Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
calibre won't recognize my Droid

I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong, but calibre (Win 0.6.26) won't recognize my Motorola Droid. The Android plugin is installed and enabled.

I've plugged the Droid into the PC and tried it both mounting the SD card and w/o mounting it, but to no avail. Whenever I select an epub file and click "Send to Device", I get the same error message "Cannot send: no device is connected"

The Droid is connected, and I can see the SD card (when mounted) as a drive and read/write to it, so I'm thinking that I'm missing a step in calibre's setup?

Thanks, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Droid driver is experimental, so it may not be working correctly. Post the output of running

calibre-debug -d

ina command prompt
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
Carl314
Enthusiast

Kovid - thanks for your response. I ran calibre-debug with the Droid SD card mounted, and when I was reviewing the output, noticed that it saw the card.

I then tried connecting the Droid and mounting the SD card BEFORE starting calibre, rather than once calibre was launched (as I was doing previously), and sure enough, it recognized the card, and now transfers books perfectly.

I then tried unmounting the SD card - obviously calibre could not see communicate with the Droid, but once remounted, calibre communicated with it perfectly without having to restart calibre.

I am getting an error message, however, after calibre starts as it is first recognizing the mounted SD card:

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

'in <string>' requires string as left operand, not list

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 57, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 203, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 63, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 100, in my_join
File "ntpath.py", line 73, in join
File "ntpath.py", line 58, in isabs
TypeError: 'in <string>' requires string as left operand, not list

However, clicking OK dismisses the error message, and the SD card then works fine.

One other question - is it possible to send just the epub file to the SD card without the author/title path? Once Aldiko imports the files, it moves the epub files, but does not delete the empty sub-directories from the imports folder.

Thanks for your assistance, and the excellent program. I just donated $25 to show my appreciation.

Cheers, Carl.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you open a ticket with that error message I'm a little busy at the moment, so I'll only be able to look at it in a few days.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Carl314
Enthusiast

Kovid - ticket opened.

Thanks, Carl.
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Agrajag
Connoisseur
Agrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it is

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I just got hit by this with the latest version.

This "Droid driver" you mention--Is that the Android driver or is there some specific Droid driver that I'm not seeing?

My issue is that the device finds my Droid but when I try to copy a book to it I get an error telling me there's no SD card in that location. I get the standard options of copy to memory, copy to SD Card A, copy to SD Card B (even though it only has one). I also need a way to tell it:

1) My books are located in one folder
2) When I copy books I want them to go to SD \ebooks\import

How can I get this working?

(Just for the fun of it, I went to log in and found my unusual name already "taken" and don't recall ever being here. Turns out I joined back in 2002 when I was using my Palm m515! Glad to see quality places still around. I'm assuming that was for Plucker! Wow.)
Agrajag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What's the exact error message and yet its the android driver
Old 12-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Agrajag
Connoisseur
Agrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it isAgrajag knows what time it is

The device is recognized as shows up in the list.

However, I can't see any of the books on the device (no way to point it to the right folder on the sd card "ebooks").

When I attempt to copy to the device I point at the book of interest. I push the button to send. I get asked what format I want. epub is the only choice. I select it by pressing the Ok button.

After a few seconds I get an error message saying:

"Error communication with device"

I click Show Details and see the following:

The reader has no storage card in this slot.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 57, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 229, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 101, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 698, in _sanity_check
ValueError: The reader has no storage card in this slot.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're using what version of calibre?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Agrajag
Connoisseur

Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What happens if you click the arrow next to the send button and select send to main memory
Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Agrajag
Connoisseur

It sends it there so clearly it can talk to the device (though I don't want the books there).

It just seems to not know how to reach the SD card correctly.

FYI, I just easily deleted them as well.

Would it be easy to see that you've found an Android device and then allow the user to edit the Android device? At that point we could say where specifically we wanted books to go. Even better would be allowing multiple entries and then you just prompt. Different readers on the device (I use Aldiko) want the books in different locations.

When you're showing me the books on the device you're only showing me, apparently, main memory. I have books on the SD card. Aldiko and file utilities easily see them. Should Calibre see these too?

Lastly, the entries for sending to the SD card are now grayed out and weren't before.

Last edited by Agrajag; 12-15-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can customize where you want the files to go in main memory (goto preferences->plugins and customize the android plugin).

The last set of data I had on the droid led me to believe it had only an SD card and no main memory (accessible via a drive). If your device is diiferent post the output of

calibre-debug -d

with the device connected.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Agrajag
Connoisseur

Ah, it sounds like "Main Memory" in this case is actually the SD card. Main memory is accessible by apps but not as a drive, as you noted. Thus it's a bit confusing the way it's presented but it sounds workable.

The issue then would be the ability to read two different locations:

1. Where the books end up.

2. Where the books need to be placed to be "imported" by various readers.

In my case books end up in /ebooks with a typical directory structure of Author/Book/Book.epub but they need to be copied to /ebooks/import in order to get there. Just placing them in the former won't allow aldiko to work with them.

And, to let you know, it IS working like that. My issue was trying to send to the SD card as far as Calibre was presenting it. So again, it'd be great if this was explained somewhere and also if there was a setting to where to look for what books are actually on the device in question if they're in a different location from where you drop them off.

Last edited by Agrajag; 12-15-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the driver infrastructure wont support a different location to read books from and a different location to send books too. I suggest getting the aldiko author to fix his software or use fbreader or wordplayer.