Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
mreames
mreames began at the beginning.

E-books on cellphones: what's the scoop?

I'm doing some research on the use of e-books on cellphones. Since I know little about this (one reason I'm coming here, to learn!), I humbly appreciate answers to a few questions. Hopefully the answers will also benefit others wanting to know how to purchase and read e-books on cellphones.

1. What commercial e-book formats are currently being sold and read on cellphones?

2. For these formats, are they supported in most cellphone models, or just a few?

3. For these formats, do any use DRM?

4. How large is the current market for ebooks read on cellphones? In Europe? In the U.S.? In Asia?

Thanks!

Mike Eames
mreames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
You are kidding, right??
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
If you have a Treo, you can use ereader. Also, I tested a service that sent java ebooks to my RazR. I think it was Mjbook, which is mentioned on the Manybooks.net blog...

http://manybooks.net/site_news/#post-22

(btw, manybooks also sends ebooks to cell phones.)
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #4
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
A reader app for Moto phones

Look here: http://yuetblog.blogspot.com/2006_08...g_archive.html and then search down for "YuetReader v1.0". This blog describes a java reader for some Motorola phones. At the end of the entry there are three download locations where you can get the 35K jar file. To use the reader you must package it with your text file(s) in a zip file, then install it to your phone via USB. Instructions for this are included in the article. I have not tried it.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote