Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
rmfi98
rmfi98 began at the beginning.

Device: none
New York review of books recipe

The Calibre recipe for The New York review of books, both the subscription and non-subscription, is no longer working. No error message is obtained but the magazine has no articles. I am a subscriber but that does not seem relevant in this instance.
Robert
rmfi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
bgamsa
bgamsa began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Don't have anything useful to add, but I'm seeing the same thing.
bgamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 02:12 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...060c458eb148ef
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
rmfi98
rmfi98 began at the beginning.

Many thanks!
Robert
rmfi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
praimon
praimon began at the beginning.

Upon trying the new recipe, I found the mobi file size has increased 10-fold, from about 2mb to 20mb. The good news is that the photography and illustrations are now in stunning full page format. The bad news is that the file sizes are too large to accommodate my Kindle. Maybe this is a NY Review website issue and not Calibre? I re-downloaded a previous modestly-sized issue and it also became 10 times bigger.
praimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/news_recipe.html

You might need to add
Code:
compress_news_images = True
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
praimon

Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried compress_news_images = True and it indeed gave me a modest-sized file. But...the picture dimensions remained full-page, so the pics now look awful. I suppose I should play around with some other options, maybe
compress_news_images_auto_size

Something has definitely changed image-wise.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe
Code:
scale_news_images =(w,h)
?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
praimon

scale_news_images = (320, 240) # or (120, 90)
had no effect on the pic size. I tried this both with and without
scale_news_images_to_device = True
I guess there are some other parameters that need to be set, but until I sit down and study the api, I'm at a loss.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
compress_news_images = True

Then play with the

compress_news_images_auto_size = 16

factor, changing the number between 1 and 20 to find the value that works best.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote