Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #511
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Anyway, I am reassured as I understand that the batteries of Onyx tablets are, in general, replaceable. I am not sure if we ever discussed about the Max2 battery.
Actually, considering it from a "bigger picture" point of view: if it performs as an acceptable alternative to an LCD monitor, shaving off a few hours of LCD use everyday at work, then a possible battery health issue is trivial compared to the accumulated benefit from reduction in eye strain.

Last edited by gimble; 04-17-2018 at 03:20 AM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #512
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphoent View Post
Hi, turns out I wasn't doing this ha
How can I guess so well.

@DaleDe: hi, I think I will want to create a Wiki page (like "Monitor, HDMI (Max2)" and "Monitor, desktop remote") as a collector of the info presented here in time.

Quote:
to have a A5 mode similar to what is found on the Dasung Paperlike pro whereby there is no dithering but also no 'flashing' either, due to the fact that there are only 5 gray levels there seems to be very little ghosting to
I have not yet seen that A5 from Dasung, and the only information received upon request (I have not searched thoroughly) revealed a plain A2. So, I have little information. But that's a waveform, it's part of the firmware.

> no dithering

You want dithering, and you want it in all modes (you want it optional in GU).

Quote:
I like the non-dithering appearance on the GU however the flashing is incredibly annoying.
In case you mean a flashing of parts of the screen uncaused by your action but occurring constantly and periodically like a heartbeat: of course it is annoying if it is there, but it is not meant to be there. You should try and find a setting that fixes it.

I have no unwanted heartbeat flashing, on my Intel NUC + Max2. You cannot use the Max2 as monitor with that fault of the updating noise, not in Greyscale Update but not even in A2, positively: for the battery drain and for the broken visuals, which GU only makes more evident.

The Max2 as monitor works perfectly here, and with that glitch it would not be usable.

I think that the users should report here which sources have the fault and which work well (e.g. MacBook something, HP 1234, Dell ABC with Ubuntu 16.04).
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2018, 03:40 AM   #513
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
f it performs as an acceptable alternative to an LCD monitor
It does, I witness it. I hope to test VERY extensively in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
then a possible battery health issue is trivial compared to the accumulated benefit from reduction in eye strain.
When it will wither, it will have lived, right? You bought it to use it - squeeze the utility. It also has the miracle of replaceable wearable parts. Eye friendliness is an asset (IF the device is used properly). The accumulated benefit is also being able to produce in occasions formerly unfit.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:08 AM   #514
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
I have not yet seen that A5 from Dasung, and the only information received upon request (I have not searched thoroughly) revealed a plain A2. So, I have little information. But that's a waveform, it's part of the firmware.
Looks like they simulate A5 by using A2 on 2x2 pixels. This retains the speed of A2 while producing more grey levels at the cost of cutting the resolution in half.

Quote:
It does, I witness it. I hope to test VERY extensively in the near future.
Yes, please keep us posted.

Quote:
When it will wither, it will have lived, right? You bought it to use it - squeeze the utility. It also has the miracle of replaceable wearable parts. Eye friendliness is an asset (IF the device is used properly). The accumulated benefit is also being able to produce in occasions formerly unfit.
Oh, I do intend to squeeze maximum usage out of the device. Currently, it is serving pdf duty as I have to catch up on a lot of research material. Replacing monitors will require a bit more work as mine is a multi monitor and device setup - eventually, depending on how the experiment turns out, I will consider dedicated replacements.

Last edited by gimble; 04-17-2018 at 04:16 AM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:59 AM   #515
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
Quote:
How can I guess so well.

> no dithering

You want dithering, and you want it in all modes (you want it optional in GU).

In case you mean a flashing of parts of the screen uncaused by your action but occurring constantly and periodically like a heartbeat: of course it is annoying if it is there, but it is not meant to be there. You should try and find a setting that fixes it.

The Max2 as monitor works perfectly here, and with that glitch it would not be usable.

I think that the users should report here which sources have the fault and which work well (e.g. MacBook something, HP 1234, Dell ABC with Ubuntu 16.04).
Thanks for your response, perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. What im looking for is a mode without dithering, but also one that doesn't have the 'partial flash to black' element on every pixel that is changing which the GU has. I believe the partial flash to black element is employed to avoid ghosting on modes with multiple grey levels as switching from one gray to another typically creates ghosting. The A5 mode in Dasung does not use a 'partial flash to black' because it only has 5 gray levels and therefore the ghosting is very low- at least thats how I understand it.
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #516
Staphoent
Connoisseur

or, if you could tell me how to use GU mode but disable the 'partial flash to black' altogether. I am not too bothered about the ghosting as I used to use my kindle paper white with KVCviewer set to full gray levels, no dithering, and no partial update and loved it, yes there was ghosting but it was still functional and very easy on the eyes, so im looking for something similar with the boox. So basically GU mode, without the 'partial flash to black' on the changing pixels would be amazing!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #517
Staphoent
Connoisseur

or on the other hand, is there anyway to turn on a2 mode but turn off dithering? I know the result won't be great but it will be fine for reading pdfs
Old 04-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #518
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
@mdp, @-Lesnikus- It's very informative what you guys write, have some karma:thanks

A wild guess about the software cause of delay even with hdmi would be their dithering solution.I assume a compromise had to be made between delay, frames and image quality (A2, A16) and what we're seeing is the best combination to satisfy all needs according to Onyx. It would be nice if Onyx would let users decide on trade-off, e.g. If i care more about responsiveness and I can work with A2 only I would like to be able to decide.

Agreed! A pure a2 mode (no dithering) would be excellent.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:16 AM   #519
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by inudaisho View Post
Is it possible to add '1px-by-1px' mode?
My laptop can not set resolutions over "2104x1560". because Max2's EDID return "2104x1560" through HDMI port and Intel windows 10 driver of my laptop obey the limitation strictly. (My laptop have IntelHD graphic)
I understand from the other post what you mean with '1px-by-1px' mode - a 1:1 rendering, normally of a desktop smaller than the total area surrounded by bla(n)ck borders - but I do not see what its utility would be. Sharper edges?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #520
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
How can I guess so well.

@DaleDe: hi, I think I will want to create a Wiki page (like "Monitor, HDMI (Max2)" and "Monitor, desktop remote") as a collector of the info presented here in time.
Go ahead, anyone can create a page in the wiki. I would recommend you avoid complicated names with commas and parenthesis. The pages end up with file names and people often type in names so simple is better and many such characters are illegal as file names.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #521
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple
@mdp, @-Lesnikus- It's very informative what you guys write, have some karma:thanks
A wild guess about the software cause of delay even with hdmi would be their dithering solution.I assume a compromise had to be made between delay, frames and image quality (A2, A16) and what we're seeing is the best combination to satisfy all needs according to Onyx. It would be nice if Onyx would let users decide on trade-off, e.g. If i care more about responsiveness and I can work with A2 only I would like to be able to decide.
I agree with this, i hope someone will request it.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 04-20-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #522
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
The set-up is composed of:
-- the Max2 using the modified HDMI Monitor app, and the touchscreen functions;
-- a MiniPC, that * for its very low price provides a speed compatible with not-so-old high-end desktops, * weighs like the tablet and is as big as a fist, * is almost completely noiseless, and * consumes an unbelievable 10 watts, measured;
-- a BlueTooth keyboard that also offers a mousepad, the luxury of a numpad and a slot to host your devices, slanted.
Add an external battery... 20,000 mAh in this case.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outdoors.jpg
Views:	1756
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	163610  

Last edited by mdp; 04-22-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #523
Bijllaardt
Bijllaardt began at the beginning.

Device: Ony boox note 10.3
Anybody found a backdoor to use the Note 10.3 as a second monitor?
Bijllaardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #524
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijllaardt View Post
Anybody found a backdoor to use the Note 10.3 as a second monitor?
What do you mean? Why a "backdoor"? You have no HDMI, so you must use networking; if you mean that you want to use the USB cable, an attempt was successful to root the Note; if you want to use a cable but ethernet is fine to you, there is a chance that a USB-to-ethernet adapter will work, and you will need no root for that. Otherwise, there are Wi-Fi and BT, which again require no special trick. I assume that at least out of this thread you know about desktop remote software.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #525
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Linux Debian Stretch, Max2 with 720x480 doesn't work.

Hello,

I'm using a Linux Debian Stretch station. I use Xfce4.

The Max2 is seen as a 10.3" Thoshiba monitor : 2104x1560 pixels (33,0 Hz) or 720x480 pixels - 60 or 59.9 Hz.

There is no problem with the 2104x1560 resolution, but impossible to use the 720x480 resolution. My main monitor is a 20" ASSU vW202SR with only 1680x1050 pixels seen as Ancor Communications.

It doesn't matter if the two area used by the monitor are the same or not, or if the Max2 is the main monitor or not.

My video card is :
Quote:
> lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 5912 (rev 04)
Quote:
> lsw
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
produit: Intel Corporation
fabriquant: Intel Corporation
identifiant matériel: 2
information bus: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 04
bits: 64 bits
horloge: 33MHz
fonctionnalités: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
My problem is the image on the MAX2 is so small, that I can't read on the screen. The only solution is to use a ENORMOUS size of font and put the window on the area used by the Max2.

Any idea ?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Max2_01_Asus-VW202SR_Alone.png
Views:	168
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	163962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Max2_02_Asus-VW202SR_With_Max2-Seen_as_Thoshiba.png
Views:	202
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	163963   Click image for larger version