Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book that's time-ly will we read for April?
1916: The Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan 3 17.65%
1632 by Eric Flint 5 29.41%
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North 4 23.53%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 3 17.65%
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells 4 23.53%
Making History by Stephen Fry 8 47.06%
Days Without Number by Robert Goddard 4 23.53%
All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai 7 41.18%
Their Finest, by Lissa Evans 2 11.76%
The Bay of Noon by Shirley Hazzard 7 41.18%
Naples '44: A World War II Diary of Occupied Italy by Norman Lewis 6 35.29%
Time and Again by Jack Finney 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfsGhost View Post
It all depends on the version of the book.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...9781616955250/
Paperback | $16.00
Published by Soho Press
Dec 30, 2014 | 464 Pages | 5-1/2 x 8-1/4 | ISBN 9781616955250

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/mak...-9780099457060
Paperback
October 1, 2004
Arrow
592 pages
I gave a word count. How do you associate that page count with 592 pages? You can't because it does not match.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The point is that page counts by themselves don't necessarily mean much. They can (as pointed out above) vary by over a hundred pages even within the same "format" of book and without seeing the actual book we are only guessing as to what that means. As I mentioned to latepaul, I tend to look at the "All Editions" link at GR and use either specifically the MMPB format or use an "average" value for the paperback options rather than use just what is shown on Amazon or the first result that shows up at GR. Using the average seems to give me more consistent results.

For words, the word count estimate from BookShout is 120,773, so very close to Calibre's estimate, but even with that I have read books with 115k to 125k words that have lengths less than 300 pages to almost 550 pages and average about 420 pages. Formatting makes such a huge difference, over 120k words a 1 or 2 pt difference in print size can add a lot of pages.
This is why ADE page numbers work really well. They are the most consistent type of page number there are. They don't change based on formatting.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #63
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is why ADE page numbers work really well. They are the most consistent type of page number there are. They don't change based on formatting.
Unfortunately they mean nothing to anyone with a Kindle. I could say basically the same thing about Kindle locations but that would mean nothing to anyone that uses epubs. In the end, everyone needs to spend a little time to validate the available information so that they can get what they need out of it..

I find my method quick and easy to do and consistent enough for my purposes. If ADE pages work for you, then great.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #64
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
TBH I nearly asked for a word count but I thought that might be imposing having already asked for a page count.

Story is this: a long time ago (2007) I started a project to re-read all the Harry Potter books before the final one came out. In order to do so in time I had to set pretty ambitious targets as I'd left it late. So I wrote myself a spreadsheet to track my progress. I soon discovered I averaged 60 pages/hour.

Now I use what may be considered the great-grand-daughter of that spreadsheet to track my reading. And although I do track word count, most of the spreadsheet still refers to pages. Trouble is I rarely read on paper any more. So I tend to get the page count of the paperback edition from Amazon and use that. I have a section of the spreadsheet where I can enter all the different measures (Kindle pages, locations, epub page numbers, calibre locations etc) and convert between them. This also allows me to switch between different methods of reading the same book and still record in a common format - pages.

So 'pages' is a bit of a problematic measure for estimating time to read. OTOH word count, whilst better in terms of a measure of the size of the book, isn't necessarily better for time estimates because reading pace can vary with the content of the book, how I'm enjoying it, how easy the language is etc.

For example of the 16 books I've read this year so far, the words/page varies from 206-386 with an average of 281. So the size of a page varies a lot. But my words/min reading pace varies from 179-247, average 211 - which is almost as much variability.

I get a better estimate once I've started reading the book because then I can calculate a rate based on the current book only.

Sorry for rambling, some of you might be interested, some will probably be repulsed by the very idea

Oh and I just got the email to say Making History is now on loan to me!
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #65
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
latepaul: I look at the "All Editions" link on Goodreads to get an idea for page lengths that I am comfortable with. I normally base it on a mass market paperback version but that isn't always available. I am trying to shift my internal gauge to use word counts (which are often available at BookShout or AR BookFinder) since that seems more consistent than page counts.
Thanks for the BookShout mention. That site looks ideal for getting a word count for books I've not acquired yet.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #66
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Thanks for the BookShout mention. That site looks ideal for getting a word count for books I've not acquired yet.
You're welcome! I was very happy to find that site. The other one I mentioned is this one, which is used for the Accelerated Reader program my kids use in school, you may need to choose parent to get it to work. It doesn't have as much but does have a different selection. (Also, don't bother with reading length dot com, they used to use a simple 310 words/page calculation that is not very accurate.)

I don't suppose you would be willing to share your spreadsheet? You may have gone above and beyond mine which is impressive (in a very nerdy way)! I don't track how many minutes/hours it takes me to read things but I do track a lot of other information.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #67
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
It is quite a long book. My Arrow Publications paperback is 574 pages, including the acknowledgements.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #68
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
Quote:
I gave a word count. How do you associate that page count with 592 pages? You can't because it does not match.
It was not an attack it was just info with links to publishers. Was trying to say both are accurate in the context used.

But, you did mention pages and how they are wrong.

Quote:
The hardcover is 380 pages.
The paperback is 464 pages.
The ePub is 342 ADE pages.

This is not a 600 page book. The Kindle version page number (594) that Amazon cites is wrong. Amazon quite frequently gets it wrong.

Quote:
I got my page numbers from the hardcover and paperback versions alongside the Kindle version. https://www.amazon.com/Making-Histor.../dp/1616955252

Also, the ePub version is not that far off that at 342 ADE pages it would be close to 594 pBook pages. So really, that 597 page pBook version is not all that accurate. It could be large print, wide line spaces, bit margins, etc.
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #69
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think it has been established that this is a longish book, but astrangerehere has said it is enjoyable to read.

That’s probably all the information we need for now.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:20 AM   #70
latepaul
Wizard

Quote:
I don't suppose you would be willing to share your spreadsheet? You may have gone above and beyond mine which is impressive (in a very nerdy way)! I don't track how many minutes/hours it takes me to read things but I do track a lot of other information.
I'm happy to share it but I feel I ought to write up some notes so it makes sense to someone other than me. Once I do that I'll provide a link.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-14-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
TBH I nearly asked for a word count but I thought that might be imposing having already asked for a page count.
Asking for the word count is no problem as long as I have the eBook. I just use the count pages plugin. It's no hassle at all.

Quote:
Story is this: a long time ago (2007) I started a project to re-read all the Harry Potter books before the final one came out. In order to do so in time I had to set pretty ambitious targets as I'd left it late. So I wrote myself a spreadsheet to track my progress. I soon discovered I averaged 60 pages/hour.

Now I use what may be considered the great-grand-daughter of that spreadsheet to track my reading. And although I do track word count, most of the spreadsheet still refers to pages. Trouble is I rarely read on paper any more. So I tend to get the page count of the paperback edition from Amazon and use that. I have a section of the spreadsheet where I can enter all the different measures (Kindle pages, locations, epub page numbers, calibre locations etc) and convert between them. This also allows me to switch between different methods of reading the same book and still record in a common format - pages.

So 'pages' is a bit of a problematic measure for estimating time to read. OTOH word count, whilst better in terms of a measure of the size of the book, isn't necessarily better for time estimates because reading pace can vary with the content of the book, how I'm enjoying it, how easy the language is etc.

For example of the 16 books I've read this year so far, the words/page varies from 206-386 with an average of 281. So the size of a page varies a lot. But my words/min reading pace varies from 179-247, average 211 - which is almost as much variability.

I get a better estimate once I've started reading the book because then I can calculate a rate based on the current book only.

Sorry for rambling, some of you might be interested, some will probably be repulsed by the very idea
When I am trying to read an eBook in a given time, I go by minimum pages per day. That works given that I have page numbers I can use thanks to ADE.

Your method while a bit convoluted (IMHO) works for you and that's what matters.

Quote:
Oh and I just got the email to say Making History is now on loan to me!
Congratulations on getting this so quickly.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I think it has been established that this is a longish book, but astrangerehere has said it is enjoyable to read.

That’s probably all the information we need for now.
Indeed. I'm glad this came up because I didn't realize the book is so long and now I'll start it sooner than I planned.

Nothing wrong with a longer book; it'll be a change from the last two short ones and we've got over a month to read it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
It is quite a long book. My Arrow Publications paperback is 574 pages, including the acknowledgements.
The Arrow page count is way way way off base.

Given a normally formatted pBook, it's roughly 380 pages.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Indeed. I'm glad this came up because I didn't realize the book is so long and now I'll start it sooner than I planned.

Nothing wrong with a longer book; it'll be a change from the last two short ones and we've got over a month to read it.
If I thought that the 594 page count shown by the Arrow printed version was even close to correct, I would not have nominated this. But I went by the Hardcover, Paperback, and ADE page numbers as well as the word count and decided it's not too long for the time allotted.