Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
The term "brick and mortar" store generally means a store that has one or more physical stores that you can actually walk in to to look at their goods. So, basically your category 1.

Although, the fact that a brick and mortar retailer also has an online presence doesn't preclude them from being called a brick and mortar store. It's more the absence of a physical store (online only) that puts a retailer out of the brick and mortar category.

Amazon is way out performing brick and mortar stores in this household. Even if I can walk into a store in town (where the selection is horribly limited by the way), very often they will be out of stock on what I want and the price will be high.

Often, the price is lower at Amazon and the thing might qualify for free shipping. Meaning I don't even have to bear the cost of driving in to town to shop for something that (1) they don't carry or (2) don't have in stock.

There are a lot of us people out here in the sticks who are starting to figure this out.
I can see your point. I was just trying to say it's comparing apples and oranges to compare Amazon (even if only the book portion but even more so with all their other stuff) to companies like Fictionwise and Barnes and Noble. Such a comparison (all of Amazon's stuff) would be like saying there's more stuff in the world than in my back yard. While true, it is totally meaningless.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I had a horrible (horrible) experience with Buy.com not long after they started up.
You're not alone. I was thinking of buying something from them a while ago and started looking into them. They get a lot of really bad reviews.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #18
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I can see your point. I was just trying to say it's comparing apples and oranges to compare Amazon (even if only the book portion but even more so with all their other stuff) to companies like Fictionwise and Barnes and Noble. Such a comparison (all of Amazon's stuff) would be like saying there's more stuff in the world than in my back yard. While true, it is totally meaningless.
Agreed. The comparison is flawed at best. But the people who get paid to analyze and write articles on these sorts of comparisons keep churning them out anyway, flawed or not.

The trick is to see the flaw in the analysis and then read the piece with the flaws in the forefront of your mind. I spend a lot of time picking apart legal reasoning that is flawed, and as a result, I've become what is essentially a professional picker of nits. About everything.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Well, I am not out in the sticks, and I still love Amazon for the selection. Even though you can find almost anything in Chicago, you still have to deal with out-of-stock, traffic, rude sales people . . . Give me Amazon for my hard goods and ebooks, and Mobile Read for my tech help. Mobile Read even goes 24 hours a day - Amazon won't ship in the middle of the night! I would certainly pay for the help I have gotten here. Is someone missing a marketing opportunity?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Well, I am not out in the sticks, and I still love Amazon for the selection. Even though you can find almost anything in Chicago, you still have to deal with out-of-stock, traffic, rude sales people . . . Give me Amazon for my hard goods and ebooks, and Mobile Read for my tech help. Mobile Read even goes 24 hours a day - Amazon won't ship in the middle of the night! I would certainly pay for the help I have gotten here. Is someone missing a marketing opportunity?
Ah, but they will Whispernet in the middle of the night. That's something at least.

I would probably buy groceries from Amazon if I could. I'm sure the selection and quality would be better than the local HEB (where they don't even stock something if you beg them to order it special for you.
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Ah, but they will Whispernet in the middle of the night. That's something at least.
They used to NowNow ThenThen but NowNow they DontDont.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
HaHa !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:

BOb
pfffft!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #24
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Good point about groceries. Our household does use on-line grocery delivery service from time to time. We used most of the defunct ones and now we're down to Vons.com.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #25
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

BOb
Bob, you should be ashamed of yourself
Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #26
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I LOVED Webvan. At the end, they were giving me all sorts of free stuff, just for being a regular. Tried peapod, but not the same.

This is an unserved market. For example, right now I would really like some Pepridge Farm cookies.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #27
coolcat1901
coolcat1901 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I agree, Amazon Prime is key. You can order a $5 dvd and has it shipped with 2 day shipping... not sure how they make any profit unless people pay $80 and never use it. I know I've used a heck of a lot more then $80 worth of shipping!
coolcat1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #28
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat1901 View Post
I agree, Amazon Prime is key. You can order a $5 dvd and has it shipped with 2 day shipping... not sure how they make any profit unless people pay $80 and never use it. I know I've used a heck of a lot more then $80 worth of shipping!
Prime pays for itself just with my Christmas shopping. Now if they could cut me a deal on the wrapping, I'd be thrilled.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Some one on this thread is hosting either their avatar or a graphic in their sig from pixel.quantserve.com. It is taking a very long time to load and keeps pausing the page. Can you please upload your avatar or graphic directly to the mobilread web site which seems to have much better traffic/bandwidth.

Also the image must be set to expire the header immediately or else my browser would cache it. Something needs to be fixed.

THanks,
BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-01-2009 at 03:45 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #30
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's a web tracker by Quantcast:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">_qacct="*******";quantserve();</script>
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote