Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #31
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you're referring to clips, you already can select keyboard shortcuts for the first 20 clips, which should be sufficient for most users. There's also a Clip Bar toolbar, which is hidden by default.
Speaking of Clip Bar... It has a display limit of 20 clips. On larger monitors that leaves a lot of unused space. Is it a trivial matter to allow more clips to be displayed on that bar??

I understand that there is a clips window that will display all clips, but that is in a vertical presentation, and I'd prefer the horizontal clips bar for landscape utilization reasons.

This is certainly not a priority - just a minor request if it isn't a difficult thing to implement.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #32
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Just like the plugin bar being split into two pieces of 5 each, I will look into adding a second clips bar with more slots that can be controlled via the View menu.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #33
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool, thanks!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:48 AM   #34
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Three or four posts on the subject and you're worn out? Wow! Sorry to bother you with requests for details in trying to ascertain the best way forward. We'll just jump to conclusions next time. If you have no interest in helping to work toward a solution with the latest version of Sigil, feel free to drop back to a version of Sigil that already works the way you want it to.
Ok. thats enouigh now. Sigil is altering a file in a way which is more worse than before. Altering to a location on the harddrive is bullshit. Changing the protocol prefix to fixme is bullshit.

As there is no intelligent life in this forum, can you just disable my account? Or tell me how to do that, It seems to me that there are only idiots around here. Is that enough of a reason?

Its completly waste of time how simple bullshit can result in a discussion about it.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
As there is no intelligent life in this forum, can you just disable my account? Or tell me how to do that, It seems to me that there are only idiots around here. Is that enough of a reason?
Absolutely. Goodbye.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #36
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You also might want to think about being a bit more respectful to everyone, especially those trying to help. But that takes maturity and emotional balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
Ok. thats enouigh now. Sigil is altering a file in a way which is more worse than before. Altering to a location on the harddrive is bullshit. Changing the protocol prefix to fixme is bullshit.

Its completly waste of time how simple bullshit can result in a discussion about it.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-15-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #37
KevinH
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Cool, thanks!
Just pushed initial support for this to master. I do not even have 20 clips to test it with so further changes may be needed. It might be nice to put the auto generated CSS selectors into this second clips toolbar as a way to more easily assign classes and organize things.

People can of course hide this (empty on my machine now) toolbar.

If anyone has a clips external saved file that has more than 20 clips they would be willing to share, please let me know via pm and I will test with it.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #38
KevinH
Wizard

FYI, we have found a way to fix this without messing all of the existing code up.
so this change will appear in the next release.

Quote:
Just so. The html file I was importing was a standard template file built under the old system when I knew that the associated image was going to be placed in ../Images/ I hadn't even thought about it automatically grabbing the image when I added the html, I just added them at the same time. When I tried adding just the html it changed the reference to the totally wrong desktop folder.

I can easily fix this - I think - by changing the reference in the template html to just: src="example.png" When the html file is imported it will find the image file and drag it in as well. Then it should update the reference automatically to "../Images/example.png".

As for the changing broken links on add...I wouldn't think they should be changed at all. If it is broken, leave it broken. You could just have a message pop-up mentioning broken links and the user could run a report to find and fix any at their leisure.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #39
Mister L
Connoisseur
Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Just pushed initial support for this to master. I do not even have 20 clips to test it with so further changes may be needed. It might be nice to put the auto generated CSS selectors into this second clips toolbar as a way to more easily assign classes and organize things.

People can of course hide this (empty on my machine now) toolbar.

If anyone has a clips external saved file that has more than 20 clips they would be willing to share, please let me know via pm and I will test with it.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
I am pleased about this as well. If you would like a large clips file I can send you mine.

On that note, as far as I know it is only possible to paste clips into xhtml files (not css files). Could this be changed easily? I have a basic css stylesheet that I was importing but then thought it would be nice to be able to just insert it as a clip... currently the only way to do that is to paste it into an html file then cut and paste that into the css file. If it's complicated I can just keep doing that or importing it so no worries but it would be nice to be able to past css clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FYI, we have found a way to fix this without messing all of the existing code up.
so this change will appear in the next release.
Excellent, very glad to hear this as I came here looking for info about this after experiencing it today. Any idea when the next release will be published? I think there are several features in it I'm looking forward to.

