Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirion View Post

Is there a valid option for having the library in the cloud or something alike at least?
keep a COPY in the cloud for easy access but keep the master copy local. use free file sync utilities set to one way mirror to keep cloud up to date

and you may be able to download directly from cloud to device, using a device browser, which gets around some of the send to... issues
[ some devices work with some cloud solutions , but you need to research it.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
. . .
Is there a valid option for having the library in the cloud or something alike at least?
You should read this ==>> this.

Quote:
. . . use a file syncing tool like DropBox . . . it is essential that you make sure that both calibre and the file syncing tool do not try to access the calibre library at the same time.
What that means in practice, is that you must stop the cloud sync service before you start calibre.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #18
tirion
tirion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
keep a COPY in the cloud for easy access but keep the master copy local. use free file sync utilities set to one way mirror to keep cloud up to date
Thanks man!
I set up a local library and SyncToy for the copy on OneDrive. Works perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You should read this ==>> this.
What that means in practice, is that you must stop the cloud sync service before you start calibre.
Read it (should have done so earlier and safe you all some effort). My thought was, that as long as only one instance of Calibre is accessing the library at a time, I'm safe. Apparently that is not the case.

My use case was to have two computers on two locations and I wanted to edit the library no matter where I'm at.
Guess for now this only works with a USB stick or someting alike.
tirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Thanks man!
I set up a local library and SyncToy for the copy on OneDrive. Works perfectly fine.

My use case was to have two computers on two locations and I wanted to edit the library no matter where I'm at.
1 library, 1 user...access from 2 locations, safely, should be doable. If the library pc is running, use folder share and remote login. If it's only shared to yourself, it should be fine.
There may well be slicker methods, it's not a feature I need some am not expert.

If you are going to have the library on 2 pcs and in the cloud, but you are still the only user, then you just have to be very organised about when to sync and in what direction
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #20
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Amazon wrejects new MOBIs you have to stick to old. And remember that conversion settings are used from previous conversions in preference: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...for-conversion
...or you can go into your output options and change the MOBI file type to "both", which will give you the best of both worlds. You can email the file to Amazon, and you will get the newer (but not the newest) filetype that can handle custom fonts and most of the enhanced typesetting.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
FWIW - the CalibreSpy plugin is a read only library viewer. You can a) use it to view multiple libraries - concurrently, and b) use it on multiple computers - concurrently. Works fine across a LAN, I haven't tried it across a WAN. But it has no metadata update capability, that must be done via the calibre GUI (single library, single instance).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:08 AM   #22
tirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
1 library, 1 user...access from 2 locations, safely, should be doable. If the library pc is running, use folder share and remote login. If it's only shared to yourself, it should be fine.
There may well be slicker methods, it's not a feature I need some am not expert.

If you are going to have the library on 2 pcs and in the cloud, but you are still the only user, then you just have to be very organised about when to sync and in what direction
Alright. I thought now, that even OneDrive itself could fuck the library up somehow.
For now, I think I'll stick with the local version and putting a copy on the cloud. Maybe I'll turn it around some time.

Usually it is not a problem, because only of the two PCs is running at a time, with enough time in-between.
I think I screwed up when I was setting up one of them in parallel and accessed the library almost in parallel..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...or you can go into your output options and change the MOBI file type to "both", which will give you the best of both worlds. You can email the file to Amazon, and you will get the newer (but not the newest) filetype that can handle custom fonts and most of the enhanced typesetting.
Well, when put to "both", my experience is, that the sync of the last read page does not work reliable anymore.
Now that I have the setting on "old", I get both, the flawless sync and the even the book cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FWIW - the CalibreSpy plugin is a read only library viewer. You can a) use it to view multiple libraries - concurrently, and b) use it on multiple computers - concurrently. Works fine across a LAN, I haven't tried it across a WAN. But it has no metadata update capability, that must be done via the calibre GUI (single library, single instance).
That indeed is a really great suggestion! Thanks for that!
I'll check it out when time allows it, but since I'm planning on setting up a NAS anyway, maybe it would be an option to have Calibre running on that and setup CalibreSpy as well?
Or is the virtual library (Web library? Not sure about the exact wording here) better suited for this?
Old 01-21-2020, 04:09 AM   #23
tirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Covers will show if you use the original MOBI format (calibre's MOBI old). In exchange you lose some formatting options.
I hear that a lot, that the "old" setting makes you lose formatting options.
But honestly, I could not see much of a difference.
In which way are the formatting options affected?
Old 01-21-2020, 04:28 AM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I hear that a lot, that the "old" setting makes you lose formatting options.
But honestly, I could not see much of a difference.
In which way are the formatting options affected?
Embedded fonts and some margin settings go. Not every book has them.

You can't use custom fonts or boldness slider on your Kindle with the old mobi either.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:31 AM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I'll check it out when time allows it, but since I'm planning on setting up a NAS anyway, maybe it would be an option to have Calibre running on that and setup CalibreSpy as well?
Don't put your Calibre library on a NAS. It'll mess up your library.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:54 AM   #26
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Have you tried renaming it to .png?, I rename all my epubs to .png and send them via "send to kindle" option and getting covers plus page sync.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon cloud, mobi conversion, rejection