Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Moonrakerone
Moonrakerone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile [Resolved] Help me figure out my 2nd generation Kindle strangeness?

I'm having all sorts of issues.
My dad tried to do a screensaver hack and it must have failed or something, but the firmware is stuck at 2.5.6 (501108064) +ss 0.4
I have tried (for way too many hours, really) to uninstall it using original firmware, resetting to factory settings (before i learned that that wouldn't help) and upgrading the screensaver hack.

My dad tried a screensaver hack, but i don't think he had any idea what he was doing. I'm not sure if the device is jailbroken or not, and the screensaver hack is definitely not working. If someone can get me to day 1 firmware, so i can re-hack it properly, or fix my current hacks, i would be eternally grateful.

Serial Number: B003B0A2006XXXXX

Thanks!

Last edited by Moonrakerone; 05-18-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Moonrakerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Can you explain exactly what you mean when you say "I tried to uninstall it using the original firmware"

Did you apply the uninstall file for the screensaver hack or did you try to install an old firmware file?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Moonrakerone

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Can you explain exactly what you mean when you say "I tried to uninstall it using the original firmware"

Did you apply the uninstall file for the screensaver hack or did you try to install an old firmware file?
I have tried to uninstall using the SS hack uninstall file (for the old version, that took forever to find) and i tried using the newest firmware file (2.5.8 i believe) available from amazon to update.

The uninstall file wouldn't let me select update your kindle on the device, it remained gray.

The official kindle update failed. (i would imagine as a result of the hack)
Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you know exactly which BIN file he used to try and install the screensaver hack?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Moonrakerone

Nope, he doesn't know and neither do I
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard

Well my gut says that is probably your problem. Since you say the Screensaver hack didn't work, I suspect that he installed the wrong one for his device - for instance, maybe he tried to put the Kindle US file onto the Kindle International device?

My best guess is that you are going to have to find the right uninstall BIN file for the screensaver hack file that he trued to use, apply that, and then apply the update.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Moonrakerone

I never even thought of that! Is there any easier way to find out which version he tried without just trying every uninstall .bin?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrakerone View Post
I never even thought of that! Is there any easier way to find out which version he tried without just trying every uninstall .bin?
The file linkss/info.txt in my installation lists the version i installed it with... worth to check.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check one of the older SS hacks, mine doesn't touch the version string. (And, as PoP said, they leave a txt file behind).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Moonrakerone

sadly, his response was to delete everything hack related.(including the info file) I have tried a ton of uninstall files of both jailbreaks and screensaver hacks. No luck, still stuck at SS +0.4 I have no idea what to try next

Last edited by Moonrakerone; 05-18-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Moonrakerone

well...something magical happened and i was able to out-stubborn the kindle. Thanks for the help guys!

Tags
hacks, jailbreak, kindle, screensaver