Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2021, 07:29 AM   #1
thewoosh
thewoosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX no longer syncs (esp. date/time)

Hi
I have been using a couple of DX2s for 10 years - the best device I ever owned. I bought one to read PDFs off-screen but as my eyes have deteriorated, I now use it (and it's more recently purchased backup) just for reading in general.

Recently, however, problems have emerged. I can no longer connect to 3G - probably because there is no longer any 3G here as we progress from 4G to 5G locally. I never really purchased much content from Amazon so I don't have a problem that I can no longer download books but I do have a problem with dates...

In the past I found I had to connect to the internet from time-to-time otherwise the device would lose track of time and no longer store my latest read at the top of the list when I viewed the list by date. Now that I can no longer do so, it never does.

Having several hundred documents on the Kindle and often reading several at once, this makes life complicated, as every time I return to the home screen I then have to hunt down the last thing I read in order to go back to it. It is majorly annoying!

Does anyone have any suggestions about a work-around for this or better explanations why it might be happening?

I have loved this technology for a decade and was expecting to do so for a decade more but now I am being forced to consider an alternative (like a Boox)...
I'd love to hear suggestions...

PS It's a jail-broke DX B008 running 3.2.1.
thewoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Buy a fake 3G base / repeater and use it to set the clock? Such devices with an ethernet port exist. About $2000, so cheaper to sell the DX and by a new 7" or 8" eink, which is far better for PDFs and ebooks.

No other solution for a DX or DXG with 3G only and no local 3G.

It takes a day for the time and date to recover on my DXG if it goes flat. There might be some jail break. I only managed to change system fonts and sleep cover on mine. USB networking to set time and date failed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
thewoosh

Hmmm just wondering - looking at other stuff on here - could I install a terminal and run date to set date?
I don't need to log in remotely as DX has keyboard - so do I need USB networking? (I may have misunderstood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
...USB networking to set time and date failed.
Old 04-04-2021, 03:59 AM   #4
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
Try this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95076
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
thewoosh

I meant to say Kindle DXG (not DX2)

Tags
date, dx2, sync