Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2021, 01:53 AM   #1
buyifan43
Enthusiast
buyifan43 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 4 and KT2
Smile Problems with TTS reading

Hi,and I'm wondering what's going on with TTS on my PW4.
There is a headphone icon on the right bottom when I open Chinese books and it can be read by my device, however when I open English books there isn't, and I can only use voiceview to listen these books, which annoyed me that it is hard to operate and stops and stucks for about a second when changing pages.
So please help me!!!
buyifan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:23 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
VoiceView is technically a screen reader, designed for people with vision issues, and for them it works very well (I would encourage everyone to turn it on, complete the Tutorial, close your eyes and try to operate the Kindle. It just takes a little practice and will give you some notion of what the experience is like.). The pause between pages is an audio cue to let them know the page is turning. And there are specialized gestures and audio feedback to make it easier for them to navigate the user interface. VoiceView currently only supports English on the Kindle.

Older Kindles (Kindle Touch and earlier) did have Text-to-Speech, again only for English. But these devices were not accessible to people with vision issues.

Amazon was subject to a lawsuit, and Amazon agreed to include screen readers in their future devices, which they have (even FireTV has a screen reader built in). Thus far, however, they have not restored TTS to the Kindle lineup.

Text-to-speech, by contrast, is for people who want the text read out but who otherwise can operate the device normally. If you want this feature, get a Fire tablet. Its TTS engine comes with dozens of voices for a number of languages (not including Chinese). VoiceView is a feature on it as well, and I think it supports a few non-English languages as well.

The Fire also supports Immersion Reading (also available in the Kindle apps for iOS and Android), which offers synchronized text with audio, highlighting the text being read and turning the pages. On Kindle they are synchronized, but you can cannot listen and see the text being read at the same time.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-03-2021 at 02:33 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
pw4, sound