Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I highly disagree! The fact that ones imagination is engaged, is what helps the enjoyment of the music. Yes, people can multitask, but they're not "brain dead" otherwise. Plus why would you assume their problems are non-existent, are you in their heads? What a dismissive attitude.
I never said there were non-existent. I said they could forget about it if they are reading.

And it's personal experience I'm talking about. If I'm feeling depressed, I'll get more depressed listening to music (no matter the kind of music) but if I start reading, I'll forget about my problems for a while.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #32
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
The same with me, I suffer from depression and when I am down the last thing I want to do is listen to music. Doesn't matter what type, upbeat makes me feel bad because I am down and so it is a reminder that life sucks at that time. Down music just makes me feel even sadder.

Books, however, let me escape from what my mind is dwelling on. I am no longer thinking of what is bothering me, I can be in the make-believe world of the story.
When I have finished the book, that world can leave me with a sense of hope, things can work out. Even the dark, angst books that I like have a happy ending, which is encouraging.

A good study however, would note the type of music, books, what is going on at home (divorce, promotions, loss of job, moving, finding a girl/boy friend, breaking up with girl/boy friend . . . ). What other variables are being examined, outside factors?

If there is a car accident, was it due the spilt coffee, or did the coffee spill because of the accident?

As my sadistics (opps, statistics) instructor stated, and has been noted here, correlation is not causation.
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert