Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-23-2022, 03:52 AM   #61
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
[...] I'm not really a fan of wireless charging either, the inefficiencies offend me, but I can see the appeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
[...] I like wireless charging that works (without a lot of fidgety placement issues to get things going). The inefficiencies don't trouble me. It's not like it actually contributes any meaningful waste to the rest of the inefficient technologies in play at home/work.
My problem is that I'm too easily offended. For example, I'm offended by people that think their minor contribution can make no meaningful difference, apparently forgetting that they are one of over 330 million people in their country who are all making this decision one way or another.

We might step this logic on: I might as well throw this wrapper out the car window, this tiny piece of waste makes no meaningful difference to the tonnes of rubbish on the road side. Then eventually getting to: I might as well pull the trigger, it will make no meaningful difference to the death toll.

Individual choices can make a difference. Our individual voices choosing to waste or not to waste become a collective force that drives the capitalist economy that chooses whether to implement efficient technologies or wasteful technologies. Which of course brings us to politics and so maybe I should shut up.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:32 AM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I also like wireless charging for the convenience. That it might save wear and tear on a connector is a plus.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2022, 06:42 AM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
We might step this logic on: I might as well throw this wrapper out the car window, this tiny piece of waste makes no meaningful difference to the tonnes of rubbish on the road side. Then eventually getting to: I might as well pull the trigger, it will make no meaningful difference to the death toll.
We could. But it would be quite silly and more than a little disingenuous for us to trivialize participating in those illegal activities by comparing them to participating in ineffecient charging technologies in any way whatsoever.

Let's stick to comparing my "inefficient charging" indifference to other legal (and especially non-criminal) activities, shall we? If using inefficient charging technologies were a chargeable offense, you'd have a point.

Quote:
Individual choices can make a difference. Our individual voices choosing to waste or not to waste become a collective force that drives the capitalist economy that chooses whether to implement efficient technologies or wasteful technologies.
Quite stirring. Can't quite muster a "huzzah" though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-23-2022 at 06:52 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #64
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[...] Quite stirring. Can't quite muster a "huzzah" though.
Given our past conversations I would have been shocked if you had.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still say a more accurate/logical (and lets face it: honest) comparison for your "330 million individuals making this decision" argument would have been to compare my indifference to those who inefficiently toast bread by using appliances that make wires glow by inefficiently converting their resistance to electricity to heat. Or to those who don't unplug all appliances that have displays/lights that stay on when turned off. But I understand that the illicitness of littering and murder made for a much sexier rebuke of my indifference to the wastefulness of technologies like wireless charging.

You want to take on wasteful technologies? I don't mind. Have at it. But do us all a favor and start with something that might actually make a dent. The inefficiency of wireless charging is a pretty poor poster-boy for the campaign.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-23-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Advert
Old 06-23-2022, 02:51 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never had a faulty or flaky USB port on any of the Readers I've owned. But then, I'm not rough when plugging in the cable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:56 PM   #67
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I had issues with the original cable of my Aura HD getting loose in the port and sometimes disconnecting prematurely. But then I bought a replacement (Amazon Basics, if I remember right) and it had a better fit.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:57 PM   #68
acanthicus
Connoisseur
acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-350, PRS-T3
Still using a Sony PRS 505, 350, 650 and T3 alternately. Apart from the T3, I changed the battery in all devices. Problem is to find good batteries for the old ones.
acanthicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:55 PM   #69
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
I still say a more accurate/logical (and lets face it: honest) comparison for your "330 million individuals making this decision" argument would have been to compare my indifference to those who inefficiently toast bread by using appliances that make wires glow by inefficiently converting their resistance to electricity to heat. Or to those who don't unplug all appliances that have displays/lights that stay on when turned off. But I understand that the illicitness of littering and murder made for a much sexier rebuke of my indifference to the wastefulness of technologies like wireless charging. [...]
I don't know, I think it's telling that your objection to my examples is that they are illegal, not that there may be socially responsible reasons for choosing not to litter or murder. It suggests that the only way to get humans to choose to be socially responsible is via legislation. That may be true.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:55 AM   #70
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I had issues with the original cable of my Aura HD getting loose in the port and sometimes disconnecting prematurely. But then I bought a replacement (Amazon Basics, if I remember right) and it had a better fit.
I have found that if I ever experience connection issues it is invariably the cable and not the port.

The lightning cables for Apple products are prone to wearing out.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #71
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It suggests that the only way to get humans to choose to be socially responsible is via legislation. That may be true.
I think that's probably always been true. But the one thing I do know is that humans are never going to be convinced to choose to be socially responsible by folks who pick popular (but ultimately not very impactful) causes de jour to build their campaigns on. They also tend to respond better to those who put their money where their mouth is. People who still quietly continue to use many truly wasteful technologies on a daily basis are probably not the best choices to try and convince others to draw arbitrary lines in the sand against using the rather piddly ones (like charging inefficiency). A day without toast in today's world would save far more resources than a day without wireless charging. Pick better battles.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:10 AM   #72
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I don't think I've ever had a device die before I upgraded it
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:55 AM   #73
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Me either. Something new has come along and I decided to upgrade.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #74
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
You're very lucky. I've lost count of how many bluetooth headsets I've owned that failed at the USB charge plug.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #75
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
In my case it's been Bluetooth headsets that have got wet, or been dropped and run over by a car.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote