Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A hint - check your Amazon library for updated books occasionally

As people will of course be aware, publishers update books from time to time to fix issues, etc, and, most of the time, the updated book will automatically be sent to the device it was originally sent to. If, however, you no longer have that device (or no longer use it), this won't be the case.

I'd suggest, therefore, going to your "Manage Your Content and Devices" page at Amazon from time to time, and paging through your library. If a book has an "Update Available" message alongside it, first click the update message and click the "Update" button on the resulting dialog box, and then click "..." and send the updated book to your current device.

I have about 3000 books in my Amazon library, and this only takes me a few minutes to do. I do it at the start of every month, and generally find that about a dozen books have been updated.

Well worth taking the time to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
but do you then have to read them all again to find out what changed, or is there info somewhere?

I assumed that ticking send me updated books somewhere in the preferences was a global account setting -
you reckon I should check and tick it on every device i own as otherwise it goes only to where ? the 1st device it was ever downloaded to ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It was much easier when Amazon used to let you sort by books with updates. My library has about 12.5K items and it takes quite a while to scroll through things.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Is there any reason not to have "Automatic Book Updates" on so they automatically update?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Is there any reason not to have "Automatic Book Updates" on so they automatically update?
For those who sideload all their books, yes. I never download anything from Amazon directly to my Kindle, mostly because I want to edit the layout and formatting. I'm pretty anal about it.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I want to know when something is updated so I can re-download it and update the copy in my Calibre library. With auto updates they don't always let you know there was a change.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I clearly explained in my original post, that will only send an updated book to the device that it was originally sent to. It that device is no longer in use, nothing will happen.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:19 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still don't get the value, sorry - for every 100 fiction books i buy - i might consider re-reading 1 out of the 100
knowing that some of the other 99 have been updated but not knowing how - they fix a comma or add delete a paragraph, or correct one or more typos - seems to be useless information ?

if I were buying educational reference tomes than I could see the value - but read-once mystery/thriller/novels - no.

I accept they will only auto update on the device orignally sent to but as they don't divulge what device that was ?, is'a a crap service. many of my book went to a " wrong" device as there was some default that I did not get around to changing & because I suspect that every time you buy a new device that auto-becomes your default send-to device for everything
mostly amazon are very good but when they are bad they are shockingly bad. e.g. ( off topic) i know I can only uploaded 250 of my own songs fro free to amazon music. but it is impossible to see how many of the 250 slots i had used , and i had to go thru 3 x CS people before i got to one who understood the question . the music app used to say thet, then they updated it to a version that does not say.. as for getting a list of the 235 songs that amazon say I have uploaded, well I gave up on that after wasting about 2 hours on the web site and in the music app options

Last edited by stumped; 12-04-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

PS- i gave it a try- on page 1 of my content - it said update available for 2 of 90 books
so i asked for the updates & it said sent- then i thought ( so where were they sent to so I look over in the left side menu where it says I can send to default device - I click on default device & it says I don't have one set. so where.
i am certain that neither of those 2 books is currently installed an any device. does that matter ?
so I am still confused, if I now go to one of my several Amazon reade-capable devices and manually download the book that I just accepted an update for ( Neal Stephenson's Seveneyes) will I automatically nwo get the updated version , no matter what device I use. And, as that is a ~1000 page book, is there any available clue as to what changed. (Reading it once was tedious enough - I dont plan on reading it twice )
Old 12-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I still don't get the value, sorry - for every 100 fiction books i buy - i might consider re-reading 1 out of the 100
knowing that some of the other 99 have been updated but not knowing how - they fix a comma or add delete a paragraph, or correct one or more typos - seems to be useless information ?
Sure, if you don't re-read books, fair enough. Your choice, of course. But it's worth it for me because I do re-read, and also I have not yet read the majority of books in my library, so when I do come to read them, naturally I'd like to have the best version available.

Quote:
then i thought ( so where were they sent to so I look over in the left side menu where it says I can send to default device - I click on default device & it says I don't have one set. so where.
Go to the "Devices" tab of the "Manage your content and devices" page, select the device or app you'd like to be the default, and select "Set as default device" from the list of options below it.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:07 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
and also I have not yet read the majority of books in my library, so when I do come to read them, naturally I'd like to have the best version available.

ah , that's the key difference - I do not buy books until i am ready to read them , then I read immediately, except for the 1 a month kindle first giveaways which are usually crap and often abandoned part way thru
surely most books go down in price as they age, so why stock up, unless you anticipate an out of print situation or have found some big" buy now or regret it "book sale event
Old 12-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
surely most books go down in price as they age, so why stock up, unless you anticipate an out of print situation or have found some big" buy now or regret it "book sale event
Because almost all the books I buy are "backlist", not newly-released, hence their price is stable. An awful lot have been bought in sales, too.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Some people buy ahead. There is a Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread on MobileRead.

Quote:
And, as that is a ~1000 page book, is there any available clue as to what changed. (Reading it once was tedious enough - I dont plan on reading it twice )
A while ago I wondered the same thing and so I used the "Compare to another book" feature of "Edit book" in calibre to check for changes with an assortment of updated books. It varied quite a bit. Some were fixed typos, updated marketing blurbs (books by the same author, etc.), and resizing of images. Nothing too significant in the particular books I checked.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yep. I recently got updated versions of several of Winston Graham's "Poldark" series, for example, where the covers had been updated to fit in with the recent BBC TV adaptation of the series.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I don't use the update anymore. Many books are still unread in my account so its not about re-reading. I too buy lots of back list stuff and also lots of sales items.
I used to have the auto update turned on. Now I have devices that I might not use, but they are all still registered to my account back to my first kindle the K1. The reason I don't update anymore is that I got screwed over by authors and that turned me off from doing it. I only know these cases because of other readers and I came across it. Who knows what other books got messed with.

One case it was a book, out of print re-released after like 20 years. I so wanted that book to read again. So I bought it outright. I didn't get to reading it right away and I had the auto update on. Next thing I knew readers complained that the author "cleansed" the book. Made it PC basically for today's standards. Basically mutilated the book that was so beloved by many. Unfortunately, mine had already been replaced with the new version.
This is unfortunately not a isolated thing with authors that wrote certain books 20-30 years ago, especially in the historical romance genre.

The other incident known to me was a book I bought, didn't get to it right away and some time after the author replaced that one with 25% of the book. Basically they decided to chop the book up in pieces and sell it as a serial.
I did get my money back on that one and I hope amazon keeps track of that better, but I guess how would they know, unless someone reads the thing.

So that is why I do not update anything anymore. At least not before I read. Now say I read a book and I find out from the start that there are lots of formatting errors or spell, I can always check in the account if there is an update at that time. At least at this point and couple of years back now, I expect the books to be published in the best condition as possible. Back when I bought paperbacks, I couldn't go to the store and turn it in for another print either. So shouldn't be an issue. So far it hasn't been really.

And also, since they took away the drop down where you could see all books that had an update, its impossible to find anything if you have a good size library. And the hated infinity scroll makes it even worse. I hate that thing. I'd sit there for hours trying to scroll, scroll scroll.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote