Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #31
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Hey! Let's try to preserve this thread for the Yotaphone news?
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:54 AM   #32
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
I noticed a YouTube video which linked to a German site to buy it. The site is cect-shop.com. It is 533 euros! If anyone is rich enough to buy it, please make a video using the Eink screen for extended periods! Thanks.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 12-22-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:49 AM   #33
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
I noticed a YouTube video which linked to a German site to buy it. The site is cect-shop.com. It is 533 euros! If anyone is rich enough to buy it, please make a video using the Eink screen for extended periods! Thanks.
Unfortunately I was right about the price (see my post #10 above), despite news of a much lower price before it launched. It's a niche device with special hw+sw and low volumes, expecting bargain prices was unrealistic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #34
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I can't tell you what the best decision is for your situation, but I plan to keep using my Yota 2 for another year or so, and then buy the Yota 3. I would be surprised if it was much cheaper than the Yota 2 at launch (probably a bit cheaper, like 5-600 USD). In a year the prices should start coming down a bit, and make it even better value.

Should you buy the Yotaphone 2 at this point? I think that depends on the price that you can get. It used to sell for as little as 120 USD on Aliexpress, I bought mine for 150. At that price, it was an absolute bargain. You can't even get a phone with the same specs (2GB RAM, full HD Amoled screen, Android 6) WITHOUT a second screen in Europe for that price. But now I can't find it on Aliexpress anymore, and it's selling for around 300 on Ebay, which is less of a bargain. So I think the decision depends on a) your budget, b) whether you need a larger screen, c) whether you need the latest specs. One possible (low-cost) strategy would be to buy the Yota 2, to use it for 2 years or so, and then sell it and buy the Yota 3 at a similarly low price.

I, for one, am very, very happy with the Yota 2. It still does everything I need (I would call myself a power user), and the e-ink screen is a pleasure to use outside, whether for reading, navigation, and everything else you can't do on a backlit screen when the sun is out.
I recently got a waterproof case (see photo) to use the phone on my bicycle (bike computer, navigation, music player), and the e-ink screen works perfectly for this.
Some yota2’s have a screen fault, where lines develop across the eink screen, making the phone a potentially costly investment to buy a discontinued model. As I’ve said elsewhere I will perhaps save for the yotaphone 3. I like the way I can watch in a2 on videos, and scroll in web browser and PDF’s without the screen refreshing, unlike ereaders.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #35
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Any sellers in North America?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:32 AM   #36
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone have a yotaphone 3? As far as I can tell, no english user has been successful in enabling mirroring/general android app access for the eink screen on the yotaphone 3; it's limited to the chinese ereader app. What's going on?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #37
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
Quote:
Actually Yotaphone 3 is not that expensive. The current price is around 450 US dollars.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #38
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Does anyone have a yotaphone 3? As far as I can tell, no english user has been successful in enabling mirroring/general android app access for the eink screen on the yotaphone 3; it's limited to the chinese ereader app. What's going on?
The following link shows one of the ways to enable mirror mode: https://www.reddit.com/r/YotaPhone/c...de_on_chinese/

Some people on the Chinese forums have designed the apps for open apps directly in eink screen. Kind of like the app shortcut in yotaphone 2.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #39
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Thanks for this.

Quote:
The YOTA3 mobile phone can […] project all functions of the front screen to the back panel.

Let me show you the steps:

Step 1: Enter "*#*#9738#*#*" on dialpad
Step 2: Click on the "Mirror" mode test.
Well that was easy. Hopefully some people will try it soon.

Quote:
Regarding would the mode present in international edition, I guess it depend on how they view the international market. They have previously stated that disabling mirror node is a design choice aimed at providing better user experience in a way that make developers integrate support for such a mode into their apps instead of relying on mirroring.
I can’t understand these decisions.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 03-23-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #40
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
This is very disappointing. As a former Yotaphone 2 owner/enthusiast, I was considering buying the Yota 3 for my son, who is an avid reader. I was put off by the high price and decided to order a Hisense A2 instead. The software is not without some bugs and quirks, but it is perfectly usable and can mirror the screen, for half the price of the Yota 3. (It also gives my son some serious street cred among his Iphone-toting friends &#128515. If I hadn't received an S8 from my employer, I would be using the Hisense A2 Pro myself.

Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #41
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
I was put off by the high price and decided to order a Hisense A2 instead.
High price, yes. I hope it comes down. Like the last one.

Quote:
The software is not without some bugs and quirks, but it is perfectly usable and can mirror the screen, for half the price of the Yota 3.
Some users report that the eink screen flashes black often, which I think would spoil the android experience a bit for me. But for reading, great.

Quote:
It also gives my son some serious street cred among his Iphone-toting friends
Well that is a bonus.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #42
pata
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_F View Post
Actually Yotaphone 3 is not that expensive. The current price is around 450 US dollars.
Which seller has it for 450 USD?

Quote:
High price, yes. I hope it comes down. Like the last one.
At what price would you buy it?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #43
JS_F
Connoisseur

Quote:
Which seller has it for 450 USD?

Well, it's the price on JD.com, kind of the Chinese Amazon. It actually supports international shipping but it's primarily focus is the Chinese market.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #44
JS_F
Connoisseur

Quote:
This is very disappointing. As a former Yotaphone 2 owner/enthusiast, I was considering buying the Yota 3 for my son, who is an avid reader. I was put off by the high price and decided to order a Hisense A2 instead. The software is not without some bugs and quirks, but it is perfectly usable and can mirror the screen, for half the price of the Yota 3. (It also gives my son some serious street cred among his Iphone-toting friends &#128515. If I hadn't received an S8 from my employer, I would be using the Hisense A2 Pro myself.

Maybe you can try Hisense A2 Pro, much better hardware compared to A2.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #45
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
At what price would you buy it?
I bought the Yotaphone 2 for £200 in 2017, 3 years after its release. So I would probably not want to spend more than that. The Onyx Note looks like a better choice now, has a quad core cpu and 10.3 inch screen. Unless you like Yota’s features like the dual screen. I personally like the Yotaphone for its cellular connectivity and portability, but it’s not the only fast eink android device anymore.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 04-04-2018 at 03:17 PM.