Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
random guy
random guy began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
pdf chapter titles missing

when importing a pdf file of a book into Calibre the titles of each chapters are missing even before converting it. the titles do appear in the ToC after converting but that is not what I want. I've tried everything within Calibre to make them come back but without succes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	39
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	176151  
random guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
My advice is to never convert pdfs. If you examine your converted result closely I suspect that you will find many more strange errors.

It is possible that the chapter titles is not text but some form of vector graphics. And not possible to convert to text.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
As you will hear TIME and AGAIN.

PDF is a terrible source.

Was that original chapter title box an IMAGE? it could land anywhere on the page during conversion.

Since you know codeview. Look in the Images grouping of the file browser. are your missing titles there? Then the above applis and all you need to do is find the code and move it to where it VISUALLY belongs

FWIW I had a similar issue when I firs came upon Calibre - MR. I learned (fast)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
random guy
random guy began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
the titles do get converted but for some reason they end up only at the end of the pdf as ToC, they are clickable and send me to the right page, and after converting it and using the scrollbar it says the right title at the right place. but for some reason there is no title to be seen after every new chapter. is there a way to make the titles appear or is typing every chapter manually the only way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled..png
Views:	14
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	176181  
random guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The best way is to not convert. Use a device that can handle the PDF as is. Or get the book in some other format that is better for conversion. In other words any format other than paper and PDF.

It is possible that retyping the whole book would be faster and less error prone than converting from PDF. And give a much better end result.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert