Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-25-2020, 05:47 AM   #1
Kefir
Kefir began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Trojan in Calibre portable 4.91?

Bitdefender reports Trojan.GenericKD.4228400 in Calibre portable 4.9.1 (calibre-portable.exe).

Anybody experienced a similar behaviour?
Kefir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Completely clear according to 70 antivirus products

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/4...370a/detection
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Kefir
Kefir began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
That's what I thought. Thank you.
Kefir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
joelack99
joelack99 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 4
Bitdefender is fine with it but it won’t install for me. “Failed to move Calibre-portable.exe, make sure calibre is not running”. It is not. No, the disk isn’t full
joelack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
joelack99

Exclamation

Update: Bitdefender did not report an error on scan but after update attempt, the Bitdefender log says: Threat Blocked: Trojan.GenerickKD.42284001 Path: F:\Calibre\Calibre Portable\Calibre Portable\_unpack_calibre_portable\Calibre Portable\calibre\portable.exe
I had already deleted that unpack directory in attempt to get installation to proceed. Now it's acting like it doesn't have write permissions.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Bitdefender needs to go. It doesn't work well. Too many false positives.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bitdefender needs to go. It doesn't work well. Too many false positives.
I use bit defender free only on Android tablets, as its very unobtrusive. It has yet to actually detect anything but i would not expect it to. I only use reputable sources.
Malware bytes, which I use on pc, has an annoying habit of starting very slow complete scans on tablets. All I need is for new apps or files to be checked. I don't need a rescan of the 200 apps that it scanned last week!
M does fully scan the pc regularly but usually I am only aware it has happened when a pop up says finished and all clean. There is no visible slow down.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I use bit defender free only on Android tablets, as its very unobtrusive. It has yet to actually detect anything but i would not expect it to. I only use reputable sources.
Malware bytes, which I use on pc, has an annoying habit of starting very slow complete scans on tablets. All I need is for new apps or files to be checked. I don't need a rescan of the 200 apps that it scanned last week!
M does fully scan the pc regularly but usually I am only aware it has happened when a pop up says finished and all clean. There is no visible slow down.
The way I'd like to see scanning work is a full scan is done and then not done unless something is found. Anything missed in the full scan will be found in normal use.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
joelack99

I've never had it pick up anything on file scans. But it does find web intrusion threats regularly if I leave the content server running. False positives? Maybe. Not inclined to turn it off to see.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #10
joelack99

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelack99 View Post
Update: Bitdefender did not report an error on scan but after update attempt, the Bitdefender log says: Threat Blocked: Trojan.GenerickKD.42284001 Path: F:\Calibre\Calibre Portable\Calibre Portable\_unpack_calibre_portable\Calibre Portable\calibre\portable.exe
I had already deleted that unpack directory in attempt to get installation to proceed. Now it's acting like it doesn't have write permissions.
If you've read this far and are curious you may want an update:
I fixed my install problem but not sure what was wrong:
1) I disabled Bitdefender and tried to install -- it still failed; it is unable to copy the .exe into my portable directory. The trojan/virus thought was, as Kovin and JS Wolf indicate, a false positive and not my issue.
2) I created a new directory and installed fresh into it with no problems, then I copied the portable .exe and the Calibre directory from it into the original Calibre directory. Runs fine.

So apparently I can copy files where the installer failed. Yet it was running under my account and should have had no problems. wonder why?
Old 01-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
calibreuserguy
calibreuserguy began at the beginning.

Device: PDF
Multiple detections

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...5a2a/detection

16 antivirus platforms identified malware on the calibre-portable.exe file.
calibreuserguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre-portable.exe is built from a single file, https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...ows/portable.c

that has not changed in 6 months, so I suggest following the advice in https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...a-virus-trojan
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
calibreuserguy
calibreuserguy began at the beginning.

Device: PDF
Version 4.8.0 has fewer hits than version 4.9.0 and 4.9.1, so it does appear that something changed between them.

Version 4.8.0:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...c592/detection
calibreuserguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelack99 View Post
I've never had it pick up anything on file scans. But it does find web intrusion threats regularly if I leave the content server running. False positives? Maybe. Not inclined to turn it off to see.
You don't have to turn off Bitdefender. You have to uninstall it.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
I agree. Get another A/V

A rare false positive may happen.

Repeated false reports lead to ignoring them, and one day a REAL Positive will slip thru.

If you doubt us: Go look at the Calibre Stats page.
Don't you think more than 1 or 2 folk would be screaming VIRUS, here
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote