Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #16
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I hope it has the fast charging cable too. I would like to see buttons added on the next paperwhite, maybe water proof as well. The comfort light feature wouldn't be something I would use, although it would be nice for those who would use it. I also hope they keep the same battery.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #17
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have absolutely no interest in colored lights.
Totally agree. They can make the light little warmer if they like, more like paper. Looks nice on KO2.

But it's not a PaperORANGE. Skip the gimmicky reddish light nonsense and just get the papery color right to begin with.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #18
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Last night I was reading and I would periodically adjust my grip. I realized that I could do that because holding Kindle with my right hand I had a huge area to use to advance a page. To go back a page, something I rarely do, required I used my other hand or radically adjust my grip.

Now, if I held my Kindle in my left hand, I could easily reach page forward territory and page back territory with my stubby thumb.

Mechanical buttons are fixed. Inflexible. I prefer tapping the screen as I do with my cell phone and my Chromebook.

USB c port with rapid charge, lighting equal to a Voyage, a case that protects the device and helps hold it, sound if that's a selling feature, and a price under $200 and I'll buy at least one. It would be nice if the PW4 in it's case would slip into a lower pocket on my Guayabera shirt or a side pocket on my baggy nylon pants as does the PW3 but that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Right now I have multiple PW3 devices and will happily keep using them till they die if I must.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-13-2018 at 04:01 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Last night I was reading and I would periodically adjust my grip. I realized that I could do that because holding Kindle with my right hand I had a huge area to use to advance a page. To go back a page, something I rarely do, required I used my other hand or radically adjust my grip.

Now, if I held my Kindle in my left hand, I could easily reach page forward territory and page back territory with my stubby thumb.

Mechanical buttons are fixed. Inflexible. I prefer tapping the screen as I do with my cell phone and my Chromebook.

USB c port with rapid charge, lighting equal to a Voyage, a case that protects the device and helps hold it, sound if that's a selling feature, and a price under $200 and I'll buy at least one. Right now I have multiple PW3 devices and will happily keep using them till they die if I must.
Honestly, this is one the reasons I find reading on my smartphones/tablets easier. Customizable controls. Tap zone is divided in two areas, small area on top for menu and the rest of the display is dedicated to next page. If I need to go previous page, I just swipe. I had the same setup on my Sony PRS-350 with PRS+ firmware. I have short stubby fingers so sometimes, I'd accidentally tap on the previous page zone instead of next page on the PW3.

I don't have hands-on experience with the Voyage but I think I would like the page turn sensor implementation on both left and right sides of the display.

Rapid charging = more heat and will likely kill the battery much sooner. Besides, I remember measuring the power draw of the PW3 and it only charges at 2.5W. Even if they stick to regular microUSB, they can increase that up to 12W (again, with the caveat that the battery will likely deteriorate more quickly).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #20
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I so very much miss the days when updates to the readers really were radical improvements (going from a 2.0 to a 3.0) rather than slight improvements (2.0 to 2.5).

I think the prevalence of tablets has really killed the eReader innovation.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #21
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I was worried about heat with rapid charging but it isn't there with my phone, a Pixel 2, or with my Chromebook, an Asus C302. I check both the charging block and the phone for heat and there is no increase. It's not unusual that I use my Pixel while it charges. Plus, if I were concerned, I would use a cheaper charging device and do painfully slow charging. USB c is superior on other counts besides rapid charging but most don't apply to Kindle. File transfer is faster. I'm no engineer or geek but I like USB c.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I so very much miss the days when updates to the readers really were radical improvements (going from a 2.0 to a 3.0) rather than slight improvements (2.0 to 2.5).

I think the prevalence of tablets has really killed the eReader innovation.
In fairness, there's really not much innovation going on in terms of smartphones and tablets either. Both are fairly mature product lines at this point.

If not for battery deterioration and wear and tear (for the phone especially), I expect there'd be much fewer folks upgrading their mobile devices.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote