Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #16
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Yup, changing to "Justify" in the Preferences will always work. The only problem with that is your cover images might not be centered, because this setting justifies all pages.

I prefer to change the text alignment in the CSS file for the actual classes used for the first paragraph and all other paragraphs.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #17
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't understand CSS or html or any other programing. Please tell me slowly, step by step.
If you want to change the actual classes in the CSS file, open up one of the HTML pages and find the first paragraph in a chapter. For example, <p class="noindent">. Then change the "noindent" class in the CSS file to have text-align: justify;. Do the same for the class used in the rest of the paragraphs. For example, <p class="text">. Change the "text" class in the CSS file to have text-align: justify;.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
If you want to change the actual classes in the CSS file, open up one of the HTML pages and find the first paragraph in a chapter. For example, <p class="noindent">. Then change the "noindent" class in the CSS file to have text-align: justify;. Do the same for the class used in the rest of the paragraphs. For example, <p class="text">. Change the "text" class in the CSS file to have text-align: justify;.
What a long way around for a shortcut.

If there is a body class and if not, add one and make sure it has text-align: justify;. Then remove all lines of text-align: left;. That's the easiest way to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #19
deback
Book E d i t o r

Yup, that will also work, but it's always good to know all your options, so it's not "a long way around for a shortcut." I already mentioned changing the <body> class in a prior post.

The problem with your method is this: You are editing the <body> class AND the two paragraph classes. So, your method involves three edits and my method involves only two edits (which is actually the easiest and quickest way to do it). Either way, the result is the same. I happen to prefer the quicker method by changing two "left" words to two "justify" words. And I use a macro to add this: text-align: justify; So, how can making only two edits be "a long way around" compared to making three edits? Think about it...

I also have a macro (plus many more) that does the following (which I use often): margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0; margin-top: 0; text-align: justify; text-indent: 1.2em; I just highlight all lines in the CSS file for the paragraph class and hit the macro hotkey to copy over whatever is listed in that class.

Last edited by deback; 01-12-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yup, that will also work, but it's always good to know all your options, so it's not "a long way around for a shortcut." I already mentioned changing the <body> class in a prior post.

The problem with your method is this: You are editing the <body> class AND the two paragraph classes. So, your method involves three edits and my method involves only two edits (which is actually the easiest and quickest way to do it). Either way, the result is the same. I happen to prefer the quicker method by changing two "left" words to two "justify" words. And I use a macro to add this: text-align: justify; So, how can making only two edits be "a long way around" compared to making three edits? Think about it...

I also have a macro (plus many more) that does the following (which I use often): margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0; margin-top: 0; text-align: justify; text-indent: 1.2em; I just highlight all lines in the CSS file for the paragraph class and hit the macro hotkey to copy over whatever is listed in that class.
Actually, your way is not always the easiest. There are sometimes other classes that go with <p> that are not the standard paragraph or noindent paragraph. Especially when doing offset text because the publishers do not feel that using a <blockquote> is a good idea when it's the best idea.

Doing it my way, you don't have to deal with an unknown amount of <p> classes. You just set up the justify in body, dump any left justification and your done.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thank you for the HTML answers, but I don't understand any of it. I don't even know where to find the HTML for a book.

On the other hand, I don't mind having off-centre covers; I spend very little time looking at the covers, prefering List View on the kindle. This seems a simpler way to do this too.

I'm sure your more complex answers will help someone more into programing.

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #22
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Actually, your way is not always the easiest. There are sometimes other classes that go with <p> that are not the standard paragraph or noindent paragraph. Especially when doing offset text because the publishers do not feel that using a <blockquote> is a good idea when it's the best idea.
Actually, my way is the quickest and easiest. Offset text is not frequent enough to worry about justifying it (for the original poster, that is), but I never use blockquote (and I understand why publishers who know what they're doing don't use blockquote). I have certain classes in my template CSS file for offset text: text1, text2, text3, etc. They all have different formats, and it's very quick for me to add a number after "text" for the different formats I need for the offset text. My system is simple but very effective, fast, and the results are fantastic. I spent a lot of time coming up with the perfect editing process, and it was worth every minute I spent setting it all up. Your advice usually makes no sense to me, and it usually sounds like it would be much more time-consuming than my system. But thanks for trying!

Last edited by deback; 01-12-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #23
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Thank you for the HTML answers, but I don't understand any of it. I don't even know where to find the HTML for a book.
You can just use the Look and Feel setting to continue justifying the text. When I mentioned HTML, I was referring to the files that are listed on the left side of the Calibre Editor. They all should have the extension of either html, htm, or xhtml. Double clicking on any of them will open the file, so you can see all the codes for each paragraph, etc. Then you can open the stylesheet.css file that's listed below the HTML files in order to edit things in that file.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:04 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Actually, my way is the quickest and easiest. Offset text is not frequent enough to worry about justifying it (for the original poster, that is), but I never use blockquote (and I understand why publishers who know what they're doing don't use blockquote). I have certain classes in my template CSS file for offset text: text1, text2, text3, etc. They all have different formats, and it's very quick for me to add a number after "text" for the different formats I need for the offset text. My system is simple but very effective, fast, and the results are fantastic. I spent a lot of time coming up with the perfect editing process, and it was worth every minute I spent setting it all up. Your advice usually makes no sense to me, and it usually sounds like it would be much more time-consuming than my system. But thanks for trying!
Sorry, your now twice wrong. You way is not the best way as it won't work in all cases and as for the publishers, they make a great many formatting/coding mistakes. There's no reason at all not to use <blockquote> in most cases.

When you fix the justification my way in CSS, it's properly fixed for all classes. Do it your way and you could miss out some classes. Plus, you have to find all the classes to add in the code to justify. My wau, you just have to add in the code once. You still have to remove all the left justify code in either case. Adding in body if need be is trivial.

I have a shortcut setup in Calibre. All I do is type body and then hit control-j and my body and p classes as added in. I do have to dump the p class if the publisher added one. Otherwise I'll have two p classes.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:05 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

On the other hand, I don't mind having off-centre covers; I spend very little time looking at the covers, prefering List View on the kindle. This seems a simpler way to do this too.

I'm sure your more complex answers will help someone more into programing.

Thanks.
All of this is in the eBook's CSS. You can get to it by using the editor. The easiest way to get to the editor is to select the eBook and press T. You can only edit ePub or KF8.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #26
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Sorry, your [sic] now twice wrong. You [sic] way is not the best way as it won't work in all cases and as for the publishers, they make a great many formatting/coding mistakes. There's no reason at all not to use <blockquote> in most cases.

When you fix the justification my way in CSS, it's properly fixed for all classes. Do it your way and you could miss out some classes. Plus, you have to find all the classes to add in the code to justify. My wau [sic], you just have to add in the code once. You still have to remove all the left justify code [sic] in either case. Adding in body if need be is trivial.
One thing you're missing is that I don't usually want all classes to be justified. I want just the first paragraph and the rest of the paragraphs to be justified. There might be some left-justified classes that I want to stay that way. You can argue all you want, but I will keep using my method, since it is the best and most efficient method.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
One thing you're missing is that I don't usually want all classes to be justified. I want just the first paragraph and the rest of the paragraphs to be justified. There might be some left-justified classes that I want to stay that way. You can argue all you want, but I will keep using my method, since it is the best and most efficient method.
Sorry, but it's not the most efficient method. It's rather inefficient in comparison.

Tags
justification, ragged margins