Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
Delete Bookmarks on 700

I just realized from reading another post that when I shut off my 700 it is saving bookmarks. I didnt know about the soft shutoff - so thanks. Now I can not figure out how to delete bookmarks, help please.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Setting" the bookmark again on a page which has one, removes it.

I'm a little confused, though - why are you setting bookmarks in the first place if you don't want them to be saved? Apologies if I've misunderstood you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Palladin
Connoisseur

I have many bookmarks that I dont remember making; too many to deal with. I read a post that when shutting off (soft shutoff) the 700 it creats a bookmark unless you hold the shutoff for 3 seconds.

I need to delete all these bookmarks and I remember you could do it easily with the 500.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the clarification - I didn't know that the 700 did that; the 500 and 505 certainly don't!

Is there no menu item for deleting all the bookmarks as there is on the 505? It was, IIRC, under the "Options" menu on the 505.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The 700 doesn't create a bookmark in the same fashion as the "turned corner" bookmark when you turn the power off. It simply remembers the page you are on when you turn it off so it starts up back there.

The created bookmarks work just like the do on the 500 and 505 -- the mechanism to create them is different (double-tap in the corner as opposed to pushing the Bookmark button) but they work just the same.

But there doesn't seem to be a "delete all bookmarks" function because the bookmarks are an aspect of the notes that can be taken, so the only way I can see to delete bookmarks is to go to the page they're on and turn off the bookmark for that page.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Palladin
Connoisseur

Thanks for the clarification, I went to every page and deleted them. I need to be little more selective with my bookmarks and erase them continually.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Btw there is a setting that blocks/unblocks access to bookmarks/notes so you cannot create or erase any.

It's hide bookmarks from the options button. I do not know if it would save the bookmarks in a crash, but it may be useful to use it when not using it the 700 for an extended period.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I went to every page and deleted them. I need to be little more selective with my bookmarks and erase them continually.
What I do is to create a bookmark on the page I'm on when I turn off the reader. Then when I turn it on again, I remove that bookmark and read until I'm ready stop, at which point I create a new bookmark. That way each book only has a single bookmark (unless there are some other things I want to reference again, obviously) the same as I do with paper books.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
What I do is to create a bookmark on the page I'm on when I turn off the reader. Then when I turn it on again, I remove that bookmark and read until I'm ready stop, at which point I create a new bookmark. That way each book only has a single bookmark (unless there are some other things I want to reference again, obviously) the same as I do with paper books.
Sorry, David, but why do you need to do that? The Sony Reader automatically remembers your place in the book when you turn it off, doesn't it?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, David, but why do you need to do that? The Sony Reader automatically remembers your place in the book when you turn it off, doesn't it?
I do this too for the simple reason that I read from many books at a given time and the easiest way to flip from one to another is from Notes/Bookmarks. I tried other ways, like making a special collection, but it's much easier to update Bookmarks consistently.

This is why I miss the 770/Fbreader feature of listing the last 100 opened books in order of date say and wonder why it's such a big deal to implement this on the Sony - the software should just make an in-built collection "recent" that updates itself each time you open a book...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
dhbailey
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I do this too for the simple reason that I read from many books at a given time and the easiest way to flip from one to another is from Notes/Bookmarks. I tried other ways, like making a special collection, but it's much easier to update Bookmarks consistently.[snip]
That's why I do it, so I can change books as my fancy takes me, just as I've always done with paper books. For instance I was reading William LeQueux's the Great White Queen and got to page 290 (out of 670 or so) and got bored with the "almost like Haggard but not nearly as good" quality and decided to take a break and switched to an H C Bailey book. But I plan to go back to the LeQueux book, so my bookmark stays where I can find it.

I have lots of paper books with bookmarks, and my electronic books aren't any different.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I use this same method. Also, before changing font sizes I also create a bookmark so that I can find the page I was reading, since the repagination doesn't put you back where you left off in the other font.

I find that some bookmarks are stubborn to delete. I will add a comment to the bookmark, just a single letter, then try to delete again, and it will ask for verification to delete bookmark with note.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote