Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
glasseyes
glasseyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Whispersync oddities, certain books always reset to page 1 on Paperwhite: help?

Hi there,

I'm a new member here, having signed up specifically for help with a kindle question after amazon's customer service had me update software and do a fruitless factory reset without resolving much of anything.

Long story short, I'm having a few basic issues with my Paperwhite that aren't happening with my IOS kindle apps on my iphone or iPad, which both work as expected.

First, whispersync is clunky and rarely works the first time on the paperwhite. When I open the paperwhite after a day of reading on the iPhone, I get the popup asking if I want to jump to the furthest page read. Click yes, and it jumps forward a bit, but very rarely to the furthest page read. Instead, I have to close the paperwhite, open it back up and unlock it, and only then will it give the option to jump all the way to the furthest page. If I click "sync my kindle" it does nothing, just says no new items, and sits there like a lump.

Issue two: I tend to mostly read "docs" acquired elsewhere and usually converted via calibre to MOBI. I've found the least annoying method of getting these into my kindle library is to email them to my kindle email address, so that's usually been my method. Recently, however, two such books have been misbehaving badly—but again, only on the paperwhite. Every time I open them from the home page, they jump back to page 1. For example, the book clearly shows 28% over the thumbnail on the home page. Open it up, jumps back to page 1. I also noticed if press to change the page, that book will then jump to the final page of the book (100%). If I hit the "back" arrow, it then jumps to the 28% mark, where it should have been all along—but it only does this inconsistently. And even then, as soon as I go back to the home page or switch to a different ebook, the process starts from the beginning. Anyone have any ideas what the heck would make this happen only with my paperwhite? Also, why these particular books? I've read hundreds of books this way with no issues, and these two books were acquired 6 months apart with dozens in between, which have had no issues. The only thing I can think is that both were only recently downloaded to the paperwhite, and in close temporal proximity. But I've tried deleting them and redownloading and the same issues started up again.

Beyond the above issues, this kindle also refuses to auto update, or at least since April (I only got this model in January and my old Kindle Keyboard had zero issues over 6 years before this). I would try to make it update to the newest edition, but the option was greyed out. Today i tried to download the newest software, following all the instructions online, and during the process I got an error message that the software update was invalid. FInally wasted two hours with tech support who had to send me an alternate version of the software update (5.8.10), which did eventually work, but naturally solved none of the above issues. Amazon agreed to send me a new kindle, and I reluctantly agreed, but I don't really expect it to work any differently. It seems like the Paperwhite OS has some fundamental issues both with PDOC's and whispersync.

If anyone has any guidance, I would greatly appreciate the help! In the meantime, I'm waiting for a new kindle shipment with little expectation it will make much of a difference.
glasseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Issue one. Make sure to click sync on the I device when you are through reading.
Then yes, do sync the Paperwhite every time. It is finished when you get the no new items screen but it did do something. Then click the yes, go to farthest page read.

Also, in order for sync to work properly, you have to make sure you are online when you finish reading on one device. (Hence the sync at the end of reading. ) I have a habit of turning off the wifi while reading.

As to issue 2, it is a mini computer and the devices just like to let us know that at times.
Or in other words, no idea how to fix it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
glasseyes
glasseyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Thanks for the reply.

As to issue 1: I have tried that but haven't noticed any significant difference. It seems like the IOS app does a great job of syncing in general, but the paperwhite isn't quite smart enough to seek out the latest sync on its own, hence the hoop-jumping required to get to the real furthest page. Hopefully the latest software update will help with that, but I've learned not to temper my expectations with this device, sadly.

As to issue 2: sigh, yeah. Maybe I just have a few wonky files, or maybe getting a new paperwhite will clear this up somehow. Guess I'll find out!
glasseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
When I open the paperwhite after a day of reading on the iPhone, I get the popup asking if I want to jump to the furthest page read. Click yes, and it jumps forward a bit, but very rarely to the furthest page read. Instead, I have to close the paperwhite, open it back up and unlock it, and only then will it give the option to jump all the way to the furthest page.
That sounds like a lot of user introduced hoops to jump through.

"Open the paperwhite" -
Meaning you have a magnetic cover ?
I don't see where you had to sign in this first time you opened the cover.
I don't see where you enabled wireless.

"I have to close the paperwhite" -
Meaning literally, close the cover so the magnet shuts it down?
Did you have the wireless enabled when you did that or had you disabled wireless at that point?

"open it back up and unlock it" -
Do you mean you have it passphrase protected or do you mean you have a Special Offers (ad supported) model and "unlock it" means dismiss the ads?

At what point(s) in that narrative did you enable Wireless?
At what point(s) in that narrative did you disable Wireless?
How long did the Kindle have, with an established connection to Amazon, before you expected it to work as you expected?

It is a petty powerful device, but it can not guess what reading position you left off with the other application on the other device.
You have to give Amazon's servers time to update your device.

PS: The proper nickname for your device here is a: PW3
Often information you read here will be using that nickname.
So when you read: "PW3" that means: "Your model".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That sounds like a lot of user introduced hoops to jump through.

"Open the paperwhite" -
Meaning you have a magnetic cover ?
I don't see where you had to sign in this first time you opened the cover.
I don't see where you enabled wireless.

"I have to close the paperwhite" -
Meaning literally, close the cover so the magnet shuts it down?
Did you have the wireless enabled when you did that or had you disabled wireless at that point?

"open it back up and unlock it" -
Do you mean you have it passphrase protected or do you mean you have a Special Offers (ad supported) model and "unlock it" means dismiss the ads?

At what point(s) in that narrative did you enable Wireless?
At what point(s) in that narrative did you disable Wireless?
How long did the Kindle have, with an established connection to Amazon, before you expected it to work as you expected?

It is a petty powerful device, but it can not guess what reading position you left off with the other application on the other device.
You have to give Amazon's servers time to update your device.

PS: The proper nickname for your device here is a: PW3
Often information you read here will be using that nickname.
So when you read: "PW3" that means: "Your model".
Maybe he is like me, and just leaves the wireless enabled all of the time?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Maybe he is like me, and just leaves the wireless enabled all of the time?

Shari
Perhaps, but it does make a difference, so he needs to give that information.

Since the forums here are not swamped with similar reports, I am going first for something local to his location or usage patterns. With a strong leaning towards: PEBKAC
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
I occasionally get a similar sitatuation where i am asked to move to the most recently read position that is not correct. I can tell since it mentions the device it was last read on and the data and time. If I run a second "Sync To Furthest Page Read" then it usually works.

I just put it down to the Kindle (Voyage in this case) not being able to retrieve that most recent page info from the cloud quickly enough.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pain, paperwhite, whispersync