Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Forma have the wedge-side light issue?
No wedge-side light issue 16 14.81%
Have wedge-side light issue, but living with the issue 63 58.33%
Have wedge-side light issue, seeking warranty replacement 10 9.26%
Have wedge-side light issue, returning for refund 19 17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2020, 01:18 AM   #91
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboyedi View Post
Considering the likely percentage of faulty devices (based on user reports here) I can only imagine the massive legal battle that must be going on in the background between Kobo and the manufacturing plant.
All depends on the manufacturing contract and whether the problem is the Kobo design or a manufacturing quality assurance problem. How much illumination variation is allowed by the design and engineering specifications.

I was involved in quality assurance on Xerox Diablo impact printers and some buyers wanted tighter controls on print quality than was specified by Xerox Diablo engineering. An ongoing problem then.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
It's also just plain hard to get right. The Kindle Oasis 3 took lab126 an *extremely* large amount of iterations to get right, much more so that any other previous devices (and some were already taking the cake, with a crapload of of prototype iterations).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's also just plain hard to get right. The Kindle Oasis 3 took lab126 an *extremely* large amount of iterations to get right, much more so that any other previous devices (and some were already taking the cake, with a crapload of of prototype iterations).
I remember seeing the details on how the lighting is done for eink. (My words: Shine a light in the edge of a thin sheet of plastic, and put imperfections in the plastic so that the light is reflected down on the screen but when it is reflected off the screen it passes straight through that thin sheet of plastic.) After seeing that, I'm more surprised that the light is as even as it is.

But, I have wondered about how the grey stripe is created. Are the LEDs not quite in the right? Or was the design of the light layer wrong? Or did they try something to hide the light cones that were common in older screens, but got it wrong. Any of those could be hard to fix and probably not something that can be done on the factory floor.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #94
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I remember seeing the details on how the lighting is done for eink. (My words: Shine a light in the edge of a thin sheet of plastic, and put imperfections in the plastic so that the light is reflected down on the screen but when it is reflected off the screen it passes straight through that thin sheet of plastic.) After seeing that, I'm more surprised that the light is as even as it is.

But, I have wondered about how the grey stripe is created. Are the LEDs not quite in the right? Or was the design of the light layer wrong? Or did they try something to hide the light cones that were common in older screens, but got it wrong. Any of those could be hard to fix and probably not something that can be done on the factory floor.
Also, minimizing the gradient. It seems like each new iteration comes with something slightly different: light cones, gradient, blotches, gutter, ...

From what I've read, the Oasis 3 doesn't have the gutter issue.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #95
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Also, minimizing the gradient. It seems like each new iteration comes with something slightly different: light cones, gradient, blotches, gutter, ...
I'd certainly trade my A1's blotchiness for the Forma's stripe if I could.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #96
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Yep, it sure raises a few questions .

Has someone ever done a teardown of a Forma? (For Science! )

EDIT: Or, hell, an Oasis 3, too. I know there were a few attempts for the Oasis 2, and they all resulted in a destroyed device, so, fair warning, don't do this at home, kids .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-23-2020 at 02:59 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #97
banfeld
banfeld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
From what I've read, the Oasis 3 doesn't have the gutter issue.
Correct. My Oasis 3 was completely uniform across the screen (to my eyes anyway).

I still prefer the forma. Mine has the 'stripe' but I've never seen it as a defect.
banfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:22 AM   #98
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have both the Forma and both the Oasis versions 9 and 10. I prefer the Oasis units due to both the stiff metal back shell and the much more tactile page turn buttons. It just feels like higher quality to me. The ability to have both 4G and WiFi is also an advantage in my book and is something no Kobo offers that I know of. The 8" screen on the Kobo Forma is nice but both the Oasis and Forma almost square form factors are a disadvantage in my book. I prefer the more vertical layout of earlier readers from both makers including the DX and 6" Kindles and the 6", 7" and 7.8" Kobos. Except for keyboard use and the older 168 PPI not illuminated screen the old Kindle NT gens 4 and 5 are still about my favorite 6" Kindle.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote