Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #1
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Anyone in Seattle Area willing to show off their Kindle?

My wife has poor eyesight, but heard that the Kindle goes to 20pt font, which she may be able to read. Is there anyone in the Seattle area that has one that would be willing to give a demo? I have Monday 6/23 off, so we could come to you, or meet at a coffee shop some evening.

I have the first edition sony reader, but the font size options aren't quite good enough for her, and the kindle seems to have more content
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Talking

I hope somebody there will help you out, but meanwhile, let me say I too have vision problems. I had the Sony Reader, but even at their largest font in landscape mode, it was difficult for me to read. I could do it, but just barely.

I got the Kindle last January and believe me, it is wonderful. I'd hazard a guess that the three largest font sizes (out of six total) are all bigger than the Reader. I usually use the 20 point, but can also read the next lower with ease.

If you don't connect with somebody there who can show you one, I'd suggest you go ahead and order one, as Amazon's 30-day return policy is really no-strings. Your wife would know very quickly whether the type would be suitable. I'm betting it would be, but if not, just tell Amazon and you can ship it back.

If it turns out to be what she needs, then you won't have to wait anxiously to order one, it will be right there to start reading.

And I feel Amazon has many, many more books that Sony's store, and almost all are less expensive. Almost all are $9.99.

Good luck!
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
For the heck of it I took the a magnifying mirror the Mrs has, she uses it for..whatever and I stuck it on top of the Sony to see what happens. Was a bit too magnifying but the idea has possibilities. I envision some sort of reader addon magnifying lens
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
For the heck of it I took the a magnifying mirror the Mrs has, she uses it for..whatever and I stuck it on top of the Sony to see what happens. Was a bit too magnifying but the idea has possibilities. I envision some sort of reader addon magnifying lens
there are Fresnel lens available in Book stores for standard pbooks. I would expect them to work fine on an eBook Reader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I personally have never had any problems at all with returning stuff to Amazon.

A co-worker of mine is, not to put too fine a point on it: a frackin' Amazon addict. He orders 2 or 3 things a day, even on Sundays, no exaggeration.

We've been thinking about an intervention.

He's had them ship him three broken DVD's in a row. The first was broken, the replacement was broken, and they cheerfully shipped him a 3rd one that was broken and then given him his money back! He's returned stuff for no other reason than the color wasn't as appealing as he thought it would be and they cheerfully took it back.

Anyway, I've PM'd my contact info and if you choose wisely of the two options offered you might get to meet a Segway as well.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert