Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-11-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Creating comic books into E-books my way

Dum dee dum.

Hello folks.

I admit I only did a quick glance for this and didn't see it already. Sorry if it is. :/

I've mentioned before that I use my calibre library for listing my comic book archive collection. I like my current set-up as I've figured out what works for me. And have ran across comments on other sites regarding its un-ease of use for them or their ability to learn to just click-and-go to use it. True it may not handle drop-in with the ease the way they'd prefer, but mine does exactly what I look for it to. Oh, well, go figure some people. :P

Now I'll get to what I'm posting about. If you'd already tried this ignore me and go about your fun-filled day. :/

One feature calibre handles is its ability to handle comic books and its e-viewer. Admittedly, I'm a poor user for Calibre, and so I blame myself for it's spectacular, but not star-shining example that day. So I resorted to using "Click to open" then dragging the format: cbr, cbz, etc. to a comic book viewer on the side since then.

Last night as I was messing about in one of my "created" books I wanted to keep from a hard worn copy, but in e-pub book that included illustrations my mind wandered as it tends to do and even after I went to bed and slept a bit I finally figured out what it was trying to tell me.

Today I tried it and my results have proven once again that Calibre Library is the greatest, ever. My results enable me to use Calibre Library to e-pub my comics perfectly. Use the Calibre viewer exactly as it already has settings I use, and can even drag to resize as I want it. And the epub comic allows me to not need to resize the viewer - if I choose not to.

Comic I choose was the first Annie Oakley and Tagg

Step 1: Click on "add books"
Step 2: "choose" ... Add empty book (book entry with no formats)

For my example I filled in:
(1) book
Author: Annie Oakley_Tagg, 1956
Series: Annie Oakley and Tag
Title was simply: Annie Oakley and Tagg 001
Format choosen: e-book
Clicked okay, and now have my empty book . . . still no "cover image"

Next I dragged the front cover onto the empty book. Did a quick "simple" "convert".

Went to "Edit"

1. Imported each of the books image files (Sample numbering is 1.jpg) (each page) that I had exploded from my cbr format back into a single folder. Otherwise you can use whatever you've named those images.

Note: Whenever I created image files from my comics I numbered them as 1-35, etc. Now I'm glad I did that.

2. I used the already created titlepage.xhtml and will use this as my copy paste sample page to recreate pages 1 - 35

3. Click on "New File" that is the upper left hand corner of the editor and looks like a page with a + on it.

4. The new file I named as 1.xhtml. Erase all text on that page and replace it with the titlepage.xhtml. The only change I made was (cover.jpeg) to 1.jpg

(recopy the information on this page - once and use it for each page thereafter - only changing the page number to match the files name)

That's why I'm so happy I used such a simple numbering for those pages. And now I can keep and download an empty book to Calibre minus its cover and images easily.

[For each new comic/epub now it's simple to drop the empty sample epub onto Calibre / add the cover, do a quick convert. Open editor and insert the page images. All done and now I have the latest comic book in epub.]

In the beginning for my comics when I was handling my comic pages I would allow whatever the image creator or screen grab numbering it wanted to assign or manually change to its sequencing. Later I learned to use my mac-mini's "automator" and now quickly change the name to a sequenced numbering.

I know some of you tech-wizard's out there will shake your head and do this easier, faster and better. Maybe have been doing this all the time. :/

But if you haven't tried this, my results came out exactly as I always wished they would in Calibre. :/

Thanks again, to every one that adds to Calibre's growth and especially "thanks" to its creator.

Last edited by HappyCalibreUser; 06-11-2022 at 04:25 PM.
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thread has been moved from the General forum and I must say I’m tired of moving your threads. Please, from now on, try harder to find the appropriate place to post; “General” does not mean, “Anything goes.” Future posts grossly misplaced may be deleted without warning. Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thread has been moved from the General forum and I must say I’m tired of moving your threads. Please, from now on, try harder to find the appropriate place to post; “General” does not mean, “Anything goes.” Future posts grossly misplaced may be deleted without warning. Thanks.
My apologies. I thought it went into the general forum.
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote