Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
HLS
Groupie
HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
Finally caved in

And got me a Libra in white for Christmas for myself and the rose case. Now I was worried I was wasting money. I now get why people like it. I honestly did not think it could be better than my 6.8 H20 but it is noticeably faster and looks really sharp. Like it more than my kindle oasis actually and I was impressed it charged super fast. It charged 10x faster than my other kobos. I can not wait to finish my current ebooks so I can start reading on this
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW2, PW4, Clara HD
congrats. glad you're happy with it!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
I connected my Libra to my PC today to load some new books. I hadn't done that in a while. I was pleasantly surprised by the USB connection not being wonky anymore. The Libra used to connect slowly and sometimes needed more than one try, it also disconnected from the slightest brush against the cord or the device. No such problems now. The connection was as stable as that of my Kindles. I think it was something that was fixed in the 4.18, as I don't have the 4.19 yet.

I love my Libra.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I connected my Libra to my PC today to load some new books. I hadn't done that in a while. I was pleasantly surprised by the USB connection not being wonky anymore. The Libra used to connect slowly and sometimes needed more than one try, it also disconnected from the slightest brush against the cord or the device. No such problems now. The connection was as stable as that of my Kindles. I think it was something that was fixed in the 4.18, as I don't have the 4.19 yet.

I love my Libra.
After using both 4.18 and 4.19, I highly suggest you install 4.19.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
HLS
Groupie
HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.

I am going to install some books on it and fonts. i love it. I am reading 2 books on my nook as soon as i finish them im gonna read on my libra
Advert
Old 01-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
HLS
Groupie

After about two weeks I must say this is my favorite e-reader. Charges faster than the other KOBOs ( no idea why) and it just feels so good in the hands. I love it much better than the Kindle Oasis. The battery life is 10x better than the Oasis. I do not quite get why Amazon can not create an e-reader with great battery life when KOBO seems to have it all worked out

I find I am transferring many of my kindle books to it for its so nice to read on.

Winner winner chicken dinner! So glad Walmart sells kobos. Such an easy order process and pick up at the store. Shipping and pickup is usually 2 days max.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i really like my libra, but cant help wondering if i would have liked a forma even more

my daughter lent me her overdrive library card so I could try out that functionality and its very slick
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
koboyedi
koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i really like my libra, but cant help wondering if i would have liked a forma even more
I'm asking myself the same question. I currently have both and wonder which one to return (price doesn't matter).

What I like more about the Libra vs. the Forma:
  • how text looks on screen. hard to describe but it looks as if text on the libra is printed on the screen compared to being under the screen on the Forma. it's not a huge difference but noticeable if you look for it (especially at angles)
  • perfect size to hold in your hand
  • page buttons in relation to size easier to reach (for me)
  • power button position
  • no soft rubber handle (= not sticky)
  • screen evenly lit
  • no screen flickering

There is really not much in favour of the Forma except reading just feels so much better on the bigger screen. Surprisingly it even feels lighter in your hand, maybe because its thinner and the weight is distributed more towards your palm.

As of now I'm still not sure which one to keep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	two.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	176334  
koboyedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #9
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboyedi View Post
I'm asking myself the same question. I currently have both and wonder which one to return (price doesn't matter).

What I like more about the Libra vs. the Forma:
  • how text looks on screen. hard to describe but it looks as if text on the libra is printed on the screen compared to being under the screen on the Forma. it's not a huge difference but noticeable if you look for it (especially at angles)
  • perfect size to hold in your hand
  • page buttons in relation to size easier to reach (for me)
  • power button position
  • no soft rubber handle (= not sticky)
  • screen evenly lit
  • no screen flickering

There is really not much in favour of the Forma except reading just feels so much better on the bigger screen. Surprisingly it even feels lighter in your hand, maybe because its thinner and the weight is distributed more towards your palm.

As of now I'm still not sure which one to keep.
the Forma does have the advantage of having a plastic substrate which is far more durable than the relatively fragile glass substrate's on other ereader's including the Libra.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would keep the Libra, unless the larger screen is absolutely necessary for you.

Personally I find the 7.8'' screen of my Nook a bit too big. 7'' is the sweet spot for me.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if actual market research was done on hand size and device size or if someone said let's go with a range of 6, 7 and 8 inch as that will be easy to describe?

I don't have large hands, it's more an eyesight thing for me when choosing a size, I wonder is there any correlation between people with larger hands preferng a larger device, and those with smaller preferring smaller?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Possibly. When I got an Aura H2O, I found it a bit bulky and quickly got a Glo HD. But, loved the Aura ONE and Forma. Now, the Libra H2O is good, but, I find myself using the Clara HD just as much as it.

I think it is that while the 6.8" and 7" screens are bigger, that doesn't make up for the extra bulk. But, the 7.8"/8" gives me enough extra screen real estate that it is feels good.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard

wondering some more about the screen size effect - a quick calc using screen area suggests I'd see 30% more words per screen on 8 inch forma compared with 7 inch libra, or to put it another way 30% less page turns per book. is that about right ? or would a change in screen size normally lead to a change in preferred font size, either increasing or decreasing the % difference ( I am not sure which)
Old 01-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #14
koboyedi
koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo forma
Quote:
I'd see 30% more words per screen on 8 inch forma compared with 7 inch libra, or to put it another way 30% less page turns per book. is that about right ? or would a change in screen size normally lead to a change in preferred font size, either increasing or decreasing the % difference ( I am not sure which)
I think the Forma and Libra both have sufficient space to set your desired max font size. While I use the same font size on both Libra and Forma, I use a much smaller font on the Clara, this also feels more natural. Since the Forma is large enough you have the luxury to increase the margins by quite a lot, which makes for a nicer reading experience. But even with wider margins you still have somewhere between 15-20% more text.

Now that I've customised everything to my liking and spend more time reading on the Forma I find going back to the Libra limiting my reading flow. I can honestly say that using the Forma has ruined the fun for me on the Libra. So I now decided to keep the Forma (and the Clara for on the go) and return the Libra. Although, strictly technically speaking, I think the Libra is the better device. Still, the huge screen is just so much nicer to read on.
koboyedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #15
Sirtel
Wizard

Funny how people prefer different sizes. I don't want to read on a 6'' screen anymore since I experienced a 7'' one. But after having tried a 7.8'' screen, I found that I actually prefer the 7'' screen. Others' experiences are the total opposites to mine - there have been lots of comments about the bigger always being the better, but also about there being not that much difference between 6'' and 7''. Both of those are simply not true for me personally.