Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Eliot, Charles W. (editor): Harvard Classics 52: 15 Minutes a Day Guide [RTF]

This is a RTF file of the 15 minute guide. Note the page numbers on the references are for the paper edition of the harvard classics.

Mark

Attachment removed by moderator. This forum is only for the posting of LRF files, as stated here.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro View Post
This is a RTF file of the 15 minute guide. Note the page numbers on the references are for the paper edition of the Harvard Classics.

Mark
We do appreciate that you've takent he time to format this and post it here. But, RTF is an incorrect format for ebooks to be upload. I suggest you download Book Designer + the update and then load in the RTF and setup a nice ToC and create an LRF file for posting.

The following link is to the thread containing the Book Designer attachements. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786

Once you have created a nicely formatted LRF, please feel free to post.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

While I do understand about posting to an appropriate thread, my problem is I use a MacMini and BD is a Windows program. I also do not have the template for the first page to make it part of a finished set with the rest of the HC in LRF format that have been posted. I am not opposed to someone taking the RTF and finishing it. I posted to this thread because it hosts the primary Harvard Classic documents.

Personally I use RTF as my standard DOC storage since is usually easily converted to or read by most machines. One of the reasons I bought the Sony reader is its ability to directly read RTFs.

Mark
Old 06-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think *someone* needs to use the first page.....

of the Harvard Classics series., so that this RTF can be removed.

Now, who could possibly have that first page?

Don

P.S.: And thanks, MMascaro for the addition to the Harvard Classics Series!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-30-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Thanking MMascaro - "Howdy, there!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are a number of tools available for Mac users to create LRF books. If you ask for advice on the Reader Contents forum, people will be happy to assist.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
rwood seems to be posting only the first 49 books

a reading guide would be good

what's 50 and 51?

where is rwood in all of this?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
MMascaro
Zealot

According to Wikipedia the last three are

HC:50 The Editor's Introduction, The Reader's Guide, and Index
I have not seen any online version of this volume.

HC:51 Lectures on the Harvard Classics
Available thru http://www.bartleby.com/60/
I am converting this to a RTF right now and will try to make a LRF when done.

HC:52 15 Minutes a Day Reader Guide
See the RTF above.

Mark
Old 06-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have a PDF copy of vols 50 and 51 from the Internet Archives. I have put these aside to complete the original 49 volumes. If MMascaro wants I can take his original RTF files and convert these to LRF and PRC/MOBI for posting here at MobileRead.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
MMascaro
Zealot

RWood

Go for it. That will give everyone a complete set with the same look and feel through the whole set, which is what I was aiming for in the first place.

Mark
Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
What the?

There is no RTF above! As a result, no info on "Harvard Classics, Volume 52: 15 Minutes a Day Guide" is presented here.

Can someone upload a copy of that .rtf so that it can be converted to the MobileRead ebook formats.

Thanks in advance!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Could we move the whole thread, with the attachment, to the 'Other books' section?
This should resolve any problems.
If it appears there, I will happily make an LRF version, if MMascaro gives permission for his/her text to be used.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I have not found the reading guide of volume 52 anywhere and only find this reference that suggests that it is copyrighted 1930.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was able to resurrect the "Volume 52: 15 Minutes a Day Guide" website ( http://www.mensetmanus.net/inspirati...minutes_a_day/ ) that is currently on-line again! defunct using the archive.org's Wayback Machine using this link --> http://web.archive.org/web/200706102...minutes_a_day/

Just surf that page but realize that it was last compiled in June 2007 and may not include all attachments. It's at least a start...

I'm still searching for a "all-in-one" .rtf otherwise each month's pages must be compiled together.

RWood, is this the "15 minute guide" you remember seeing?

EDIT: added all pages (intro and each month) in MS Word .doc format for further processing...
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HC52_DOC.zip (736.1 KB, 830 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-02-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: original website back on-line
Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I was able to resurrect the "Volume 52: 15 Minutes a Day Guide" website ( http://www.mensetmanus.net/inspirati...minutes_a_day/ ) that is currently defunct using the archive.org's Wayback Machine using this link --> http://web.archive.org/web/200706102...minutes_a_day/

Just surf that page but realize that it was last compiled in June 2007 and may not include all attachments. It's at least a start...

I'm still searching for a "all-in-one" .rtf otherwise each month's pages must be compiled together.

RWood, is this the "15 minute guide" you remember seeing?

EDIT: added all pages (intro and each month) in MS Word .doc format for further processing...
Yes, that is the site that I found some time ago. Bob Russell originally sent me a link to the site.

While this volume of the book is published in 1930, it is credited to Dr. Eicot who died in 1926, thus it is out of copyright everywhere in the world perhaps except the US.

There are several problems in producing an ebook from this extract and in using this guide with the Harvard Classics as published on MobileRead.
  1. The MobileRead Harvard Classics do not have fixed page numbers. Thus Patricia's Volume 1, page 79 may be my Volume 1, page 124 since I may be using a larger font size than her. This can also vary from device to device and Nick may view his files on a REB1200 while I would use a Sony PRS-500.
  2. The original page numbers were not preserved (even when they were available in the page scans) from the source materials.
  3. The source material provided by Nick contains hyperlinks to pages outside the text that must be edited.
That said, the additional editing to remove the header, footer, and internal page numbers is very trivial.

We can do the volume from these files. Given the stated limitations the question is, "Does it serve any real purpose to add this volume to the collection?"
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Yes, that is the site that I found some time ago. Bob Russell originally sent me a link to the site.

While this volume of the book is published in 1930, it is credited to Dr. Eicot who died in 1926, thus it is out of copyright everywhere in the world perhaps except the US.

There are several problems in producing an ebook from this extract and in using this guide with the Harvard Classics as published on MobileRead.
  1. The MobileRead Harvard Classics do not have fixed page numbers. Thus Patricia's Volume 1, page 79 may be my Volume 1, page 124 since I may be using a larger font size than her. This can also vary from device to device and Nick may view his files on a REB1200 while I would use a Sony PRS-500.
  2. The original page numbers were not preserved (even when they were available in the page scans) from the source materials.
  3. The source material provided by Nick contains hyperlinks to pages outside the text that must be edited.
That said, the additional editing to remove the header, footer, and internal page numbers is very trivial.

We can do the volume from these files. Given the stated limitations the question is, "Does it serve any real purpose to add this volume to the collection?"
If I converted the .doc to .html and made a .imp ebook, any hyperlinks that were external (or not found) would be simply ignored. In that case, would you need to edit the hyperlinks out? How would BD handle this?

Yes, 'making reference to page numbers' is a chronic problem with ebooks viewed on varied sized ebook readers. While I do think page numbers are useful, I would surmise that I would "struggle" through without them and circumvent this limitation by either giving up on the link or being creative in sourcing the true page referred to.

So, I still believe it would be of great value to have Volume 52 in ebook format. Case in point, Volume 50, the Index one, has the same problem referring to page numbers (maybe that's what's holding it back from being converted into ebook format :dig: :dig: )

Any other comments/ideas? Can I help with an "all-in-one" file?

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-13-2008 at 08:25 PM.