Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Quite a few, but they are all organic, free range electrons.
That makes monkey happy
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Kobo Libra because the Forma costs about €100 and the Libra was €40 cheaper than my original Aura H2O and better.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Kobo Libra because the Forma costs about €100 and the Libra was €40 cheaper than my original Aura H2O and better.
I don't care about the offset design and don't want the larger screen. But I would love a Kobo with color changing frontlight and waterproofing. I keep hoping that will be the Clara 2.

People often say they don't care about waterproofing and I wonder: am I the only one that likes to occasionally read in the tub? I have to switch back and forth between my Clara and my 2015 Glowlight Plus for just that reason.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I don't care about the offset design and don't want the larger screen. But I would love a Kobo with color changing frontlight and waterproofing. I keep hoping that will be the Clara 2.

People often say they don't care about waterproofing and I wonder: am I the only one that likes to occasionally read in the tub? I have to switch back and forth between my Clara and my 2015 Glowlight Plus for just that reason.
Heh, I never read in the tub. Can't concentrate, with the cats scratching and meowing behind the door (how dare I close it?) So I generally just wash myself in a hurry.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Heh, I never read in the tub. Can't concentrate, with the cats scratching and meowing behind the door (how dare I close it?) So I generally just wash myself in a hurry.
I've learned that closing both the bathroom door and bedroom door muffles their whining
Advert
Old 12-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #21
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Hm, I don't have a tub. Got a decent shower stall instead when I realized I've never used the tub in my old flat. And I'd lived there for nearly a decade. It's been 19 years without a tub now and I can say I really don't regret it.

So waterproof is not very high on my list.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #22
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Hm, I don't have a tub. Got a decent shower stall instead when I realized I've never used the tub in my old flat. And I'd lived there for nearly a decade. It's been 19 years without a tub now and I can say I really don't regret it.

So waterproof is not very high on my list.
I do use our bathtub occasionally, but only for muscle relaxant, therapeutic kind of soaks. The idea of holding something, anything, while trying to have a soothing, relaxing bath does not fit with me. So I too am not one who cares about waterproofing.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I do use our bathtub occasionally, but only for muscle relaxant, therapeutic kind of soaks. The idea of holding something, anything, while trying to have a soothing, relaxing bath does not fit with me. So I too am not one who cares about waterproofing.

Me too. I have a Jacuzzi tub and use very seldom, but when I do, I don’t want to try to read while enjoying it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #24
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Motorola "Moto G7" smartphone

Wyze camera, motion sensor, door sensor

AliveCor "KardiaMobile" portable ECG recorder

Walker's "Razor Slim" hearing protectors

Amazon "Echo Dot"
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
...The idea of holding something, anything, while trying to have a soothing, relaxing bath does not fit with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
I have a Jacuzzi tub... I don’t want to try to read while enjoying it.
You guys must read more exciting books than I do
Old 12-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #26
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:

I bought the newest kindle last spring just so I could read in the tub during summer heat / humidity waves. It’s been the only way too cool off the last few years, and I resented the interruptions to reading. It’s been great, and is my favourite gadget of 2019.

Last edited by Victoria; 12-21-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Only two gadgets this year.

A S10+ (512GB, white ceramic back) for wife. I guess it works just fine like the old one, didn't see any need to upgrade mine. We both had S8+ before, I still do.

New watch for me. Surely, who needs a watch to tell time, anymore. But alas, I still don't use my phone to tell time very often. I am catching myself looking away from my phone when I am on it and turning my wrist. How inconvenient as sometimes it involves putting down the phone and pulling up a sleeve. Old habits die hard. Also less than a fifth of the price of the phone - got on Black Friday. Like it much more than I would a new phone.

For anyone interested, it is a Citizen AT4010-50E. It is quartz, but I never really did understand (still don't) the need for a mechanical watch that requires maintenance and still cannot keep time accurately. But then I am sure there is many that aren't willing to spend more than $30 on a watch. The one thing I am still waiting for is the price and size of GPS synched watches to come down. Current models are simply too big for my small wrists. Even though, the radio signal from Colorado works reliably enough from my home.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I was a child the last time I used a bathtub. I much prefer showering. It is faster which leaves more time for reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #29
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
...New watch for me...
...For anyone interested, it is a Citizen AT4010-50E. It is quartz, but I never really did understand (still don't) the need for a mechanical watch that requires maintenance and still cannot keep time accurately...
And with Eco-drive no need for battery replacements every few years either . I've had a Citizen Eco-drive watch for approaching 15 years now and it has never been opened nor missed a beat.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #30
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is quartz, but I never really did understand (still don't) the need for a mechanical watch that requires maintenance and still cannot keep time accurately.
I think it's nostalgia mostly. And appreciation of fine machinery. A mechanical watch simply cannot keep up with a quartz watch for accuracy however. Quartz is nice too, because if it's not right on the money the rate of time drift is very predictable. This is not generally true for a mechanical watch, and it will cost you a decent amount of money to obtain one that has a predictable rate of losing/gaining time. Predictable time drift is extremely important in celestial navigation (although about as many people still navigate like that as use mechanical watches).

I was looking to buy myself a nice watch a while back, but in the meantime I bought myself a cheap Casio to get me by while I shopped around for a "real" watch. But that cheap little Casio ($15!) grew on me, because it is spot on. I set it at the last Daylight Savings Time switch (Nov 3rd) and today (Dec 20th) it is exactly one second fast. I am not going to complain about that accuracy out of a $15 watch! The thing is 100% plastic, with a cheap crystal that will scratch on you, but it certainly keeps time well.

Oh, I see my watch is up to $20 on Amazon now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JVP0LE...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I still intend to buy me a much higher end watch some day, but I'm pretty sure whatever I buy will be a step down in accuracy compared to this inexpensive Casio. Price does not get you better accuracy these days...

Last edited by haertig; 12-21-2019 at 04:33 PM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote