Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-27-2022, 04:02 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenberg View Post
I was often told that the ones already used last longer, I do not know the real reason.
Sony PRS-500 was released in 2006 and cost $350.
That is equivalent to $500 today (three months ago, really) - adjusted for inflation.
It had metal body and integrated cover and it was a premium device.
If a reader cost $500 today, you would expect it to last a long time and you would treat and handle it differently from a $90 Kindle basic.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:04 AM   #17
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My favorite ereader was my JetBook Lite. It was an anomaly since it used an LCD screen and replaceable AA batteries. (I still have a calculator from the 80s with an LCD screen that still works.) Unfortunately, the screen cracked. Still, I got about 11 years out of it.

My next favorite ereader is the Nook STR. I have a couple. The eInk screens are working just fine after many years. The batteries have been replaced on both of mine. So far the batteries are readily available, inexpensive, and take maybe 2 minutes to replace.

My old Kobo n647 won't take a charge anymore, but it's the original battery. I haven't looked into replacing it yet.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2022, 06:09 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Thank you all so far, some good advice all round. I don't have a case for my Kindle, but I don't take it out of my house. I make sure I keep it in my room when I go to sleep, and it has lasted for 1 1/2 years so far. Needless to say, I don't know how to replace any Kindle's battery.

I will keep the PW4 at least until 2024, luck willing.

Newpower99.com has a how to video.
What is 'Amazon' is the sell battery replacement kits (includes they case opener and a 00philips) on Amazon for everything BUT Kindles.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #19
Lsantiago7859
Enthusiast
Lsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Samsung 10.1 tablet, Nook HD+ and SONY PRS-T2
Talking Lifespan of an e-ink reader

It seems that all readers last for an extraordinary length of time. The only reason I bought the last one is because I wanted to upgrade the software and got a good deal. I have a Nook, Nook HD, and Kobo Clara. I also have a tablet I got just for magazines and comic books. Soon I will give my grandkids the extra ones, but they don't read as much as I do
Lsantiago7859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In most cases, the reason for problems with Readers is due to the battery. Perfectly good hardware that could still be in use but for a battery.

Some Readers are really difficult to get into and the battery wires are soldered to the motherboard. So you really have to know what you are doing or not be bothered trying to fix it and maybe failing.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2022, 08:50 PM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Kindle Keyboard 1 - damaged screen 3 months after purchase
Kindle Keyboard 2 - replacement for #1, power button failed after 7 years of daily use.
Nook Glo - Died after 5.5 years of frequent use
Brother's Kindle Keyboard - battery bad after several years in a drawer. I replaced battery and it is still in regular use.
Voyage - daily driver bought in 2014 so about 8 years old. Battery needs recharging about 2-3 weeks depending on use.

Last edited by Tarana; 05-27-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:07 AM   #22
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Pocketbook TL3, bought in 2017 and hardware-wise still working fine, but since late 2021 the software no longer works with Adobe DRM. So no borrowing from OD possible. Last firmware update was in 2019. Pocketbook has not answered the support ticket I sent them. Please stay away from that company.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:45 AM   #23
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I have only had one ereader die on me. That was my beloved Kindle Voyage. It only lasted 18 months. It still breaks my heart. I still have my Nook Simple Touch, Kindle PW4 and Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8. The Nook 7.8 is acting flaky by rebooting itself randomly, but otherwise working. I haven't decided what to try next.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:07 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My first Nook STR, I broke the screen. But I replaced it with another that still gets almost daily use. The battery isn't as good as the one in the Clara, but it still lasts a week+ easily.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:15 AM   #25
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I only replaced the Sony 650 I was using because of the battery dying - having to recharge it every other day was becoming a pain.

The Kobo Aura One that I replaced it with in 2017 is still going strong, and not showing any sign of needing to be replaced anytime soon. Over five years of daily use is very acceptable in my mind.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:24 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We have Apple to blame for the battery issue. Apple was one of the first companies who made devices without an easily replaceable battery and that's now become the norm and we just put up with it Many devices that work perfectly well and would still be in use (if not for the battery) have hit land fills. or sit in a closet or drawer unused.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:38 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We have Apple to blame for the battery issue. Apple was one of the first companies who made devices without an easily replaceable battery and that's now become the norm and we just put up with it Many devices that work perfectly well and would still be in use (if not for the battery) have hit land fills. or sit in a closet or drawer unused.
Apple WAS the first.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:26 AM   #28
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, no. Well, I, as well, despise Apple and all it's products and religion, but place the blame where it should be. It is in fact Osram that is to blame. Read yourself up on "The light bulb conspiracy" and how planned obsolecence were invented.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:31 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Actually, no. Well, I, as well, despise Apple and all it's products and religion, but place the blame where it should be. It is in fact Osram that is to blame. Read yourself up on "The light bulb conspiracy" and how planned obsolecence were invented.
But Apple was the first to make a consumer electronic device that did not have an easily replaceable battery.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:41 AM   #30
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
@JSWolf, well, wonder where/how they got their idea.. (I'm still looking at you, Osram).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote