Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Document conversion challenge

Today, I was in a student office at university lining up to get the 2009 Honours Handbook being printed out for me. As it was printing out, I was reading something on my Sony Reader and it attracted the interest of a academic member. As I showed it off, I was interrupted by the document being handed to me. He layed down the challenge: "Hey, you should put that on your PDA!"
So.. the challenge: how can I convert this document so it views great on my Sony PRS-500, and subsequently for any Sony Reader? http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/pdfs/...s_handbook.pdf
I'm looking for the best conversion technique available.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The best way will be to start from the original source not the output PDF, then set it to use a page size of 88.184mm x 113.854 mm.

Also see here.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre will take PDFs and output them to LRF, which can be read on the Sony reader--assuming the PDF is a tagged file (and not an image file). If it's not a tagged file, get the original document, which is most likely in Word. I have tried this, and it does work well, depending on the condition of the original document.

(Edit: Just glanced at the doc, and it should work fine in Calibre.)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 03-11-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Today, I was in a student office at university lining up to get the 2009 Honours Handbook being printed out for me. As it was printing out, I was reading something on my Sony Reader and it attracted the interest of a academic member. As I showed it off, I was interrupted by the document being handed to me. He layed down the challenge: "Hey, you should put that on your PDA!"
So.. the challenge: how can I convert this document so it views great on my Sony PRS-500, and subsequently for any Sony Reader? http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/pdfs/...s_handbook.pdf
Actually, if you import that .pdf into Mobipocket Creator, it will do a very decent job OCR'ing it into .html. From the resulting .prc ebook, just add it to Calibre and convert it to .lrf or .epub there.

However, it's not perfect and would need to be "cleaned up" or tweaked to fit on the Sony's screen better.

Here are some Q&D results of that conversion, done in less than five minutes.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Sure, it'll convert reasonably well, but it looked to me as if it's the output of an in-house process (my guess would be from some form of Tex input?) so, give the requirement of the best technique, it's got to be to start from the original source!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Sure, it'll convert reasonably well, but it looked to me as if it's the output of an in-house process (my guess would be from some form of Tex input?) so, give the requirement of the best technique, it's got to be to start from the original source!
Can't really tell what the master document was, but that PDF was definitely generated from TeX - the layout and the fonts especially are a dead giveaway (the fonts are all CMS).
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For tex based documents a simple

\usepackage{geometry} and specifying the correct page size will work, provided the TeX file doesn't use any poorly implemented macros.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I'm afraid as far as getting the original document (LaTeX): I believe it would fall into the "Special Request" category.
I have looked at conversion options at hand and the best I have found so far was using Acrobat to convert the document to HTML then convert that using Calibre. It's not ideal though. Oversized tables get "squashed" and internal hyperlinks are lost. I've attached the results if anyone is interested.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf hons handbook - Unknown.lrf (628.3 KB, 232 views)
File Type: gz hons_handbook.html.tar.gz (213.0 KB, 230 views)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, part of the problem is that you didn't really say what about the original document it was most important to keep, and what was important to you and what wasn't. Is file size important? Is flexibility/zooming/reflowing important? Is preserving the exact look of tables, etc., important?

Attached you'll see what I probably would have done with it personally: I fed it through PDFLRF, which created an image-based LRF. It would be viewable on your reader if held sideways fairly well, and it looks almost identical to the original document. The characters are rather small, but I think still legible.

More downsides: these are images, so there's no zooming. The file size is enormous compared to the original document (more than 10x the size).

Obviously, getting your hands on the original .tex file and working with that would give the best results.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf hons_handbook.lrf (4.74 MB, 244 views)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote