Examples
Book Title:ABC
Book Author: xyz
Tag 12345678

I wanted to save it as (tried both)
1. {tag}/{title} - {authors}/{title} - {authors}
2. {tags:sublist(0,1,\,)}/{title} - {authors}/{title} - {authors}

The result is the same:
a. Some books with tag 12345678 would be same under 12345678 (correct)
b. Some books with tag 12345678 would be same under 123478 (incorrect)
c. Some books with tag 12345678 would be same under 1478 (incorrect)
d. Some of the titles will get some of the spaces between words replaced by an underscore (incorrect)

Appreciate any feedback you can provide.
arcegabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It sounds like you are trying to affect the way Calibre saves files to its internal library? If so you have no control over this - read the sticky for more information.

The Save to Disk template only applies when exporting a book from Calibre to a location external to the Calibre library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A possibility that comes to mind is that you are running into path length limits so calibre is truncating the file name though I can't see that triggering replacing spaces with underscores.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
arcegabriel
arcegabriel began at the beginning.

Device: Android
@itimpi I am not trying to do that. I am using the save to disk option from calibre to export your library back into your harddrive
@DNSB You may be into something (cursory check). Any suggestion on how to go around this?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
arcegabriel

Ok, I think I know what I want.
If title is "Faster, Stronger, Smarter: The story blah, blah, blah"
I want to use some type of function to use everything before ":"
This is "Faster, Stronger, Smarter"
I appreciate any suggestion. I think it can be done with some combination of language functions.
Advert
Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@arcegabriel - the words after the colon is a 'sub-title' or 'strapline'. Best way to deal with them is via the Bulk Metadata Edit Search and Replace regular expression features, either to remove them entirely, or move them into a custom column.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
arcegabriel

@BetterRed Thanks!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcegabriel View Post
@itimpi I am not trying to do that. I am using the save to disk option from calibre to export your library back into your harddrive
@DNSB You may be into something (cursory check). Any suggestion on how to go around this?
No real work arounds. The path length limit is pretty much set by the operating system which can make for real fun when moving files between different computers. There is a long path option for Windows 10 to allow over a 260 character path on NTFS file systems but it only works with certain applications. The one time I tested it on one of the Windows Insider Preview builds, calibre did not seem to be long path aware but that was quite a few versions back.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
arcegabriel

Thanks, I just use the option to limit the number of characters and it works perfect. Thanks!