Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
shivahoj
shivahoj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Problem: Alphabetical Author list shows number of books

Hello, I use calibre 4.8 on a Mac with OS X 10.14.6.
Since a few days, the list of authors in the sidebar on the left does not show the alphabetical sorted list of authors any more( All authors with their last name starting with an "A" sorted under "A", and so on), but instead it shows the count of books of all authors, grouped in batches of 100 .
Let me clarify:
The first line under Authors is not "A" with all its authors, but a line saying "295 - 4", and holding 100 authors which have written from 4 up to 295 books.
The next line is "4 - 2", holding the next 100 authors, that have written 2 up to 4 books, and so on. the total count of authors (1079) is correct.
I added a screenshot to show this.

I may have played with some obscure options, but I don't know where and which ones I touched.
Restoring the database from calibre's own backup did not help.
How do I get back to the old-fashioned alphabetical sorting of authors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 10.40.07.png
Views:	150
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	176479  
shivahoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The option you are looking for is on "Look & feel", then "Tag browser". You have changed "Tag browser category partitioning method".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
shivahoj

Thanks a lot, this is about the sorting, but it did not bring back alphabetical sorting.
the options there are "Deactivated, nach(which means "by") and "unterteilt", which means segregated or partitioned. Note the "nach" stands alone, without "alphabet".
Clicking the "return to standard settings" at the bottom immediately shows "sort alphabetically" in the sort options, but nevertheless, it does not do that, even restart does not help.
is this a bug?
Old 01-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
shivahoj

I changed calibre's language to English (so we are on the same page), the second option is "by first letter", not "by alphabet".
I tried all the options, "disabled" and "partitioned" do work, "sort by first letter" does not. But I can change the number of authors per partition in petitioned mode.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The idea was half right, it does set the partition size.
The real place to get it back is at the bottom of the tag browser:
Use the settings icon on the left bottom
Sort by: NAME
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
shivahoj

Yep, that did work.
Thanks a lot!

Tags