Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Ideas for actually booting Kindle DX Demo?

Does anyone have any tips on how to reset a Kindle DX Demo?

Not reset to DX image (that is for later when I actually open it up and have a serial adapter) but actually boot the damn thing?

I am one of those crazy ones who purchased from bangss on ebay a Demo Kindle Dx. See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190853

As expected, the DX arrived in a thin bubblewrap envelope(sent to Europe!), which as a bonus the local postlady tried to fit through the mail slot and failed half way through...

Surprisingly the Demo Kindle DX does not appear to be in a bad shape cosmetically.

However, I can not get any signs of life on the screen:the screen is showing Books in 60 seconds message(along with the tree and the person reading a book) at the very bottom it says Battery Low: Please Plug in Kindle to charge battery.

Well, I did just that and after 24 hours the battery is finally showing green.

However, the two methods of resetting have failed me: one being 15 second hold of the power slide button, second the 30 second hold then holding Home button.

Is there any other method?
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
A broken screen may show whatever was on it when it was still unbroken. Chances are that it was broken in shipment because of improper packaging to prevent screen flexing (which WILL damage the screen).

These are being shipped in a way that almost guarantees that they will NOT arrive intact. You should qualify for a "substantially not as described" refund.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I cant believe people are still buying those (no disrespect to the OP)...

Have you seen the ebay listing???? they are clearly floor sweepings...

Do Not Buy From That Seller. (err he wants +£500 postage on a thousand) YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

Word to the wise.... Do Not Buy From That Seller.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111 etc...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

No offense taken twobob I knew it was a risky attempt, when I ordered I had no idea that the seller would be shortsighted to ship the kindles with little protection.

What puzzles me that there is zero response from the screen (no flash, no nothing).

From my experience with broken LCDs(I've broken a few) and seeing other broken Kindle listings on ebay, you would expect to see some vertical or horizontal lines or something like that.

As it is it just shows the frozen welcome screen and that is all.

Maybe just a wire is loose that is all ? *wisheful thinking*

Another fun tidbit: the screen smells like it was cleaned by some cheap men's perfume

Last edited by Begemot; 09-19-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Begemot
Zealot

Exclamation

I've made some progress.

Got a TTL to USB adapter, connected GND, RX, Tx to Kindle serial pads.

Got to u-boot.

Booted kernel.

Logged in as framework:mario got shadow

Cracked root with password fiona***: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/Kindle3/RootShell

Still there are various problems constantly: serial connection is rather unreliable, possibly fault of the adapter but who knows.

Also, the micro USB cable is giving problems and I had to dowshift to USB 1.1 to be able to copy larger files.

It appears, the battery was run down completely and now it has problems charging and it discharges quite quickly.

Next step is going to be dissasemble the DX completely and see if I can get any signs of life into display.

I still refuse to believe that a display can fail completely. Hope dies last .

Forgot to add, to start the whole thing I had to hold down power for 15 seconds or so as usual.

Last edited by Begemot; 09-21-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Advert

Tags
advice, kindle dx