Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #46
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Kindle Oasis featured 10 LED lights according to this review https://ebookfriendly.com/kindle-oasis-2016/
Thank you!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #47
ezzkmo
igloo appraiser
ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ezzkmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Keyboard
I realize it is not out yet and so this may be a premature question, but do you think we'll be able to drag and drop MP3's or other audio files over to it? I think the KK let us do that.

Also, how big are typical Audible books? I'm thinking of just getting the 8gb Oasis and hoping it has enough space for a couple hundred ebooks and 6-8 audio books at any given time.
ezzkmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Is the aspect ratio of the screen different? Looking at the pictures in the model comparison chart, it looks "wider".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #49
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzkmo View Post
I realize it is not out yet and so this may be a premature question, but do you think we'll be able to drag and drop MP3's or other audio files over to it? I think the KK let us do that.

Also, how big are typical Audible books? I'm thinking of just getting the 8gb Oasis and hoping it has enough space for a couple hundred ebooks and 6-8 audio books at any given time.
You can fit several audiobooks in 8GB, at least the MP3s I have, which are 150-300 megabytes.

But I'd also like confirmation of your question, whether we can drag and drop MP3s into the audible folder like on the old models. (Although the syncing with ebook feature would probably not work.)
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #50
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The firmware coming today for newer Kindle models should help with font boldness.
Thanks. 5 levels of bold and more font sizes. It's like they want me to buy it or something!

I paid $120 ($130?) for a voyage refurb and I'm really happy with it. This will be twice as much. It's a toughie. Initiating justification procedure...
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #51
aybirdy
aybirdy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8 (T3)
Any clue when the update will come to Kindle 8? Will it get the new fonts?
aybirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #52
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Checked the PW--nothing so far. I bought it in 2015 so it should be one of eligible models.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #53
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lighting is the issue. The larger the screen, the less well the light diffuser works. I don't expect the frontlight on the 7" to be as good as that of the 6", for that reason, but an 8" would definitely be a lot worse. I know of no 8" devices with good frontlighting.
Suppose some Kobo Aura One owners may have a word here.

Though after hearing of so many lighting issues with the KAO, you may have mass agreement on your statement!
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #54
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Whoa.... a 32GB option.
I wonder what happens when somebody tries to fill it with 32GB of books converted from project Gutenberg, or a converted Wikipedia or something similar. The indexing will keep eating battery forever.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #55
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
- - - -
Re jailbreaking alas it seems all the devs have moved on and only knc1 is left manning the help desk. I really need it for the custom font because the default ones are too light (and the bold one is too bold and ugly). And reducing the margins. I can't do serial.
Ture, but the Lab126 division is not yet perfect.
We can probably count on them to make useful to us mistakes.

As a matter of fact, it seems today that there are several that we haven't even noticed until some of our members mentioned them.

The jail break instructions are moving to the Wiki, where anyone can fix up errors and add information about exceptions and special cases to them.
(no, I am not doing it, coplate is doing it).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #56
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzkmo View Post
The following is from the Amazon product page:

"8 GB holds thousands of books or over 35 Audible audiobooks; 32 GB holds thousands of books or over 160 Audible audiobooks; Audible audiobook capacity based on average Audible audiobook size."

FWIW, I've pretty much decided to go with 32 GB. I never listen to audiobooks, but for the additional $30 would rather have the added storage.

Last edited by kaibob; 10-11-2017 at 12:10 PM.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #57
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Ordered one up in 32gb cellular no offers. I've been wanting to be able to read in the tub for a while along with getting more storage. I read a lot so it's very worth it to me to not compromise on Kindles.

Fine print: the cover isn't included in the box anymore so you have to order separately. Went with blue water-safe. I'm OK with the battery being included in the Kindle - that way third party covers don't lose functionality over the original cover.

It's probably doable for this Kindle because batteries are getting better (the new iPhones have a smaller battery, too, but similar battery life) and because the Kindle itself is slightly wider, creating more space for a battery to fit into.

I hope that rumored solar cover will come along. Maybe now that the cover doesn't have to contain a battery for the best battery life, it will become available for this Kindle as an add-on.

Last edited by Buran; 10-11-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #58
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lighting is the issue. The larger the screen, the less well the light diffuser works. I don't expect the frontlight on the 7" to be as good as that of the 6", for that reason, but an 8" would definitely be a lot worse. I know of no 8" devices with good frontlighting.
That's generally true, that a larger e-ink display has less effective lighting, but only when comparing the same LED location. Remember the Oasis has the LEDs running along the side rather than the bottom, resulting in a more even lighting effect because those LEDs are not "firing" across as great a distance as the Voyage or Paperwhite. With 12 LEDs to cover the full height of the display, the Oasis could theoretically have better lighting than any other Kindle model.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #59
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Now I have a reason to buy the Oasis. I'll get one in January, when I visit the USA!
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #60
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It seems (at least initially) it does not support Immersion Reading (synchronized text + audiobook playback), or at least there’s no mention of it. Will it at least play in background so you can read along? Probably not. The Audible player on previous Kindles was horrible, and hard to imagine even an improved player for Kindle would be preferred to the smartphone app.

I do hope they deliver ‘traditional’ TTS in the future to all audio capable Kindles (latest gen PW, Kindle, Voyage), and that they add support for other languages. VoiceView is great if you need accessibility, but if you don’t it gets in the way and turns off some reading features.

It’s great that the covers are not bundled. We should see third party covers as well.

It is hard for me to imagine the utility of inverted color (white text on black background). I use this all the time on my Fire, but not sure it would work as well with eInk (but then I haven’t actually been able to try it). Presumably this will also be an option on other Kindles as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote