Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-10-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
SVG images trigger data-name error

I just recently learned how to make SVG images. They were working great in my pub until I discovered they're registering errors in Pagina: Attribute data-name not allowed here

I'll probably have to pursue this on a SVG forum, but I wanted to first find out if SVG images should be used in epubs to begin with. Alternatively, is this an error message I can simply ignore?

Thanks.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Yes, SVG images can be used - I use them all the time. Having said that, some older devices may not play nicely with them, so check your target device for compatibility.

As for the errors, some software might be adding metadata attributes that are not in the "standard" or that the checker software doesn't recognize. Either update your checking sofware, or just remove the metadata attribute manually. One way you can do that is by clicking on the svg file within Sigil, then finding/deleting the offensive info.

edit:
I also make sure I remove any extra metadata when I save an SVG using inkscape...just select/deselect the appropriate boxes in the save dialog. ( I use Optimized SVG) I'm sure there are equivalent options in other software.

Last edited by Turtle91; 03-11-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course, it could be a problem with Pagina. What are they using as a checker?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course, it could be a problem with Pagina. What are they using as a checker?
Pagina E-pub Checker. Is there are better epub checker I should be using?
Old 03-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #5
SigilBear
Banned

Wow, good tip about clicking on the SVG file in Sigil. I didn't realize you could view the source code like that.

I just recently learned how to work with SVG using Illustrator. I just save them with the default settings:

Styling: Internal CSS
Object IDs: Layer Names
Decimal: 2 (I sometimes have to change it to 3 in order to make text display correctly.)

Minify and Responsive are checked by default, also.

As for target devices, I've only viewed my epub with Apple Books so far, and they look fine. That's why I wondered if the error might be some kind of bug I can just ignore.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:38 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
I just recently learned how to make SVG images. They were working great in my pub until I discovered they're registering errors in Pagina: Attribute data-name not allowed here
Attributes that start with data- are custom attributes. Since they're usually app-specific, you can simply delete them. I.e., search for data-name=".*?" and delete the attribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
Pagina E-pub Checker. Is there are better epub checker I should be using?
pagina EPUB-Checker is a GUI for EPUBCheck. There is no better checker.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:10 AM   #7
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Attributes that start with data- are custom attributes. Since they're usually app-specific, you can simply delete them. I.e., search for data-name=".*?" and delete the attribute.

pagina EPUB-Checker is a GUI for EPUBCheck. There is no better checker.
Wow, I wasn't even aware you could do wild card searches in Sigil. That'll save me a lot of time. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've found that the combination of the Calibre ePub checker and epubcheck is a good combination. Calibre's ePub checkers handles checks the CSS better then epubcheck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote