Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 01-31-2003, 03:36 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Smile

Due popular demand....

This is how I do it. Example is the NYTimes site which requires an access password. Screenshots are attached.

1) Download Mozilla Phoenix. I use it instead of Internet Explorer because Mozilla displays the cookies in the same format like iSiloX.

2) Install Phoenix and start it. In it, open the NY Times site. There, click on the LogIn link. Enter your login information and make sure that " Remember my Member ID and password on this computer" is checked (otherwise no cookie information is saved). Log in.

3) Now go to Menu:Tools:Preferences and from there go to the Privacy tab. Open the cookie manager. See all the cookies whose "site" is "nytimes.com":
Quote:
nytimes.com spopunder
nytimes.com tpopunder
nytimes.com RMID
nytimes.com NYT_GR
nytimes.com NYT-S
nytimes.com RDB
nytimes.com nvt-d
Keep the cookie manager open for a while. We will need it later in step 4.

Not all of these cookies are used to store your password. Some are used for tracking and advertisement purposes - we don't want these. How do I know which cookies are needed? What I usually do is to add *all* cookies of a particular site to iSiloX, and then delete one after the other, each time doing a new hotsync to see that the required cookies are still there. If the hotsync fails (prompt for login screen is displayed again), I know that I deleted one of the required cookies - so I put it back to iSiloX. I end up with only two nytimes.com cookies that are required for the password authentication:

nytimes.com NYT-S
nytimes.com RMID

Well, you might ask how to add cookies in general to iSiloX. Read on.

4. So you want to add the two cookies to iSiloX. Open iSiloX, create a new channel and go to the cookies tab. Make sure you check both permissions, send cookie and receive cookie. Then click on "Add Cookie..." With the Phoenix Cookie Manager still open, go to the first required cookie, nytimes.com NYT-S. Copy the information there to your iSiloX Cookie entries (field "information" in Phoenix corresponds to field "value" in iSiloX). Do the same thing for the second require cookie, nytimes.com RMID. See attached screendumps for examples.

Thats it. Do it a few times and it will go all automatically.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:37 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Screendump 1:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-3-1044002228.jpg
Views:	1931
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	9  
Advert
Old 01-31-2003, 03:37 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Screendump 2:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	post-3-1044002243.jpg
Views:	2059
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	10  
Old 01-31-2003, 03:37 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Screendump 3:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	post-3-1044002266.jpg
Views:	1992
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	11  
Old 01-31-2003, 03:38 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Screendump 4:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	post-3-1044002297.jpg
Views:	2055
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	12  
Advert
Old 01-31-2003, 05:59 AM   #6
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Awesome.

I've been meaning to get Mozilla anyway, so this was great incentive.

You rule.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #7
wade
wade began at the beginning.

Dude, u Rock! Fascinating.

For those who dont want to d/l mozilla (in this instance) since you know which cookies you need, go to your cookies directory in documents & settings find the NYTimes cookie file (mine's called microsoft user@nytimes[2].txt) and open it in notepad. The values are seperated by a black squares. The fiirst value after the cookie name is the value you need. Remainder of instructions above.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:33 AM   #8
javabird
Enthusiast
javabird began at the beginning.

Device: Clie T615C
Thanks for this info!

For those on a Mac, you can use Camino. With a text editor, open the cookies.txt doc (in the username/Library/Application Support/Chimera folder). The cookie name is 2nd from the end and the value name is the last item.

It's easier to find the cookie name using Safari (in Security Preferences). If it's a long value, you can copy and paste it into iSiloX from Camino's text file.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:23 PM   #9
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally posted by wade
:go to your cookies directory in documents & settings find the NYTimes cookie file (mine's called microsoft user@nytimes[2].txt) and open it in notepad. The values are seperated by a black squares. The fiirst value after the cookie name is the value you need. Remainder of instructions above.
Fine, I've done that, but I'm mystified by what to put after the "/" in the "Path" box. All the cookies that I've looked at have one of the field separator boxes that wade refers to.

Also, how do I find the expiry date and time, if there is one (without using Mozilla)?
Old 05-06-2003, 03:23 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Usually expiration you can leave on "never" - and Path leave on "/" (without the quotes). Basically,

Name
Value
Expires (on never)
Path ("/")
Domain

are of importance.

And don't forget later to check the Send and Receive cookie entries.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:16 AM   #11
BasilC
Zealot

Thanks, Alexander. I've been trying to download individual debates on a website called www.opendemocracy.net, but when I use iSilo I'm not registered as being logged in and the hyperlinks don't work. I tried following your instructions for adding cookies. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked, but rather surprisingly it works fine with HandStory, even though there is no way of controlling cookies with HS.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:05 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Uhmm can you give an exact example (url) of what you want to download from this page?
Old 05-06-2003, 11:26 AM   #13
BasilC
Zealot

For instance, if I want to follow the series of articles on the war against terrorism/Iraq by Paul Rogers, I use the following url: http://www.opendemocracy.net/columns/view-2.jsp

I'm a registered user of the site, and have two cookies from it.

One is as follows:

SITESERVER
ID=1532487b92abed72be0d178d7a79fe8c
od2.co.uk/

the other:

SITESERVER
ID=a03f860c239d945c6dcf40153568dabb
od2.com/

I assume that SITESERVER is the name of the cookie, the sequences beginning with ID= are the values, od2.com and od2.co.uk are the domains. I'm attaching a screenshot.

I've tried four combinations: no cookies, either of these cookies on its own, or both together, but I always get the "Not Logged On message" in the iSilo file that results.

With HandStory it works fine.

I guess you would have to register with Open Democracy yourself before you could experiment.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:29 AM   #14
BasilC
Zealot

Alex, further to my last, I think I attached a screenshot file, but nothing's showing up on the forum. Maybe I've done it incorrectly. Can you advise how to send an attachment?

Cheers,

Basil
Old 05-07-2003, 02:10 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

click on "post reply". Then, under "Options" you have the "Attach file" row. There click "Search..." to browse to the file you want to upload on your harddrive. Make sure you use one of the supported file extensions (as shown there).

I am going to have a look at your site today.

Alex