Get the kindle 2 if you would like to surf the web for FREE 1 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Surfing the WEB with Kindle 2 share your experience and tips

Are you surfing the web with your kindle 2?
How do you like the experience?
Do you have any tips and websites that you recommend that aided you in doing this?
Does the surfing the web experience suck? or is it cool? is it slow?

Offer your experience with this feature.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
Are you surfing the web with your kindle 2?
How do you like the experience?
Do you have any tips and websites that you recommend that aided you in doing this?
Does the surfing the web experience suck? or is it cool? is it slow?

Offer your experience with this feature.
I have a Kindle 1 and I like to check my twitter, facebook, and Gmail accounts with it, as well as checkout BBC News.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I tried it a few times, but it is frustratingly slow. Navingating by jumping from link to link with the joystick is a pain.

I only use it when I KNOW that I will forget to look something up by the time I get home. When I get curious about something and want to research it.

I would probably use it a lot more if it were WiFi (fast) and had either a touch pad or trackball.

But then it would probably be more expensive, well into netbook territory.

I think if one looks at it as kind of a secondary feature and were in the 3G territory,one would not be disappointed.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I had a hard time choosing among the options. It's true that websurfing is slow on the Kindle--but since I don't have an iPhone or anything, it's nice to have free access to the web at all.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's certainly not great for regular web browsing and I wouldn't get one with that function in mind. It does work OK though. At one point I had about 900 books in Mobi format in a password protected area of my web server and it would surf that and download a book fairly quick, but there were not graphics involved on the pages indexing the books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Surfing the web on Kindle reminds me of the days I tried to browse websites from Windows Mobile phone before getting an iPhone.

It's slow and even relatively simple websites (my blog included) have hard time rendering.

Kindle is for reading - not for browsing. With the wireless data costs Amazon would go bankrupt if web-browsing worked well in Kindle
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Not good for the web at all imo. I do use my iPhone for the web so I am not opposed to using a small device for it, but the Kindle does not do it well.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I would not use the Kindle as my main access to the internet because it is sluggish and since I usually have a laptop with me I don't often need to use it. But there have been times when it has come in handy. I been in places where my AT&T broadband wireless card couldn't get a signal but my Kindle could. On a recent road trip where I chose not to bring a computer, it was nice to be able to check my email and MobileRead ( ) while someone else was driving.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 AM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I follow tennis scores with my Kindle during slams. It was put to good use during the US Open when I was at my nephews football games. That's the only time I use the web on the Kindle, during slams. But all 4 slams have a mobile site and the Kindle handles them really well.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have a Kindle 1 rather than 2 but I don't think the difference in web experience is all that different. If anything the clickity wheel is probably faster than the joystick for navigation. I love Wikipedia search and the Public Domain catalogs. Mostly the wireless is off unless I'm pulling content. I'd rather use my phone for web stuff if I'm not near a computer. It may be a much smaller screen but the screen is much faster for panning and zooming.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
I hate browsing on the Kindle. I only open a browser when an RSS feed in KindleFeeder doesn't do a full download, and I have to read the rest on the website, and then I choose whether it's worth using the web browser to finish reading or not.

I wouldn't bat an eyelash if the Kindle dropped browsing, it's almost 100% useless for anything I do. I can't imagine opening Gmail on it. Braver souls, LOL.
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #12
Kat89447
Kat89447 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I love that my K2 has the option, but it wasn't a make or break issue when I got it. I have no doubt that the web will get better, but it is not as good as a computer. On occasion I will look something up or check email, but I have a cell phone for that as well. I multi task so much throughout my day that when I sit down to read, that's all I do and don't really want my Kindle to go the way of cell phones like when you start buying a cell phone for all the options besides the actual phone lol. I also could care less if they bring out a touch screen or color, but I don't read magazines or blogs on my K2. I read books on it.
Kat89447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
the biggest problem with the kindle surfing the web is the cursor: when you're trying to toggle the 5-way joystick, it will skip over tabs, or you'll have to push R or L to get to a tab, even though its above the tab your'e on. just a nightmare in my opinion. stick with laptop or iphone for internet. love the kindle, but not for internet surfing.
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I have a Palm Pre smartphone that is far superior for websurfing, that I always have with me. But I'm glad that I have my K2 as a backup in case I need to conserve phone battery and feel an urgent need to websurf (most likely to pass the time if I get tired of reading while stuck in an airport or somesuch). I agree with most of the negative comments about the K2 browsing experience, and I won't use it for that except in urgent need. I decided I was suspicious of the AT&T 3G network and didn't need international capability, so I chose to get the domestic US-only Kindle, but now that I think about it, getting an international Kindle would have given me a great option for that if I was in an area that had AT&T wireless but no Sprint (my phone is from Sprint)!

I doubt Amazon will ever make (or seek to make) any Kindle a great browser, as it would really drive up their costs (and ultimately our Kindle price) if this became truly popular. I actually am pleased with the situation as is--The K2 is there to browse in a crunch, but it is not so pleasing that people are likely to start using it for that as a primary option and run costs up.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
ha but now that I think about it, getting an international Kindle would have given me a great option for that if I was in an area that had AT&T wireless but no Sprint (my phone is from Sprint)!
If you're within the 30 day trial period, you can return the Sprint K2 for the International version. Of course, you'll pay the price difference and maybe return shipping (not sure if they'll charge you for shipping if you're upgrading).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote