Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Thanks Gwyn. I would feel a lot more comfortable with the answer if Adobe said the same thing.
We do (and I have), but I can see see how you might parse it differently from the FAQ.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:15 AM   #17
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
We do (and I have), but I can see see how you might parse it differently from the FAQ.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Thanks Jim - it is really nice having someone from Adobe here!

I am a great fan of Adobe licensed software; products like Creative Suite are expensive enough to support really great customer service. I can only imagine what it must be like to support commodity software like DRM, that affects hundreds of thousands of people, is very low cost to the end user, and puts you right between publishers, sellers, and customers. I wish you all the best.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
ara
ara began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro EZ Reader
Question Are limits consecutive? Or at a point in time?

Another question for Adobe - 6 PCs seems more than enough to read DRM ebooks at one time. But what about into the future? If my PCs are replaced, I can see the 6 PC limit decreasing - and for myself, if I buy ebooks, I'd like to know that I can read them into the future, without worrying about them "expiring" because I have replaced my PC too many times.

Have you thought about making the limit apply at one time - so that PCs can be deregistered, and new ones reregistered to replace them? While I see I can apply to Adobe to extend my limit, what boundaries are placed around that? Would be great to better understand this.
ara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #19
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
Another question for Adobe - 6 PCs seems more than enough to read DRM ebooks at one time. But what about into the future? If my PCs are replaced, I can see the 6 PC limit decreasing - and for myself, if I buy ebooks, I'd like to know that I can read them into the future, without worrying about them "expiring" because I have replaced my PC too many times.

Have you thought about making the limit apply at one time - so that PCs can be deregistered, and new ones reregistered to replace them? While I see I can apply to Adobe to extend my limit, what boundaries are placed around that? Would be great to better understand this.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68836

and

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67468

might answer some of your questions.

Others and I have mentioned before that what Adobe should do, is enable it so that we can deauthorize active computers to recover some of those activations, like Sony and Itunes do. Also, it would be less worrisome if I can also see how many activations I have left since I've in the situation where I've used up a number of activations after formatting a few of my computers.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
At this point in time, using up all your activations does not appear to be a big problem. Open a trouble ticket with Adobe and they will assign you more activations. Granted it is somewhat offensive having to ask a Great Overlord for permission to use your device, but it does work. Consider it part of the cost we pay for having legislation written by special interest groups.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do not have my 505 authorized with ADE. It's just easier to strip the DRM then it is to authorize the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #22
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
The text on the Adobe web site is: You can activate up to six computers and devices.

I read this as six activations total, any combination of PCs and devices. Where can I find the 6 + 6 limit?

Thanks!

Robert
BTW I lost this thread for awhile, but when we released ADE 1.7.2 earlier this month, we also updated the FAQ to be more explicit. It now reads
Quote:
What is the maximum number of computers and devices that I can authorize?
You can activate up to six computers and six devices . If you reach the limit, contact Customer Service to increase your allowable activations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara
Instead of allowing for deactivation, we instead automatically increase your allowance over time to account for losing/replacing/upgrading devices. If you go through your devices more quickly than we allow for, as the FAQ above indicates contacting our customer support will get this taken care of for you.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 02-26-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #23
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Hello Jim,

I have heard rumors that one ereader could be activated for two different Adobe ID's at the same time. For example by doing the activations at different PC's without deactivating the device. And then ebooks from both accounts could be read. Can that really be done?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #24
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Hello Jim,
For example by doing the activations at different PC's without deactivating the device. And then ebooks from both accounts could be read. Can that really be done?
This is unfortunately not currently possible with ADE. If the device is already authorized to a user ADE will not add an authorization, but instead be content with the authorization already on the device.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #25
lynchk
lynchk began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek Libre Pro
Increase allowance on ADE for more devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
BTW I lost this thread for awhile, but when we released ADE 1.7.2 earlier this month, we also updated the FAQ to be more explicit. It now reads

Instead of allowing for deactivation, we instead automatically increase your allowance over time to account for losing/replacing/upgrading devices. If you go through your devices more quickly than we allow for, as the FAQ above indicates contacting our customer support will get this taken care of for you.
Jim Lester can you help? I own 20 digital readers and purchased books to download to these readers (for my students). ADE tells me there are too many activations. If I try to contact adobe customer support how do I state my case in customer support? All I see are preset problem choices and nothing for my case?
lynchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchk View Post
Jim Lester can you help? I own 20 digital readers and purchased books to download to these readers (for my students). ADE tells me there are too many activations. If I try to contact adobe customer support how do I state my case in customer support? All I see are preset problem choices and nothing for my case?
lynchk had asked this (and I had answered) in the Adobe User-To-User forums . The answer is no - we will not increase activation allowances for schools to be beyond the 6 computers and 6 devices.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
lourob
lourob began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Maximum # of Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You can have 6 desktops (Windows or Mac) plus 6 dedicated reading devices, so you should be well under the limit so far.
From my recent experience I was told we are permitted by ADE up to 6 devices and this includes computers, tablets and Readers. Not 6 computers plus 6 other devices.

Be careful because it can be a bit of a pain getting # of devices changed, it may take more than one try. I was lucky yesterday to get a Rep who knew what to do.

I ran out of devices the other day and went to Customer Service and they increased my allowance from 6 to 10. Here is link to ADE CHAT help . . .

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

1. scroll down to Select Adobe Product / select Digital Editions from drop down
2. Select Using My Product or Service

then just below click on I STILL NEED HELP and this will take you to the CHAT customer service. Here they are able to increase the number of devices allowed.

Note: CHAT HELP for Digital Editions is only available Mon to Fri business hours per the west coast.
lourob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
It's a 3 year old thread. It doesn't need reviving or an answer. I'm sure they've figured it out long ago.

Try to pay attention to the dates on the question before answering. It's nice that you want to help but there's no point in answering a 3 year old question.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #29
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Jim - Thanks for the information. There's certainly nothing intuitive about that key combination! Is that information buried deep in the ADE documentation somewhere? I'm certainly glad to know that I can deauthorize my friend's device if she chooses. Having ADE registered to my account prevented her from reading library books she borrowed. Isn't DRM wonderful?

Thanks again.
SteveK
I usually attach the reader and just right click on it to auth/deauthorize etc.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote