Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #106
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
twobob probably described it better, but . . . .
Amazon was under a lot of pressure to ship the devices after such a marketing campaign - -
My guess is that they pulled back all units from the development teams and early evaluation programs -
Re-boxed them and shipped them as "new".

Which is why yours is "different" than the production runs - it isn't from a regular production run.

You have several choices - -

"Break" the firmware, call Amazon saying: "Its broke, exchange it please."

OR

Hang in here, there are at least 4 "known good" Kpw devices in developer's hands - they can send you files and directions on how to replace your firmware with "known good" firmware.

Using the PM system here to discuss either of the above choices is probably a good idea.
Send it back to az and pass on the opportunity to learn a few things more ? You're kidding, right ?
I am keeping it !! Now let's conspirate together on what to do next
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #107
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
just a quicky, because I'll need to go and get drunk in a few minutes (Christmas party):

You can essentially replace your diags partition and kernel using this method: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...ssh_README.txt
The offsets and partitions are the same, except that you'll want to use the files for the Paperwhite, not the Touch. They're in the paperwhite/ subdirectory on the server.

If you have any doubts or questions, some of the other technical folks here can surely help you.

Oh, before you start the procedure, "umount /dev/mmcblk0p2".

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #108
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Beware that ixtab's copy of my firmware has my password hashes (fiona2bc)... It also has my guid file, which perhaps should be erased so it can be regenerated on boot.

Comparing wifi firmware with 3G firmware showed which config files need to change to enable or disable 3G. Details were posted in another thread. Debricking a 3G K5 (and probably a PW) with a wifi image disables 3G, but editing that config file will fix that problem. Of course, this is not of concert for the diags partition if that is all you need.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-05-2012 at 11:40 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #109
faemir
faemir began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Sorry if this was said somewhere - but does this work on the kindle touch 5th version, which I presume has the same 5.3.0 firmware?
faemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #110
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only want to replace the minimum, so yeah, diags and kernel. Now, can I use your files geekmaster ? I am asking because according to their names (found the PW Directory obviously) they are 5.2.0 files.. does it make a difference ? It should not normally (my experience based solely on Android) but I'd rather be stupid than sorry.

Last edited by aceflor; 12-05-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #111
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
just a quicky, because I'll need to go and get drunk in a few minutes (Christmas party):
There are so many dirty jokes going through my head right now...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #112
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faemir View Post
Sorry if this was said somewhere - but does this work on the kindle touch 5th version, which I presume has the same 5.3.0 firmware?
The K5 is running older 5.1.x (or 5.0.x) firmware. Only the PW uses 5.2.0 or 5.3.0.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #113
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano42 View Post

offtopic:

I use my PW in Europe, and I don't have any option to deactivate ads in my amazon account (I want to pay the 20 $ but I don't have any options), can somebody lighten me how to do it?
I'm from Spain and I've just done it. In www.amazon.com change your country to a valid U.S.A. address (google how to get one, it's easy). Later use this address in your payment method. In "Manage my Kindle" you'll have the option to unsubscribe the special offers. Once you have complete the process you can back to your original address in your account and payment.
atleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #114
geekmaster

There are reports that amazon will remove ads for free if you live in a country where ads are not supported.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #115
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There are reports that amazon will remove ads for free if you live in a country where ads are not supported.
Seriously? I've just paid :S...
atleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #116
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atleon View Post
Seriously? I've just paid :S...
I just searched and did not find it. But I remember somebody reporting that when they called amazon the kindle support tech removed their Special Offers at no charge. I recall a discussion about that. Perhaps that was a special case. In other cases, people report having registered a fake US address to pay and remove ads...

It probably depends on what support tech you talk to and what you ask for. Amazon's policy regarding this issue may have changed as well.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #117
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
I tried it with a K5, they refused to do it for free. Neither *.de nor *.com. Both asked for 30 bucks ...
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #118
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
AAAAAAAAAAAAAnyway offtopic chatter about defeating Amazons profits again anyone??

Cough. The snooker is on.

*shuffle* err. It's snowing here...

Yeah. That worked... Yeah
Yeah totally subtle dude, you're so clever

ah thanks man
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #119
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I wish it were snowing here...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #120
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here we go - a new jailbreak method that works on all currently available Paperwhite devices, including Firmware 5.3.0
I haven't used this yet, because I've been holding my PW at v5.2.

But I just have to chime in and say "Bravo! Well done! Thanks."
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote