Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 32gb and any light it displays in the dark sends me to sleep quicker than pills.
Is it the light or your choice in reading material?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #17
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
Is it obvious though. People are sometimes misinformed. Look at the politics in the us. Or award winners, be it Nobel, Pulitzer, or Hugo.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #18
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is it the light or your choice in reading material?
Lol! It's probably my eyes and my brain.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #19
Tomk2
Zealot
Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.Tomk2 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: none
I need a reader with high intensity blue super daylight lights, so I dont fall asleep before finishing the chapter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I can fall asleep anytime anyplace anywhere. The settings on my ereader make little difference, especially in winter when I seem to want to hibernate.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #21
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
As an insomniac, I'll take any help I can get when it comes to sleep.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #22
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If I try to read in bed, after only a few minutes I go down like a submarine with a screen door. I don't care if the light is blue, yellow, red (of off). My biggest problem is avoiding dropping the Kindle on my face.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #23
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Anecdotally, light intensity interferes may interfere with your sleep more than any given colour.
I find a textbook on a subject that I have no interest in an effective soporific.

Link to actual article referenced
Current Biology, v29, i29, Dec 16, 2019
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #24
crane3
Evangelist
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I need to put in a word in that one's eyesight need to be taken into account about lighting. For my self, my correction was at -14 dioptics & I have to use a 250 watt daylight lamp to read comfortably. The soft white lighting is too dim & makes me sleepy because of eye strain. The orange light on a tablet/ereader also cause a some eye strain.

I don't think that any "studies" consider what/how a person's eyesight also make a difference of reading comfortably. I do have all "daylight" bulbs in my home so I can see better.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #25
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Note 2, Samsung S5(use as reader) Samsung Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
You sound fairly confident of that though.How come?
There is no profit in studying common sense. It's only profitable if sellers can convince the gullible that their wacked out science=BS is what is true.

Then those gullible convince more gullible and suddenly it's the truth, then they proceed to tell their truth on forums like this and chaos ensues!

I like the way you keep it real Barry!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #26
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Note 2, Samsung S5(use as reader) Samsung Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
I need to put in a word in that one's eyesight need to be taken into account about lighting. For my self, my correction was at -14 dioptics & I have to use a 250 watt daylight lamp to read comfortably. The soft white lighting is too dim & makes me sleepy because of eye strain. The orange light on a tablet/ereader also cause a some eye strain.

I don't think that any "studies" consider what/how a person's eyesight also make a difference of reading comfortably. I do have all "daylight" bulbs in my home so I can see better.
THIS 100%!!!! This is what it really comes down to. It is easier to believe made up BS about this that or the other when it comes to back light, front light, no light etc. When all it really boils down to is what is truly physically going on with one's aging eyes, changing eyes and utilizing common sense.

People would rather live in denial that we are not designed to see/read/drive in the dark w/o putting a great deal of strain on our eyes and in some instances lives, or that fact that maybe, just maybe you need to take yourself to an eye doctor and get some damn glasses!

Thank you Crane for also keepin it real!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #27
HLS
Groupie
HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't have an opinion on the science behind whether white/blue or yellow light is better for you at night. I don't think either has much of an impact.

But what I will say is that the amber light on a reader is less glaring when reading in a completely darkened room. I noticed it when I was reading on a Kobo Aura (white/blue) but the better half was reading on a Glowlight 3 (amber).

Having said that, I don't use Night Light, Night Shift or f.lux on any of my tablets or computers.
Yes! it is less glaring. It is still easier on the eyes at night to use the orange glow. I even use it in the day for it is so good on the eyes
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:37 AM   #28
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPadMini4, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are no details in the article to be able to even begin to evaluate the claims. Even the claim that blue light filters help significantly is lacking in rigorous real world and long term studies.
Yes. Poor methodology information and no replication and no human subjects = wait and see. Also, the researchers' comments about twilight being 'dimmer and bluer' ignore that sunset is very warm (in colour temperature) indeed, and confuses the colour temperature issue with the brightness issue.

I use an orange shift at night because I find it comfortable. And I consider screen brightness to be far more important than screen temperature.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #29
gaudi3
gaudi3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, My wish: Dasung monitor 13.3" My dream: Dasung monitor 32"
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Also, the researchers' comments about twilight being 'dimmer and bluer' ignore that sunset is very warm (in colour temperature) indeed, and confuses the colour temperature issue with the brightness issue.
Unfortunately, they're right. Check out here on page 3 (Figure 2):
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...areness_in_WSN

I repeated the same experiment on a sunny day using the UPRtek MF250N Flicker Meter aimed at setting the sun. The temperature dropped to about 4300K and then it started to rise.

So for me, the best artificial lighting is:
over 97CRI
no hill for blue (equal spectrum)
flicker 100Hz below 0.1%
over 1000lx
indirect light
gaudi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #30
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudi3 View Post
So for me, the best artificial lighting is:
over 97CRI
no hill for blue (equal spectrum)
flicker 100Hz below 0.1%
over 1000lx
indirect light
Have you ever measured the light temperature of a Kindle Paperwhite? I'd love to know what it is.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote