Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
IAmConfused
IAmConfused began at the beginning.

Device: Android Asus Transformer
Calibre and Windows 7 - Advice please

Today on updating to Calibre v 4.2.0 from Calibre v 4.1 running under Windows 7 64 bit I actually saw & read the note on the Downloads page "If you are using Windows 7 or Vista please, use calibre 3.48, which works with all Windows 7/Vista machines, from here. Simply un-install calibre and install 3.48, doing so will not affect your books/setting"

I have had no issues of consequence since updating to Version 4.x; however a friend who I just introduced to Calibre has some flakiness running under Windows 7 32 bit

My question ... does the warning to use Calibre v 3.48 apply to Windows 7 OR just to Windows 7 32 bit (i.e. I've just been lucky on X64 and Calibre 4) ?
IAmConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Open a book in the Editor.
Can you see the text in the Preview pane. You have a system that works.
For some, that pane is blank (white). The reason for the note.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
If Calibre 4.2 is working for you, keep with it.

Have your friend open a command prompt as administrator. Then run "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes). What that will do is check if his Windows is OK or has problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
IAmConfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Open a book in the Editor.
Can you see the text in the Preview pane. You have a system that works.
For some, that pane is blank (white). The reason for the note.
Just to be clear ... other than not being able to preview when editing if running Windows 7 Calibre will run 'normally' otherwise ?
Old 10-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmConfused View Post
Just to be clear ... other than not being able to preview when editing if running Windows 7 Calibre will run 'normally' otherwise ?
AFAIK yes. That has been the only reported issue with W7 (I have that one on my Laptop. I use W10 on my desktop)
Advert
Old 10-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
IAmConfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AFAIK yes. That has been the only reported issue with W7 (I have that one on my Laptop. I use W10 on my desktop)
Thanks very much for your feedback ... removing finger from panic button and resolving to revert to reading screen notices only where all else fails
Old 10-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Another option for your friend is to install the 64-bit 4.x version on his computer *and* the 32-bit 3.48 version. If he wants to use the viewer, he can open up 3.48. If he wants to use the library interface, 4.x.

There's a post from Sirtel here that talks about resetting your associations so it actually opens from 3.48.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
stualden
stualden began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Gen 3
Just to be clear (I'm curious) - does the problem show up in the viewer or the metadata editor (or both)?

Thankfully both are okay for me here (Windows 7 64-bit). I just saw that note about 3.48 this morning.
stualden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stualden View Post
Just to be clear (I'm curious) - does the problem show up in the viewer or the metadata editor (or both)?

Thankfully both are okay for me here (Windows 7 64-bit). I just saw that note about 3.48 this morning.
From what I understand, the problem with Calibre 4.x and Windows 7 only effects some systems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stualden View Post

The Viewer and the EDITOR. Both these render the body of the book.
The MDE work fine (it only makes/views DB entries)
Old 01-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
I have a follow up question for this thread which I found by doing a google search. If my Windows 7 64-bit system is one that still works with Calibre 4.2, should I leave it at 4.2 or is updating a risk. If I leave the desktop at 4.2 will it be able to communicate with a higher version of Calibre on my Windows 10 laptop?
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why not upgrade the Windows 7 system to Windows 10 - it can be done for free.

But regardless of that, there is no reason not to maintain the same version of calibre on your Win7 desktop and your Win10 laptop. If/when Kovid blocks new installs/updates on Win7 it will probably coincide with a major release.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The DB has been stable for quite a while (that is the real compatibility item).
Kovid will notify us, if that become NOT backward compatible.

The PY thing is for the code, which the plugins use. If you stick with W7, you just need to pay attention to NOT load a PI that has been made incompatible

(the PI update notifier checks Calibre installed, so you should NOT see this... BUT... Keep a backup of the entire config folder, just in case you need to put older PI's back )
Old 01-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can keep updating if it works for you, and yes different versions of calibre will interoperate with each other in general, although this is obviously not recommended, as very occassionally there can be backwards incompatible changes, for instance the name or location of some configuration options can change, or the db can grow new tables which old versions of calibre will not know about.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #15
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Thanks Kovid.

I have the same Calibre version on the laptop and the desktop but my question about different versions working together was in case I updated the laptop and but couldn't update the desktop.

The main reason I have not updated to Windows 10 is fear of something going wrong.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote