Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Thumbs up Thanks to harryT for Thorndike!!!

Thanks to everyone who scans and uploads the books at the great MobileRead library. Super resource.

But partic thanks to HarryT. I rarely: remember my username and password, am at a computer, on the site with some time - all at the same moment, so I have been wanting to write this for a while.

Back on the detective and mystery deals thread a few month back, someone suggested the Thorndyke books, kindly scanned by Harry. So I took a look and am now addicted (so in fact, perhaps not thank you!)

I have them next to the Complete Father Brown and Heritage Conan Doyle - just perfect for an easy read, end of hard day. To be honest, I think they are the best of the three Couple of nights I couldn't put them down, so I am going into work more tired than I should be!!!
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
Couple of nights I couldn't put them down, so I am going into work more tired than I should be!!!
I think that's one measure of a good book. If you can't put it down even when you know you should it has to be a good read.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
He uploaded Moonfleet too. Highly recommended. No one is all bad
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Pangolin - thanks for the recommendation! I'd like follow up, but can't find any author named Thorndike' in the Mobileread library.
Thanks muchly.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Pangolin - thanks for the recommendation! I'd like follow up, but can't find any author named Thorndike' in the Mobileread library.
Thanks muchly.
Thorndyke isn't an author but a Character and you can find all 7 of the books that Harry T posted here:

click
Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Thanks muchly.
"Dr John Thorndyke" is the name of the character in the books. The author is R. Austin Freeman.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Victoria, sorry - wasn't thinking, and on the hop. But you have the answer from the others - sorry for any confusion!

Crich70 - absolutely I'm not sure what makes them so compulsive - they have the sentimentality of the period, but I think its the effort Freeman makes to 'ground' them in a reasonable semblance of reality that balances that and makes them a damn good read.

Anyhoo, thanks to Harry and to all the others who take the time to scan. And to the mod who moved this post.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should note that I did not scan them. I put them together from various sources; the biggest task was to proof-read them.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Pangolin
Pangolin

well, whatever you did, they are damn good! And I've a feeling that they've been saving me a bundle since recently I have not been buying late Victorian/early 20th C detective stories as I would have in the past, on the grounds that I've still volumes to munch through. Somebody or others' Hat, currently on special offer, Amazon UK - books of the month I think - is a case in point.

Currently well on the way to finishing vol 2. That mummy (Egyptology not Freud) story was thoroughly creepy.

Great stuff. I wonder why he, Freeman, isn't better known.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
Great stuff. I wonder why he, Freeman, isn't better known.
I honesty don't know - he's an author who, although enormously popular in the early decades of the 20th century, has simply faded into obscurity today. As you say, it's a great pity; I think his books are excellent.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honesty don't know - he's an author who, although enormously popular in the early decades of the 20th century, has simply faded into obscurity today. As you say, it's a great pity; I think his books are excellent.
I think it's Agatha Christie's fault in a way. She was also writing in the early part of the 20th century (and kept on doing so right til the 1970's I believe). Anyway her work is so well regarded that other writer's works perhaps are compared to her's and found wanting. That's just a guess though and I could be wrong. The only exception I can think of to that is of course Sherlock Holmes. Ask anyone to name the 3 greatest fictional detectives and they are likely to name Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Well, it's other peoples' loss. We know about him .
Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I never heard of him either.

Appears that Harry's first two volumes are public domain in the US. He died in 1943 so that indicates he's public domain in most other countries now.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, one of the authors I was looking forward to coming out of copyright here this year.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
Pangolin
Pangolin

Funny, I have now happily pottered through the first two vols and towards the end of the second there are a series of stories that don't feature the character Thorndike and they are far weaker.....(ETA - in my opinion - your mileage... etc etc)
He's back and well on form for vol three.
My father, 83, was very tickled when I told him what I was reading (our weekly phone calls usually revolve around what we are reading). He said it was popular reading in his own dad's time. I said I thought i preferred it to Conan Doyle which he likened to preferring baked beans to porridge. Ha!