Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Jules
Enthusiast
Jules began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle formatting problems

Following a set of instructions, I have created a word document of a book that I want to submit to kindle. The formatting of the book looks great in the word document, but when we submitted it to Kindle, the formatting got screwed up. All the text is now justified left, there are weird page breaks etc. Anyone know how to keep the book from adjusting it's layout when it is submitted to kindle?
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What exactly do you mean by "submit"? Do you mean you are going to sell an ebook in the Kindle Store? If so, then you should consider getting one of Mobipocket's ebook creation tools. Create the file in html, and then make the ebook yourself.

FYI The Kindle is just another Mobi device, after all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Jules
Enthusiast

Ok. I found a "help document" online called the Guide to Publishing with Amazon's Digital Text Platform and MS Word. In this document it says to upload the word document to DTP and they convert it to html. So, I took the original pdf file of the book, coverted it to a word document, and fixed they layout etc. Then, someone else published it with DTP. But when we went to preview it, like I said before, the formatting/layout was all screwed up.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
MS Word is an html editor. You just have to save the file with a .html extension.

That said, as pointed out above it would be easier to import the word doc into MobiCreator and convert it into a PRC file.

As for issues on the layout changes, maybe someone will come along and chime in. I'm still working on converting a dictionary with not much success (taking a break for a few days from that project).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Jules
Enthusiast

I found the mobi creator software and that sounds super easy. My one question on that is that once I've created my ebook, how would I sell it on Amazon?
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I found the mobi creator software and that sounds super easy. My one question on that is that once I've created my ebook, how would I sell it on Amazon?
http://forums.digitaltextplatform.co...3&categoryID=7
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that PDF can sometimes give you one hell of a poor conversion when trying to convert to something else. It's just nasty at times. So the onyl way to sort it out is to convert the PDF and then sit there and compare the conversion with the original PDF and fix anything you find wrong. You are best off to convert the PDF to HTML. Then compare that and fix any errors. Next once that is done, fix up the HTML so you can convert that to Mobi with Mobipocket Creator.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote