Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #31
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
It's interesting that like-mindedness tends to shape assessment at every level of a debate. People who believe in one idea as opposed to another will award points to the person who reiterates a joke as opposed to the one who actually thought of it.

I say this not because I need the points but to ask another question:

If people are unwilling either to credit a source or fully read a post with which they disagree (which could lead to not knowing whom to credit), then where is the actual substance of that debate? It could be that what we like to call debates are actually opinion polls with extended comments.

For the example in this thread, see below.
Blimey, it seems I've been wrapped over the knuckles for not listening in class ....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Blimey, it seems I've been wrapped over the knuckles for not listening in class ....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #33
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
The article doesn't talk about how "hard" a text is - nor does it equate in some simple way the amount of brain activity with how "good" a text is. One of the joys of literature is just that it is, or can be if that's what we are into, about much more than just absorbing stuff, but about being affected by it, it can provide us with insights about ourselves and the world we live in and it can move us with the beauty both of the content of what is expressed and the means by which it is expressed. How it does that is, probably, by activating regions of the brain that less "difficult" texts do not.

That seems to be what the article is saying in the bits of my brain that got activated by reading it.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #34
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
The article doesn't talk about how "hard" a text is - nor does it equate in some simple way the amount of brain activity with how "good" a text is. One of the joys of literature is just that it is, or can be if that's what we are into, about much more than just absorbing stuff, but about being affected by it, it can provide us with insights about ourselves and the world we live in and it can move us with the beauty both of the content of what is expressed and the means by which it is expressed. How it does that is, probably, by activating regions of the brain that less "difficult" texts do not.

That seems to be what the article is saying in the bits of my brain that got activated by reading it.
"Using scanners, they monitored the brain activity of volunteers as they read pieces by Shakespeare, Wordsworth, T.S. Eliot and others. They then ''translated'' the texts into more ''straightforward'', modern language and again monitored the readers' brains as they read the words. Scans showed that the more ''challenging'' prose and poetry set off far more electrical activity in the brain."

The article claims that the more difficult texts caused the brain to work harder. The real question just what this means. Does it make your brain stronger, like exercise makes muscles stronger?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #35
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm pretty sure that falling asleep ten minutes into reading Shakespeare is doing nothing for my brain except giving me a minor concussion as the e-reader bounces off my head.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm pretty sure that falling asleep ten minutes into reading Shakespeare is doing nothing for my brain except giving me a minor concussion as the e-reader bounces off my head.
Careful, don't crack your screen!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #37
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
The article claims that the more difficult texts caused the brain to work harder. The real question just what this means. Does it make your brain stronger, like exercise makes muscles stronger?
No pain, no gain.
My person trainer has put me on a new regime: 10 mins Shakespeare warmup, 30 mins "Finnegans Wake", 10 min Terry Pratchett cool down.
I figure it'll make me pretty buff, just like this guy:

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #38
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good luck buying a hat.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #39
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Now Terry Pratchett, there's an author who is good for your brain. I've read the more popular of Shakespeare's plays. I liked them well enough. I also read Henry VIII, one his his least popular plays. I don't think that one did my brain much good.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good luck buying a hat.
I make my own from tinfoil...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #41
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^That explains a lot.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
^That explains a lot.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

Quote:
^That explains a lot.
Ain't no Govurm'nt satylites gonna beam thinks inta MY brane
Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #44
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
More humourous repartee please .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote