maximus83
Nameless Being

Well I figured out a solution of sorts: when I download via Overdrive, Mantano cannot directly open the epub files. Instead, I have to download the files from my library as the .acsm files that adobe packages their efiles in. Then if you sideload those .acsm files onto your kindle and "Import" with Mantano, it converts them to .epub format and sticks them in the "Digital Editions" folder.

Bottom line: if I download library Epub books with overdrive, I cannot read them in Mantano. I have to download them first to my computer in .acsm format, then sideload to Kindle, then import into Mandano. So I don't really need Overdrive I guess.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Well I figured out a solution of sorts: when I download via Overdrive, Mantano cannot directly open the epub files. Instead, I have to download the files from my library as the .acsm files that adobe packages their efiles in.
You misunderstand what is going on. Adobe does not "package their epubs in an acsm file."

The acsm file is nothing but a link to download the authorized document file.

You need to open the acsm file with an ADEPT enabled app, like ADE or Overdrive, etc, and the acsm file points the app to a server to download a DRM protected book file that your app is authorized to read.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote