Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #1
digital punk
digital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo + kindle
kobo touch battery help?

Hi

My new kobo touch battery lasts around 3 days. Is that really normal for the kobo or should I try and get it replaced? Or is there some bug that's causing it to use more power than it needs?

It lasts about 3 days no matter how much i'm reading or not reading it. It also doesn't give any low battery warnings. One day I'm looking at a battery logo that is half full. Next time I pick it up the screen is frozen and only a hefty recharge brings it back to life.

this can't be normal surely?
digital punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
dgvirtual
Enthusiast
dgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Mine, which is now almost two years old, lasts far far longer, so i do think you should get it replaced. But first do try upgrading the firmware.

On the other hand, it seems to be a common problem, that the ereader dies when the battery indicator has just been showing a charge above 30%. You can find my tests in this forum, just search for „kobo touch battery"
dgvirtual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
That's NOT a normal battery life. I would 2nd the suggestion to make sure you have up to date firmware (do a sync) because there was a bug with some specific devices showing what you are seeing. The other option would be doing a factory reset in case you've ran into the rare situation that a book you've added is causing the issue.
Return/exchange is definitely in order if it doesn't get better.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
There are a lot of factors that influence battery life. If you're connected to wifi, that will drain the battery faster. If you're reading a large book -- like one with a few MB rather than one that's only a few hundred KB -- that will influence drain. I read a 12 MB book (had a lot of photos in it) and it drained the battery over a few days of normal reading. Mostly, I can go a few weeks without a recharge, as long as I keep wifi off and am reading average-sized files.

I'm sure others here can add other factors that would speed up battery drain. Before assuming it *is* the battery, which it could be, check if it's something that you're doing to cause the drain.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
As I recall, from other posts I've read, Kobo loads the entire file into memory assuming it fits... It makes me wonder if the memory system is segmented in terms of being powered up? If so, it might help explain why larger books seem to drain the battery faster while reading, and perhaps in standby as well if they must keep a larger portion of the memory powered up to preserve the contents... I'm not very well informed regarding the hardware, but it sure would be interesting to look the memory up and see if the chip(s) supports a segmented power scheme of some sort.

As a test, anyone experiencing excessive battery drain might consider looking at the eBook file and using Calibre or an editor to split the file by chapters and see if they get better battery life.

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-17-2014 at 09:18 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
digital punk
digital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of light

This is quite new so I'm presuming that the firmware was updated when I activated the device? (it logged on to kobo and did some stuff).

The abysmal battery life is also not the only problem. This thing crashes way too much. It will even crash while i'm reading. It doesn't show a sleep message in this case. It takes holding both buttons down for a long time to get it back. When it comes back it the pages are at a wildly different location.

I guess I'm going to write to kobo about it. I'm pretty annoyed. What a waste of time.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
With those problems, it could be a faulty device. It could also be a problem with the firmware install when you set the device up. We have had a few reports of weird problem with new Kobo devices. Doing a factory reset and letting the device go through the setup again has fixed a lot of these. If this doesn't help, it is probably a hardware fault and you should ask for a replacement.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
digital punk

I've done now two or three factory resets in total over the last few weeks. No improvements. This thing has some serious problems. Waiting for kobo to write back.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital punk View Post
I've done now two or three factory resets in total over the last few weeks. No improvements. This thing has some serious problems. Waiting for kobo to write back.
Bring it back to the store you purchased it at, and exchange it for a new unit.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote