Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #106
PatrickTC
PatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsPatrickTC can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kobo - Mini, Glo, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Even though I really want a 5", such a device would tempt me. However, cruel reality says that they can't shave enough from the size of the Glo HD to make a 6" Clara lustworthy.
I'm not as doubtful, issybird.

With my Mini and Glo HD side by side, I believe it is absolutely doable.

They could halve the size of the bezels on the Glo HD and make a device that was about the size of the Mini and still usable.

IMHO, of course.
PatrickTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 PM   #107
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
(Pardon the rant.)

They used to be, anyhow. Their Amazon Marketplace is a joke. Amazon claims to "guarantee" their sellers, but they don't appear to even vet them. My niece bought a phone (it was one of the Moto E4s that had Amazon branding). Her and her sisters had bought four of these earlier (from the same seller) and they wanted a fifth for a friend. But when the phone arrived it was the Verizon branded one (that you could get on Best Buy for about $50 — half the price) and it wouldn't work on the Sprint network (as the phone they ordered would). Apparently the seller ran out of the original phones and tried to slip this one in. "No problem" right? Amazon "guarantees" their sales. My niece requested a return, followed the instructions to the letter, PAID for the return shipping and tracked the phone to the seller's personal lock box. And she waited for her refund ... and waited ... and waited. Finally she got hold of Amazon, they received the tracking information and said that the seller would issue a refund within five days ... next day they get a notice that the seller had appealed, saying he "never got the phone." My brother countered the appeal, showing – again – that the packaged phone was tracked to the seller's personal lock box. Amazon denied that appeal, said he should have gotten "signature" confirmation. My brother appeals again, saying that his daughter followed the instructions to the letter – they did EXACTLY what Amazon requested they do. Again denied "our decision is final." I think there may have been one more appeal – again denied. So, at this point, the last I heard, my niece is out $100 for the phone, plus about $16 for the original shipping and tax, plus about $10 more for the return shipping. All because a lying dirtbag apparently can rip off Amazon customers at will and Amazon will do nothing about it. (This cheat still sells on Amazon's Marketplace.)

I've "bought" three items on Amazon's Marketplace (mechanical pencils, small purchases) that never shipped. (In this case, since the shipping never happened, Amazon did not withdraw the money from my account.) But I was left in limbo – were they sales going to go through, or not? Should I look elsewhere for the item? Since the sellers are promoted by Amazon you would think they take some responsibility in the matter. Nope. What they do is give you the contact information for the unresponsive seller and let you wade through the muck. I don't know what these sellers' game was, I'm guessing they wanted me to contact them directly to negotiate the sale and bypass Amazon. One of them "moved" their "location" from New Mexico, to Italy, to Spain in the time it took for the sale to eventually be cancelled. Can you say "fraud?" I'm now leery of buying anything from the "guaranteed" Amazon Marketplace. And, if you look online, I'm not the only one.

Amazon, itself – the real Amazon, not one of their bogus "guaranteed" marketers, often slips on promised "guaranteed" shipping dates. They change the arrival date and list the packages as "On Time." The old "on time" arrival date goes down a black hole somewhere. Several times I've paid more for the "Prime" ("guaranteed" two day delivery) item because I needed the part right away. A guarantee is supposed to be a guarantee.

And then you read stories about Amazon delivery people, every move tracked by Amazon and so overworked that they're going to the bathroom in people's driveways.

Yeah, I'm beginning to not like Amazon.

Meanwhile Walmart has a new CEO (a year or two ago) who's starting to treat their employees better and is actually hiring enough people to stock the shelves and clean the stores. He also understands he needs to compete with Amazon online. I don't know if he'll be allowed to fix Walmart, or if the stockholders will begin grumbling about the cost, but at least there are hopeful signs. Two years ago you could hardly drag me into a Walmart. It's still not my favorite place in the world but I go there now (sometimes). And I'm definitely interested in them competing online against Amazon. Someone needs to.

Yep. It would be good if Walmart / Kobo came up with something to directly compete with the Kindle Basic (like Kobo's old Touch).
Guess I been lucky so far but I had two amazon market sellers send me something other than what was ordered. Both times I emailed amazon and they credited my card for the expense and told me to keep the items. They also offered to upgraded my shipping if I reordered the item from someone else. Both times I did not attempt to contact the seller as it stated the items were not returnable.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #108
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Guys no news about the Clara HD?
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #109
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
Guys no news about the Clara HD?
As far as I know, Kobo hasn't yet officially announced the Clara yet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #110
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Maybe David & Co can find some clues in the new firmware?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #111
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Maybe David & Co can find some clues in the new firmware?
I've looked and can find one interesting possibility, but can't tell what screen size of resolution it is. But, I didn't really try hard.

And I asked on the beta list. The only conclusion I have from that is the Kobo employees there like to tease us.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #112
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've looked and can find one interesting possibility...
Which is?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #113
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Which is?
Not something I can talk about because I am a member of the beta list and that is covered by an NDA. Plus, I'm not sure about what I saw. Now, if someone else discovers it and starts talking...
Old 04-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #114
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
You tease.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #115
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not something I can talk about because I am a member of the beta list and that is covered by an NDA. Plus, I'm not sure about what I saw. Now, if someone else discovers it and starts talking...
I'll be happy to look once I have some more time. Maybe a hint if possible? There are just so many places to look.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #116
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm betting on a 1072x1448 resolution My WEG specs are 6", 300DPI using the eInk ED060KC1 display module with added RGB frontlight, HZO waterproofing, i.MX6SLL processor, mass storage will be 8GB eMMC and 512MB/1GB LPDDR3 RAM -- I'd like to see 1GB but suspect 512MB is the more likely configuration.

The processor is based on it's use in the Rev 2 versions of Kobo's H2O V2 and Aura V2 ereaders.
I'm betting on a 10.3" screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #117
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm betting on a 10.3" screen.
I'm sticking with the smaller screen as competition for Amazon and B&N's 300 DPI 6" devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #118
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
10.3 inches? Oh my, that would be interesting. Probably cost a fortune if they ever made one, though. And if that's the case, it better have lots of storage to make up for their no SD card trend.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #119
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
All is revealed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViYmrN_zBBU
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:06 AM   #120
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
Looks like it is a "Glo ONE".

Power button on the bottom edge and the USB socket offset. I can see myself fumbling to plug it in and turning it off.

Now, when can I buy one? Or do I really want an Aura ONE again? Decisions.