Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #31
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Well the buzz kill for me on the device is the lack of a suspend/resume mode.

The only thing prying the Sony Reader out of my fingers is something that matches the Sony for suspend/resume speed.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #32
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@Scotty1024

The STAReBOOK should be able to do suspend/resume no problem. I assume it does something like that between pageturns anyway becaseu I just leave it on at all times and the battery is still not empty which would sugggest that the powersaving must use something along those lines.
Maybe they can still improve on that and give the user an option to blank the screen after a set period of time and go into deep-sleep without making it neccessary to reboot.

If you would like ot offer your help developing a PDF viewer for the STAReBOOK you might want to contact Staretek directly. They are a lot more responsive than iRex I think, but I'm not sure how they think about releasing their sources and stuff...but since their device runs on Linux it should be easy to adapt one or several of your apps for the device. Why don't you just contact them? I'll PM my contact addresses to you.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #33
yunhaid
Enthusiast
yunhaid doesn't litteryunhaid doesn't litter

i have contacted the starebook company , and asked them to open their sdk for i want to develop the pdf viewer on starebook, but they reject me, so i have to develop the pdftojpg program on pc.it's why the pdftojpg born reason.
maybe you can persuade them to open their SDK.
yunhaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 AM   #34
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

@Scotty1024

I talked to the Staretek guys and they said they would like to evaluatel your PDf viewer and would "warmly welcome you to contact them".

So feel free to do so, I've sent their contact info your way.

If you decide to join in and help them along with additional viewers, we might just have the ideal device here for those of us who sre looking for a "reading only" solution.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 AM   #35
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunhaid
... maybe you can persuade them to open their SDK.
We might be unable to persuade them to publish their SDK, but as far as I understand they have build their system on Linux. So they have to publish full source codes for all software under GPL licence they are distributing. Including their patches and all information necessary for building the SW. And at least the Linux kernel they use is under GPL. I also think they use lots of other GNU utilities. Like busybox, and many other esential pieces of SW.

They might have developed some programs from the scratch - like the program used for displaying the text. I do not think that a GNU utility could make line wrapping in .sdk files in such a stupid way ;-)

When you purchase the STAReBOOK reader you can demand the source for GPL-ed software on their device. And they have to provide the source to you. They might ask for a reasonable handling fee (cost of media, burning itself, postage, ...) but they can't ask the money for the code itself. And once you have the source, You can do anything with it - according the GPL.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #36
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
The reason for wrapping the file in a RAr archive was that mobileread.com does not allow posting of .avi attachments.
Sorry about that. It does now!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 AM   #37
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
When you purchase the STAReBOOK reader you can demand the source for GPL-ed software on their device. And they have to provide the source to you. They might ask for a reasonable handling fee (cost of media, burning itself, postage, ...) but they can't ask the money for the code itself. And once you have the source, You can do anything with it - according the GPL.
They wouldn't be the first company to ignore our demands to publish the Linux sources.

Even Sony, who released the sources, didn't take GPL serious, or they would have made it possible for us to recompile and reflash the firmware.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #38
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

So far I haven't got a reply on the source-code question, but they seem to at least be considering it since I did not get an "ignore" or a "no" but received a reply to my other question (concerning Scotty) and a "I will reply to your other questions in another mail".

So maybe there is hope that this will go slightly better than the iRex deal did...:-)
I hope Scotty will contact them and they can get some kind of deal going so that we get more than .stk files on the device.

I must really say again that the device works great, something I had not really expected, and the only thing holding it back right now is the lack of a proper file-format (be that improved .stk or pdf, rtf and others)
Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #39
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

Thanks commander. I would agree: I brought the derevice in HOng KOng and have been used for a week. So far, I would say I like this dervice for "reading only" due to the "long lasting" power (compare with my ilad) but I would love to have pdf or htlm format as well!!! Of course, I like my ilad as well for other functions but I won't use it for reading during my trip!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #40
Rosethorn1403
Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
hmmm

Having discovered this thread, I nearly jumped for joy at the idea of my perfect ereader, however the format problem kills it for me, i am wondering how its going to compare to the elusive upcoming astaks?
Rosethorn1403 is offline   Reply With Quote