For what it's worth, I also very regularly add existing files to a new book, either templates or for other reasons... Today I'm splitting a book into 2 parts, some of the pages are basically the same in both tomes (title page, copyright, author bio, bibliography...) so I updated them as necessary in one tome, "saved as" to my work folder then imported them into the second tome... there were no images but the css file links were all borked because I had not yet added the stylesheet. :/

It seems that several of us have a workflow of importing templates or pages which are frequently used (for one client I have a "publisher" page which never changes so I just import the file directly along with the various images in it), it seems like it could be useful to have an explicit option to "import file as-is" with no modifications including to links; if we use that option, presumably we know what we're doing and if we don't and bork something, well, it's our own fault. I'm still using the classic Sigil file structure so maybe this wouldn't have been too much of an issue but the file I'm splitting today was originally made by someone else who doesn't use my naming conventions, thus the problems.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #40
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
... as far as I know it is only possible to paste clips into xhtml files (not css files). Could this be changed easily? I have a basic css stylesheet that I was importing but then thought it would be nice to be able to just insert it as a clip... currently the only way to do that is to paste it into an html file then cut and paste that into the css file. If it's complicated I can just keep doing that or importing it so no worries but it would be nice to be able to past css clips ...
I insert clips into my .css file all the time. How are you trying to do it that it fails?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #41
Mister L
Connoisseur
Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.Mister L is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I insert clips into my .css file all the time. How are you trying to do it that it fails?
Really?? I click in the css file where I want to paste the clip then click on the clip and nothing happens. Just tried it again to be sure, still doesn't work. How do you do it?

edit:
OOOh!! okay, I figured it out, if you do right click => clips, then it works. Thanks!! Can't believe I never figured that out sooner.

edit 2:
It actually still would be nice to be able to add the clip from the clip editor, my list of clips is *long* and it can be easier to just find the right one in there rather than the contextual menu flyout.

Last edited by Mister L; 01-17-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #42
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
... OOOh!! okay, I figured it out, if you do right click => clips, then it works. Thanks!! Can't believe I never figured that out sooner.

edit 2:
It actually still would be nice to be able to add the clip from the clip editor, my list of clips is *long* and it can be easier to just find the right one in there rather than the contextual menu flyout.
All these methods work for me:
  • select clip from clip editor then hit "Paste Clip" button
  • click on clip from clip bar
  • right-click > clips
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #43
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
  • right-click > clips
Yes, these all work for me as well. The Clip bar is by far the easiest...just click where you want it (or highlight the text you want to effect) then click the clip in the clip bar!

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-17-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #44
Mister L
Connoisseur

Quote:
  • right-click > clips
Quote:
Yes, these all work for me as well. The Clip bar is by far the easiest...just click where you want it (or highlight the text you want to effect) then click the clip in the clip bar!
Okay, I've just tested the list from odamizu and yes, all those methods work for me as well, so this is great news. When we have the new 20-clip bar I will move my css stylesheet there to easily access it (currently it's full of other clips I use more frequently).

What (still) does not work, and what is my habitual method of using clips in html, is clicking on the name of the clip in the clips panel (I always have this docked in the lower left corner under the book browser), although it works perfectly in html. It never even occurred to me to try a different method as I just supposed that if it didn't work there it wouldn't work anywhere else, and clips were html-only. So, thanks for the excellent tip!

Now I'm curious, is it deliberate that it doesn't work from the clips panel? Or am I the only person who uses that so nobody else noticed it doesn't work? (or, does that method work for everybody else but not for me? )

Last edited by Mister L; 01-17-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #45
KevinH
Wizard

When using the Clips window QDockWidget it has focus so the code needs to guess where you want to paste into since nothing else has cursor focus at that time. So it guesses you want the main codeview window if you are currently have an html code tab (FlowTab) open there (as opposed to looking at image tabs, or content.opf, or the ncx, or audio tabs, or video tabs, or javascript, ... etc).

I can extend that guess to allow both CSSTabs and Flow(html) tabs. I will look into doing that.