Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
MrClockwise
MrClockwise began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Separating a library in two independent sets in the Calibre interfase

Hello.

I have a large collection of fiction and nonfiction books mixed with a large amount of tabletop roleplaying games ebooks that I would like to keep separated, so when I used the search function, there should be no overlap between these ebook classes quickly.

Is that possible? How could I do that? Please, mind that I have no experience in programming, but I'm willing to mess around fiddly bits, if people could give me some instructions.
MrClockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It's fairly easy to do what you want:

- Click the library button (same icon as calibre) on the tool bar
- Choose the "Switch/create library..." option
- Enter or pick a location for the new library
- Select the "Create and empty..." option.
- I usually check the "Copy structure from the current library". This will include any custom columns you have in your current library. Without this, the new library is the stock calibre.
- Click the OK button.
- Switch back to your original library using the library button.
- Find and select the books you want to move to the new library
- Right-click on them and select "Copy to library" and then the "delete after copy" for your new library
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Or you can use tags to seperate nonfiction from fiction etc. in the same library and exclude from search.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClockwise View Post
I have a large collection of fiction and nonfiction books mixed with a large amount of tabletop roleplaying games ebooks that I would like to keep separated, so when I used the search function, there should be no overlap between these ebook classes quickly.

Is that possible? How could I do that? Please, mind that I have no experience in programming, but I'm willing to mess around fiddly bits, if people could give me some instructions.
The best way is to use tags to clearly identify your books then use the the restricted library function.

As an example after adding the Tabletop tags simply clicking in the Tag browser on the tag "Tabletop" so it shows a plus. This will show you only Tabletop books. Save this search (right side of calibre search bar) as Tabletop and you can simply click the Restrict to dropdown (left side of calibre search bar) and choose your Tabletop saved search to restrict you library view and activities to just Tabletop books. Once it is restricted all plugins and searches will treat this restriction as its own library.

Do the same for whatever other major items you would like to work with and search as a separate entity. This is a way of creating virtual separate libraries without the need to actually separate your books into separate libraries.

I have any new books added automatically tagged with a "working" tag. I have restrictions set for many things. I can select working library, finished library, adult fiction library etc...

Post 8 and 9 in this thread might clear up some of what I'm saying.

In the attachments below you can see how I restricted the library to my Finished Library and also to Classics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre (2).jpg
Views:	484
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	89995   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_classics.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	89999  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-31-2012 at 11:53 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd go for the tags approach. That way you don't have to manage an extra library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert